Tea Leafs - What Have You Had Nicked?

Thomas C King

Featured Posts

Henley on Thames a few years ago, some Pillocks nicked a broom of the roof, heard 'em do it too, some posh kids by the sound of the accents, One was called  'Gove' 'cos the other one was braying like a donkey chortling 'well done Govey' and 'Govey' replied 'Jolly good jape eh Boris,, Wonder what happened to the theiving little gits.

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 2

Leamington Spa, someone nicked our barge pole. Presumably they wanted to touch something with it!

In the countryside on the Oxford near Clattercote someone took our "tippy" ash can from the towpath where it had been left so the co could disperse safely. Purely coincidental that there was a line of permanent moorings opposite on the off side.

Hammering through milton keynes on the motor realised the cat had got off the butty, held over in the bridgehole and grabbed the bloody thing. Dived into cabin dropped the bedhole and stuffed her in.

Got back on the counter and shouted to Sue on the butty ‘ive got the cat’.

Her response lead to the katnapped mog being removed from the bedhole and returned pronto to the towpath.

Serious theft at cropredy of our hold broom of all things. We never moor there any more , its a den of thieves. Driving through we never stop in case they steal the wheels at the lights , and cycling through we make sure we have both front and rear incident camera’s  on continuous.

Desperate place,  Hs2 goes near, they will steal the copper and the lines im sure.

About 20 years ago I met a bloke who was moored on a stretch of the GU near Hemel who left his boat for a week and came back to find his engine, gearbox and stove had been nicked! That was definitely other boaters because he was moored at least 500 yards from the nearest road. Someone who knew about boats did it.

About 8 years ago on the Thames at Wraysbury I knew someone who's batteries were nicked.

That's why I'm fairly security conscious. 

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

About 20 years ago I met a bloke who was moored on a stretch of the GU near Hemel who left his boat for a week and came back to find his engine, gearbox and stove had been nicked! That was definitely other boaters because he was moored at least 500 yards from the nearest road. Someone who knew about boats did it.

About 8 years ago on the Thames at Wraysbury I knew someone who's batteries were nicked.

That's why I'm fairly security conscious. 

Same thing happen on Peterborough embankment, east of the parkway bridge a few years back.

On 15/09/2020 at 10:22, Alan de Enfield said:

If it is boaters, is it going to become even more prevalent as more and more 'boaters on a budget' try to move onto the waterways ?

On a budget is not the same as dishonest. The people who take these things are just thieving scumbags , its not like stealing food because they are starving to death.

• Greenie 4

On 15/09/2020 at 11:24, Dav and Pen said:

Over the years had the oil pressure gauge taken off the roof at Braunston, a lump hammer and part tin of red oxide also Braunston. At hinckley boat club broken into cassette player and booze taken, lots of other boats at same time. In Belgium aluminum gangway and folding bike. Bikes are real targets in Belgium and France.

Two bikes, one was being broken up to take to skip, broad daylight, ALDI Retford, I should have chased them on my other bike, but wasted time calling cops, , next one was 04.00 at Worksop, a week later, again, wasted time phoning cops, by the time I got organised they were long gone, downtown Worksop is very busy at 04.00, early shift at sandwich factory finishes.

Now got a small vintage shopper, tied to a tree this time, I might hear the chainsaw.

Polis suggested a Pir device, that might work, maybe, nothing will stop the most determined, neither of the bikes were capable of being ridden off. I suspect it is a massive network of thieves, probably selling in London/Manchester, no local ads, so far.

Edited by LadyG

Stolen bikes are moved to another part of the country. This is the MO of the modern professional cycle thief. These thieves target expensive bicycles. They have the tools that can cut through any lock and aim to resell stolen bikes at a price near their market value. These thieves acquire the bicycles from the people homes, hotels, caravans and vans. And then resell them on online markets from another part of the country to maximise the selling price.

On the River Nene somewhere between Wellingborough & Thrapston, an empty cassette nicked from my bow. As I discovered when my last (supposed to be a spare after this) cassette was full & needed changing. Definitely didn't leave it on the towpath, the elsan point at Wellingborough was closed. 

