Marina entrances

Steph H

Featured Posts

On 15/09/2020 at 17:56, ditchcrawler said:

And Dunchurch Pools had to get special permission to have a wide entrance and long stop planks (to get the fat ones in and out)

Quite remarkable given the north Oxford doesn't have a wide beam profile. Even CRT admit that but say it is not POLICY to prevent the buggers going to and from. I'm not sure about special permission, no-one at CRT objected to the plans which I assume was the nod through.  It's tight enough through Willoughby cutting when passing narrowboats. 

3 hours ago, rustynewbery said:

Quite remarkable given the north Oxford doesn't have a wide beam profile. Even CRT admit that but say it is not POLICY to prevent the buggers going to and from. I'm not sure about special permission, no-one at CRT objected to the plans which I assume was the nod through.  It's tight enough through Willoughby cutting when passing narrowboats. 

I went to look at the marina, it was on our list when we moved from Anderton and I was chatting to the chap that designed it and it was him who told me that they needed C&RT permission for the wide entrance

12 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I went to look at the marina, it was on our list when we moved from Anderton and I was chatting to the chap that designed it and it was him who told me that they needed C&RT permission for the wide entrance

Any new marina entrance needs to be approved by CRT as part of the Network Access Agreement process.

On 15/09/2020 at 12:30, Steph H said:

Some great replies thank you. 

As a fairly new boater I've just found it difficult getting into a marina at times and its rather off putting when marina staff look at you like your an idiot, so just wondered what the reasoning was.

Now when I go into one I'll be marking myself out of 10 and humming the Dam Busters music ??

take a good look at any marina entrance, why do you think they are so battered, dented and scuffed :D 

everyone struggles at some point, you can have all the experience in the world but one good gust of wind at the wrong moment can turn a perfect entry into a scene from Pinball Wizard.

Once when we came back to Overwater on a windy day there were two full coach loads of old dears sat outside the cafe waiting for their turn on the little trip boat, i got in ok, turned reasonably ok, lined up for the service pontoon and then the wind slammed me broadside into it, reckon my face could be seen from the ISS.

On 15/09/2020 at 11:39, koukouvagia said:

When Peter Topping had Cowroast Marina dug out he bought a rather nice historic bridge to span the entrance.  I can't remember where it originally came from.  This determined the width of the entrance. 

A few years ago we nearby moorers watched a widebeam get well and truly stuck in the entrance, because the then owner of Cowroast gave the boater the wrong dimensions.  Oops!

They did that when they built Hilperton Marina, except that it was actually the old occupation bridge which spanned the canal and was moved when they replaced it with modern larger bridge when the built the housing deveopment next to the Marina.

Entrance to Hilperton Marina, Kennet &... © Christine Johnstone  cc-by-sa/2.0 :: Geograph Britain and Ireland

Imagine the scene. Two gravel pits next door to be cojoined. 360 excavator breaks the bund between the two, massive in rush of water which washes away the soil the 360 is sitting on. Cue demented driver whirling the 360 round and round dumping soil to slow the water flow. Seen in Surrey a good few years back now.

Edited by mark99

2 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

take a good look at any marina entrance, why do you think they are so battered, dented and scuffed :D 

everyone struggles at some point, you can have all the experience in the world but one good gust of wind at the wrong moment can turn a perfect entry into a scene from Pinball Wizard.

Once when we came back to Overwater on a windy day there were two full coach loads of old dears sat outside the cafe waiting for their turn on the little trip boat, i got in ok, turned reasonably ok, lined up for the service pontoon and then the wind slammed me broadside into it, reckon my face could be seen from the ISS.

The entrance to Milton Keynes Marina is pretty tight too. I occasionally used to steer the restaurant boat "Captain Toby" from there. The boat was 72ft long (and handled very badly) so there was no point in taking things gently as you would only get wedged between the entrance and the opposite bank - which necessitated getting somebody off the bow to walk it around. The only way, especially on a windy day, was to pick your moment and use full throttle as you put the tiller over; it was impossible to see the bank over the bow so you just had to pray that it came around OK without hitting the bank, because inside the boat were maybe a couple of dozen seated diners who had just had a full plate of soup placed in the table in front of them!

• Greenie 1

A marina built about ten years ago had its entrance dimensions determined by the BW Marinas unit.  What they didn’t do was take into consideration the width of the canal at that point, which made turning in with a 60ft pretty tricky.

The marina owner eventually got CRT to agree to let them widen the entrance.  An expensive job requiring the marina entrance to be closed for several weeks.

• 1 month later...
On 15/09/2020 at 13:36, Nightwatch said:

When I in the RN and the ship was in dry dock, always interesting to see the sea stopping the dry dock not being a dry dock. Intensional of course. Then the gradual movement of the ship becoming a ship again.

I get the same enjoyment with narrow boats.

Is it just me?

Getting a ship on the blocks and then off again is always a nerve racking experience, both as a ChMate (1st Lt for you Grey Funnel line chaps) as he has to do all the hard work getting ready for the dock including the stability calculations as well as being the “Old Man” ( my first trip as Capt I was actually the youngest on board apart from the 2nd Mate and the Cadet!) 

• Greenie 1

On 15/09/2020 at 21:34, Alan de Enfield said:

They are still practising to ensure they are prepared for 'next time'.

Picture taken from the BBMF Dakota.

20200104-103557.jpg

Been a war crime since 1977 under Article 56 rule 42 of the Geneva Convention.

(Article 56 of the 1977 additional protocols https://ihl-databases.icrc.org/customary-ihl/eng/docs/v2_cha_chapter13_

rule42)