Patio Gas Connector

mark99

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, mark99 said:

I understand "patio gas" propane as sold by bq etc uses a push fit connector to conn to regulator. Anyone know if there is an adaptor push fit to normal "left hand thread".

I believe that Patio Gas is a mixture of propane and butane but of course I could be wrong. My guess would be that replacing the push fit regulator with a propane regulator would be just as cheap as an adaptor (if one even exists). 

9 minutes ago, mark99 said:

I understand "patio gas" propane as sold by bq etc uses a push fit connector to conn to regulator. Anyone know if there is an adaptor push fit to normal "left hand thread".

Patio gas bottles have the valve connector opening in the top, whereas "red" propane bottles have it in the side. I sometimes have problems with my barbecue connector not sealing 100%. You wouldn't want that happening on your boat, so I suspect the answer to your question regarding an adaptor will be "No".

If such a thing exists, you'll be able to get it from BES.

Edited by monkeyhanger
Added info.
  • Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, mark99 said:

They are completely different and I doubt such an adaptor exists.

Patio gas is a bit of a rip off anyway, savvy folk swap the regulator and just use ordinary left hand thread propane.

15 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I believe that Patio Gas is a mixture of propane and butane but of course I could be wrong. My guess would be that replacing the push fit regulator with a propane regulator would be just as cheap as an adaptor (if one even exists). 

Patio gas (from calor) is just propane, in a different coloured cylinder and a 'simpler' push on connector.

If these guys dont stock such a thing l doubt one exists. I get all my gas/lpg stuff from them.

https://gasproducts.co.uk/

Edited by The Happy Nomad

28 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Just had a look on the site I linked to and you can get an adaptor to attach a pigtail to and use with a bulkhead mounted regulator.

Not sure how you want to use it though. You'd perhaps be best to verify the suitability for your intended application with them. They are normally very helpfull.

There is a shortage of propane gas in small bottles. Any port in a storm. It is propane I checked  before I posted here as did not fancy going down in a hail of bullets immediately!   :). I happened to notice loads small bottles in BQ.

Edited by mark99

5 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Thank you lads. If it gets grim, a jury rigged bottle will be used. All boaty/camping sources tried to date are saying the same ...... gas shortage.

Staycation.

People are either BBQing at home or outside their or tent or caravan.

Just my theory.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Fuel boat - no 13kg propane.  Chandlery - none either.  I'm heading for cold food, no cooker,  but not very cold as no fridge, and no showers, down to my last 0.3 of a cylinder.

Whereabouts are you? We have plenty at Crick.

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Were you thinking of Campingaz, formerly Camping Gaz, which is a mixed gas?

Many cylinders used for camping (camping gas, but not Camping Gaz) are various mixes of Propane and Butane (70/30, 60/40 being the two most common) to be able to use it at lower temperatures, but, gain the better heat producing properties of Butane.

The mixing of Propane and Butane was experimented with for the 1976, or was it 1966  Chris Bonningtons expedition to climb Everest. Butane on its own wouldn't work at all at altitude and the cold conditions, pure propane was out for some reason, so they mixed it. The stoves worked sort of ok up to a lowish height but then they had to resort back to the jolly old paraffin Primus stoves.  I know this because when it's cold my gas fag lighters won't work properly unless I clutch them in my hand for a few seconds, when it's extra cold I sometimes have to resort back to matches if I can find them.   Isn't that interesting.

Edited by bizzard
  • Happy 1