Two into one (boats in a narrow lock)

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Halsey said:

Shouldn't the plastic be behind the steel to minimise crushing risk??

This situation doesn't happen very often these days but I'm sure that's what I used to do with my (first) 32ft steel rugby boat

The risk was theirs and they didn’t seem concerned. Originally they were behind as they caught us up at Fradley but were struggling to maintain steerage through Alrewas so I let them pass and they chose to enter the next locks first. I held my boat on a line to ensure it stayed clear of the cill and of their boat before stepping back on board to drive out of the lock.

Edited by Captain Pegg

4 hours ago, Halsey said:

And that is a Teal and an Ormelite (one of my favourite boats of all time) unless I miss my guess ?

One of them was certainly an Ormelite, I didn't recognise the other so you are likely right on that one too

4 hours ago, Halsey said:

Shouldn't the plastic be behind the steel to minimise crushing risk??

Yes, although I worry far less about a steel boat coming up behind Juno that I do about them coming along side - behind they simply have to stop in time, alongside they have to aim straight...