Two into one (boats in a narrow lock)

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Used to happen a lot when my parents had a cruiser in the 70's.

Yes, I recall it well, we even had two narrow boats in locks together on my first couple of "grown up" boat holidays - we rented a 38 foot one year and a 32 foot the next, and on both occasions shared with other short narrow boats

A while ago we had us (70 foot) and two short narrowboats all sharing a K&A lock. A few weeks ago I watched a plastic cruiser and a short narrowboat share a wide Rochdale lock and they did it one behind the other rather than side by side.

..............Dave

I can remember a hire boat trip in the mid 70s when we did the 'Bunbury Shuffle' with one 50ish ft narrow boat and 6 30-40 ft cruisers and narrow boats, swapping places at the intermediate level. All done under the direction of Dartline staff who were obviously used to it. I don't suppose they often get more than three boats doing it now.

Isn't (the early examples above), the way things used to work?

Two or more crews - of like minds 'said' OK - it can be done, let's work together - to make it happen.

Shirley, that's what boating's about - tiral and (happy) error??

10 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Isn't (the early examples above), the way things used to work?

Two or more crews - of like minds 'said' OK - it can be done, let's work together - to make it happen.

Shirley, that's what boating's about - tiral and (happy) error??

No. They are examples of the way it works today.

2 hours ago, dmr said:

A while ago we had us (70 foot) and two short narrowboats all sharing a K&A lock. A few weeks ago I watched a plastic cruiser and a short narrowboat share a wide Rochdale lock and they did it one behind the other rather than side by side.

..............Dave

I've done that with Juno - a rather snooty woman at Bradford told me "there are two boats in already" - I had actually been there first but let the steel boats go in ahead before slotting in at the back

The owner of this boat, attacked "Maureen" lock keeper at Marmont Priory Lock a few weeks ago, when she asked him to share the loack with one of Foxes Hireboats. A local called the Police and five cars turned up. No action was take as he claimed to be a 'traveller' and the police have a hands off policy when it comes to travellers. I heard this from the hirer, who had been followed by the traveller all the way from Marmont Priory lock back to Foxes.  Council and Middle Level staff have been told to stay away from him for their own safety. So he's allow to do what he wants.  

SOB of the week.JPG

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Done it with three. Being 70 ft long we were last in and first out. A nice way of queue jumping!

There is not a lot of point either at Aynho or Shipton Weir as the next lock follows soon and sharing is not possible. In my experience, two 60ft's do not pass - tried it! But it often mystifies new comers who are sure that it can be done. But, as I say, it is not worth the risk of having to back out and start again.