Tea Leafs - What Have You Had Nicked?

Thomas C King

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Fortuntely, no tax payers money involved, apart perhaps from clearing up some of the mess. These various dockless bike hire schemes were all funded by investors who thought that the cost of cheap chinese bikes and gig economy staff to operate the scheme could be funded by a combination of the hire charges and huge amount of valuable data they were going to get from analysising the travel patterns of all the debit/credit card holding scheme members. But they underestimated the propensity of a proportion of the Great British Public to trash anything given half an opportunity. And whilst the whole 'Big Data' thing sounds scary, I struggle to see what real value the likes of Google or Amazon or whoever would get from a few mostly short haul bike rides around urban areas. The upshot was that the investors appetite to fund piles of mangled bikes on street corners proved to be limited, and most (all?) schemes have ceased operating.

Actually it was funded by council and universities Google it

I was sat in the back cabin once when moored in Sheffield,  about 6pm. Heard a clanging noise and felt the boat rock so I climbed out and walked up to the bow where a young man was wrestling my bike from the front deck.

"What the f#$k are you doing?" I enquired, 

"I'm taking the bike and leaving mine as this is better " he replied,  in an Eastern European accent. 

• Horror 1

36 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

I was sat in the back cabin once when moored in Sheffield,  about 6pm. Heard a clanging noise and felt the boat rock so I climbed out and walked up to the bow where a young man was wrestling my bike from the front deck.

"What the f#$k are you doing?" I enquired, 

"I'm taking the bike and leaving mine as this is better " he replied,  in an Eastern European accent. 

Did he get the bike? Or something else?

10 hours ago, noddyboater said:

The higher end of the market maybe, but the type stolen in urban areas from boats usually end up on the canal bed a few yards away, especially if like Lady G's they can't even be ridden.

I get pestered by scum trying to sell stolen bikes where I work in Sheffield,  sometimes for as little as £10. I'll often see the bike left leaning on a wall somewhere nearby when they've got bored of wheeling it around with the sales pitch "do you want a mountain bike pal? It's 500 quids worth but you can have it for 20"

One of the regular shits turned up with a set of triple aluminium ladders once which I could have for £25. There was probably some poor bugger stuck on a roof up the road!

These types are not pros but opportunists who grab any unlock unattended bike. The pros have moved onto stealing bikes in the £250-£500 price range, for which there has been a large demand since April. Try buying new one from a shop, there is little choice as most have been sold and there is a large back order. Our local shop sold more bikes in April, than he normally does in the three months to Christmas. Other from parts his shop is bare apart from one or two high end models.

3 hours ago, peterboat said:

Actually it was funded by council and universities Google it

Most are not funded by the local Council or Univerersities,  Mobikes, Beryl, Lime bikes, are all privately funded and have to work closely with local councils, to insure quick removal of dumped bikes. The odd council may give a grant, but in most cases most of the setup cost is covered by the company.    

Last year, Mobike withdrew from Manchester after claiming that 10pc of its fleet were vandalised or stolen. Chinese bike hire firm Ofo cited the same reason for abandoning the UK market altogether last year. Most of Mobikes and Ofe bike fleet in Cambridge ended up in the Cam. Which is why they pulled out of Cambridge.

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have lost two things, a tank full of diesel and a line I tied the dog to. This was in Oxford and I had a line about 4 mts long tied to the step on the cabin side that I use to use to tether the dog with. One night someone undid it and took it.

Did they take the dog as well?

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

Did he get the bike? Or something else?

As you're aware there's absolutely zero security in Sheffield basin so I had to be careful as the boat was left unattended for 12 hours a day. 

I sent him off on his own bike with a warning that we don't do that kind of thing around these parts,  with bikes, boats, cars or anything else. 

Actually to say there was no security at that time wasn't strictly true, there were cameras and 24 hour guards in an office on site supposedly watching them. And patrolling every 30 minutes.  Of course they did neither.

I've never paid so much for a mooring and had so many sleepless nights.

• Love 1

53 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Most are not funded by the local Council or Univerersities,  Mobikes, Beryl, Lime bikes, are all privately funded and have to work closely with local councils, to insure quick removal of dumped bikes. The odd council may give a grant, but in most cases most of the setup cost is covered by the company.    

Last year, Mobike withdrew from Manchester after claiming that 10pc of its fleet were vandalised or stolen. Chinese bike hire firm Ofo cited the same reason for abandoning the UK market altogether last year. Most of Mobikes and Ofe bike fleet in Cambridge ended up in the Cam. Which is why they pulled out of Cambridge.

Did they take the dog as well?

No he was asleep under the bed

12 hours ago, noddyboater said:

As you're aware there's absolutely zero security in Sheffield basin so I had to be careful as the boat was left unattended for 12 hours a day. 

