Needs Tidying Up Project Widebeam

matty40s

Featured Posts

Sad to see a boat like that.

On 15/09/2020 at 08:03, Athy said:

How polite you are. I've rarely seen a boat looking so knackered.

I realise that it's been under water, but does that explain the piles of rubble inside?

I don't thinks its rubble is it?? Looks like the remnants of the interior (including wall boards and insulation)  mixed with a bit of sludge from the Thames.

36 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Sad to see a boat like that.

I don't thinks its rubble is it?? Looks like the remnants of the interior (including wall boards and insulation)  mixed with a bit of sludge from the Thames.

Possibly ballast too. Rubble usually started life as something useful,, hence the expression "reduced to rubble".

Edited by Athy

Looks like they have covered the problem of it turning up in the same place and going adrift again. 

"Any potential purchaser should have means and proof of being able to remove this boat to a suitable refurbishment centre within 2 weeks of the sale ending.  Failure to provide such proof at the time of the close of the sale will result in the cancelation of the sale, loss of deposit & the craft will be instantly offered to the under bidder, Direct from Environment Agency, On Site "

What a sensible clause to put in. Environment Agency playing hard ball for a change... About time. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

It was only under water for a few weeks it's basically a shell with a bit of work to tidy it out. 

You are optimisitic!

Engine unknown, gearbox probably alright but unknown, electrics all scrap, doesn't look like there was much fit out but what there is is scrap, no windows, superstructure and hull damaged and all submerged for a few weeks.

Wouldn't be my first choice as a project boat!!

Well its a better project than many, better project than the old wooden joey boat I started on , A couple of weeks really hard work would make a really big difference, its got stern gear, prop, gearbox (engines probably not worth the bother) and as for that big dent in the stern just fit a ladder in it and say its deliberate for reboarding if you fall in.

20 minutes ago, Bee said:

engines probably not worth the bother

Given it's a 2018 engine that's probably not got a huge number of hours on it I'd be tempted to take it apart and see what sort of state it's in before condemning it.

To be honest clearing out the inside of the boat and giving it the attentions of a pressure washer might result in something that doesn't look too shabby.

Would have to be pretty cheap though, but I've seen people try to fix up much worse prospects than this one!

• Greenie 1

45 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

You are optimisitic!

Engine unknown, gearbox probably alright but unknown, electrics all scrap, doesn't look like there was much fit out but what there is is scrap, no windows, superstructure and hull damaged and all submerged for a few weeks.

Get @W+T on the job.

I've seen his boats ...

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

The boat is near me and I think quite new. Therefore the basic shell will be OK keep the dent as a feature. I think in reality it is worth very little. Lets say 50% of a new shell less costs of storage, lifting, clearing up, painting etc. If you have to pay Thames prices for storage/mooring I think about 5-6K max. It might well become a work boat as others have in the past so I think it will go that way in the end.

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

You are optimisitic!

Surely its just the equivalent of a bare shell.

Shovel out all the crud and you have the makings of a cheap boat.

Strip down the engine clean and it may yet run. If it wasnt running when it went down there is every chance it will be OK. Ok you will need new engine electrics probably and of course domestic electrics too but for anybody who has the skills and the time themselves and doesn't have to pay somebody else to do it I would say its worth a punt.

The paint job looks pretty cool to me. Maybe it will set a new trend. 

The Fire Brigade often seem to sink boats but this one was sunk when it was hauled off Sunbury Weir by a tug during the winter floods. It had been sitting against the guard piles for quite a while and then for some reason a tug was sent out to retrieve it. I suspect because it had started to interact with part of the weir structure but I don't know this for sure.

Screenshot_2020-09-17-11-47-29-838_com.android.chrome.png.156c192376491b3353df93f87ac3fbc4.png

Not my photo I found it on canalworld. 

Edited by magnetman