reluctant starter

jenevers

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, jenevers said:

The oil's fine. If there was lack of compression due to hot, thin oil, on start up, would the engine stop running?

Not in the initial stages because the faster the engine runs the more compression leaks it can cope with. Less time for the air to leak out of the cylinder. There is a large speed difference between cranking and idle.

Personally I am less convinced by the oil thing but would check the valve clearances as soon as you stopped it in case one is closing up when hot. A wet and dry compression test should give an indication of bore wear.

On 15/09/2020 at 08:28, Tony Brooks said:

Not in the initial stages because the faster the engine runs the more compression leaks it can cope with. Less time for the air to leak out of the cylinder. There is a large speed difference between cranking and idle.

Personally I am less convinced by the oil thing but would check the valve clearances as soon as you stopped it in case one is closing up when hot. A wet and dry compression test should give an indication of bore wear.

Maybe it’s because I always knock the decompression lever over when I switch off and start up under decompression. Suppose I should start under full compression?

16 minutes ago, jenevers said:

Maybe it’s because I always knock the decompression lever over when I switch off and start up under decompression. Suppose I should start under full compression?

Assuming this is not a hand start, why would you start a warm engine with decompression?

54 minutes ago, jenevers said:

No harm in letting the starter spin up with the decompressors set because the engine will probably spin faster but then knock them off when p to speed. Probably  less strain on the starer & battery and probably an easier start.

If we have not run the engine for more than a week or so I turn it over with the decompressor applied. Otherwise, I always start with full compression. This is what Gardner specified in the manual. The  decompressor is for hand starting.

I suggest the OP should try this and at the same time check that the starter and battery is capable of attaining cranking speed immediately. The Gardner book says that the engine should start on the first  or second compression stroke. This is how ours behaves, the engine starts immediately after pressing the start button.

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

No harm in letting the starter spin up with the decompressors set because the engine will probably spin faster but then knock them off when p to speed. Probably  less strain on the starer & battery and probably an easier start.

That’s why I do that, but I’ll try with full compression next time.