7 hours ago, LadyG said:

Two bikes, one was being broken up to take to skip, broad daylight, ALDI Retford, I should have chased them on my other bike, but wasted time calling cops, , next one was 04.00 at Worksop, a week later, again, wasted time phoning cops, by the time I got organised they were long gone, downtown Worksop is very busy at 04.00, early shift at sandwich factory finishes.

Now got a small vintage shopper, tied to a tree this time, I might hear the chainsaw.

Polis suggested a Pir device, that might work, maybe, nothing will stop the most determined, neither of the bikes were capable of being ridden off. I suspect it is a massive network of thieves, probably selling in London/Manchester, no local ads, so far.

Sounds like they saved you a job nicking a bike you were going to skip?

8 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

Stolen bikes are moved to another part of the country. This is the MO of the modern professional cycle thief. These thieves target expensive bicycles. They have the tools that can cut through any lock and aim to resell stolen bikes at a price near their market value. These thieves acquire the bicycles from the people homes, hotels, caravans and vans. And then resell them on online markets from another part of the country to maximise the selling price.

The higher end of the market maybe, but the type stolen in urban areas from boats usually end up on the canal bed a few yards away, especially if like Lady G's they can't even be ridden.

I get pestered by scum trying to sell stolen bikes where I work in Sheffield,  sometimes for as little as £10. I'll often see the bike left leaning on a wall somewhere nearby when they've got bored of wheeling it around with the sales pitch "do you want a mountain bike pal? It's 500 quids worth but you can have it for 20"

One of the regular shits turned up with a set of triple aluminium ladders once which I could have for £25. There was probably some poor bugger stuck on a roof up the road!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, noddyboater said:

The higher end of the market maybe, but the type stolen in urban areas from boats usually end up on the canal bed a few yards away, especially if like Lady G's they can't even be ridden.

I get pestered by scum trying to sell stolen bikes where I work in Sheffield,  sometimes for as little as £10. I'll often see the bike left leaning on a wall somewhere nearby when they've got bored of wheeling it around with the sales pitch "do you want a mountain bike pal? It's 500 quids worth but you can have it for 20"

One of the regular shits turned up with a set of triple aluminium ladders once which I could have for £25. There was probably some poor bugger stuck on a roof up the road!

Can you remember the yellow Sheffield Bikes? they must have all found their way to the basin and then the canal! Every druggie in Sheffield was running around on them for a couple of weeks it seemed

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

Can you remember the yellow Sheffield Bikes? they must have all found their way to the basin and then the canal! Every druggie in Sheffield was running around on them for a couple of weeks it seemed

I remember them well! Most ended up in mangled piles on Pitsmoor street corners.

What a splendid waste of tax payers money. 

• Greenie 1

On 15/09/2020 at 18:10, Alway Swilby said:

In the countryside on the Oxford near Clattercote someone took our "tippy" ash can from the towpath where it had been left so the co could disperse safely. Purely coincidental that there was a line of permanent moorings opposite on the off side.

Since, in recent years, at least three CWDF members have moored there, yes, I'm sure it was purely coincidental.

On 15/09/2020 at 21:07, Loddon said:

My country has been stolen by a bunch of fascists ;)

I thought you were British. Obviously not.

2 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

Pretty sure bunch isn’t the correct collective noun to describe fascists; though to be fair the most app one probably isn’t allowed in polite society

A goosestep of fascists?

I can't think of any obscene collective nouns,and you don't need to enlighten us, thanks!

1 hour ago, noddyboater said:

I remember them well! Most ended up in mangled piles on Pitsmoor street corners.

What a splendid waste of tax payers money. 

Fortuntely, no tax payers money involved, apart perhaps from clearing up some of the mess. These various dockless bike hire schemes were all funded by investors who thought that the cost of cheap chinese bikes and gig economy staff to operate the scheme could be funded by a combination of the hire charges and huge amount of valuable data they were going to get from analysising the travel patterns of all the debit/credit card holding scheme members. But they underestimated the propensity of a proportion of the Great British Public to trash anything given half an opportunity. And whilst the whole 'Big Data' thing sounds scary, I struggle to see what real value the likes of Google or Amazon or whoever would get from a few mostly short haul bike rides around urban areas. The upshot was that the investors appetite to fund piles of mangled bikes on street corners proved to be limited, and most (all?) schemes have ceased operating.

Edited by David Mack