Jump to content

reluctant starter


jenevers
 Share

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, jenevers said:

The oil's fine. If there was lack of compression due to hot, thin oil, on start up, would the engine stop running?

Not in the initial stages because the faster the engine runs the more compression leaks it can cope with. Less time for the air to leak out of the cylinder. There is a large speed difference between cranking and idle.

 

Personally I am less convinced by the oil thing but would check the valve clearances as soon as you stopped it in case one is closing up when hot. A wet and dry compression test should give an indication of bore wear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/09/2020 at 08:28, Tony Brooks said:

Not in the initial stages because the faster the engine runs the more compression leaks it can cope with. Less time for the air to leak out of the cylinder. There is a large speed difference between cranking and idle.

 

Personally I am less convinced by the oil thing but would check the valve clearances as soon as you stopped it in case one is closing up when hot. A wet and dry compression test should give an indication of bore wear.

Maybe it’s because I always knock the decompression lever over when I switch off and start up under decompression. Suppose I should start under full compression?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, jenevers said:

Maybe it’s because I always knock the decompression lever over when I switch off and start up under decompression. Suppose I should start under full compression?

Assuming this is not a hand start, why would you start a warm engine with decompression?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, jenevers said:

Maybe it’s because I always knock the decompression lever over when I switch off and start up under decompression. Suppose I should start under full compression?

No harm in letting the starter spin up with the decompressors set because the engine will probably spin faster but then knock them off when p to speed. Probably  less strain on the starer & battery and probably an easier start.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we have not run the engine for more than a week or so I turn it over with the decompressor applied. Otherwise, I always start with full compression. This is what Gardner specified in the manual. The  decompressor is for hand starting.

 

I suggest the OP should try this and at the same time check that the starter and battery is capable of attaining cranking speed immediately. The Gardner book says that the engine should start on the first  or second compression stroke. This is how ours behaves, the engine starts immediately after pressing the start button.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

No harm in letting the starter spin up with the decompressors set because the engine will probably spin faster but then knock them off when p to speed. Probably  less strain on the starer & battery and probably an easier start.

That’s why I do that, but I’ll try with full compression next time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.