I sent him off on his own bike with a warning that we don't do that kind of thing around these parts,  with bikes, boats, cars or anything else. 

Actually to say there was no security at that time wasn't strictly true, there were cameras and 24 hour guards in an office on site supposedly watching them. And patrolling every 30 minutes.  Of course they did neither.

I've never paid so much for a mooring and had so many sleepless nights.

It's crap down there with the drug dealing in the lane

14 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

... I had a line about 4 mts long tied to the step on the cabin side that I use to use to tether the dog with. One night someone undid it and took it.

I bet the dog did it, whilst you were asleep it was using its iBone to watch Braveheart on Petflix and decided it liked the idea of FREEEDOM!

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

Before moving to the boat yard I used to moor on the first CRT long term, towpath side approaching the basin. The plan was always to reinstate the gate to stop scrotes wandering up at night from the gloom under the bridges but it never happened. 

Apart from numerous thefts from boats, cars being vandalised, drug dealing/taking and prostitution we had three dead uns - two in the water and one down the lane.

• Horror 1

44 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Fingers crossed, so far only a tin of Double Diamond. (That was a beer, for the younger members on here, though some might disagree).

When every pub in our part of the world had Watneys red barrel I took to drinking bottle double diamond and at that time enjoyed it very much. 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

It worked wonders you know...

I did a little Google and this came up but I am not sure I would believe what Paul says 

It has been alleged that small scale production of the bottled variant continues as it is Prince Philip's favourite beer, with Paul Burrell attesting that Philip drank a small bottle nightly

• Greenie 1

On 18/09/2020 at 09:44, peterboat said:

If it’s so crap why is it full and people have moved from Tulley’s to there and feel more safe? ?There’s drug dealing everywhere these days especially in quiet locations.

Also why do you bother coming up so often if it’s crap??(you know your ok to visit anytime) Since you had things taken from your boat there has been at least three beak ins of boats and garages/sheds at the boat yard and non in the basin and the Yard is more secure. The most recent last Bank Holiday Monday a few weeks ago when you last visited.

The Basin often gets rough sleepers, drug takers, drunks just like all similar places in the country, but also when the police and council have a purge in the city centre they tend to migrate to the edges of the city including the canal. This only lasts a week or so until the council/police finish their crack down and they all move back into the main city centre. This is always obvious when the World Snooker Champs are on.

Take it easy?

Edited by PD1964

On 18/09/2020 at 12:38, noddyboater said:

Before moving to the boat yard I used to moor on the first CRT long term, towpath side approaching the basin. The plan was always to reinstate the gate to stop scrotes wandering up at night from the gloom under the bridges but it never happened. 

Apart from numerous thefts from boats, cars being vandalised, drug dealing/taking and prostitution we had three dead uns - two in the water and one down the lane.

And how many years ago was that?

On 15/09/2020 at 21:07, Loddon said:

My country has been stolen by a bunch of fascists ;)

What about their Co-conspirators, a tiny fraction over half of those who voted. I believe some of the ex constabulary amongst them. Appalling behaviour. 

4 hours ago, PD1964 said:

If it’s so crap why is it full and people have moved from Tulley’s to there and feel more safe? ?There’s drug dealing everywhere these days especially in quiet locations.

Also why do you bother coming up so often if it’s crap??(you know your ok to visit anytime) Since you had things taken from your boat there has been at least three beak ins of boats and garages/sheds at the boat yard and non in the basin and the Yard is more secure. The most recent last Bank Holiday Monday a few weeks ago when you last visited.

The Basin often gets rough sleepers, drug takers, drunks just like all similar places in the country, but also when the police and council have a purge in the city centre they tend to migrate to the edges of the city including the canal. This only lasts a week or so until the council/police finish their crack down and they all move back into the main city centre. This is always obvious when the World Snooker Champs are on.

Take it easy?

One couple now split up! I suspect you pay far more than myself to moor, and my widebeam has no extra cost over a NB. I have an apple, cherry and plum tree at my moorings which score higher than cobbles for me! That's before we think about exhaust pollution due to the multiple roads in close proximity to your moorings 

3 hours ago, peterboat said:

One couple now split up! I suspect you pay far more than myself to moor, and my widebeam has no extra cost over a NB. I have an apple, cherry and plum tree at my moorings which score higher than cobbles for me! That's before we think about exhaust pollution due to the multiple roads in close proximity to your moorings 

I think your thinking about a different couple as they don’t look split up to me. I also think most boaters would prefer a city centre mooring then Tulley’s., there’s just so more things to do.
  So why do you still do that slow trip up the flight so often and still moan if it’s that bad? 

Edited by PD1964