Where next?

tehmarks

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

It nearly happened to us on the HNC, coming out of a lock with leaky bottom gates into a low pound. We knew about the risk and immediately went astern and pulled back into the lock and then ran some water down, but somebody else at the same lock earlier that year didn't and sank in the lock as the leaky bottom gates emptied it faster than water could flow round the boat plugging the gap... ?

I have read about that sinking but had not appreciated that even if you could get water down quick enough that it might not get past the boat. The more locks that we do the more things I find to worry about ?.

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

It nearly happened to us on the HNC, coming out of a lock with leaky bottom gates into a low pound. We knew about the risk and immediately went astern and pulled back into the lock and then ran some water down, but somebody else at the same lock earlier that year didn't and sank in the lock as the leaky bottom gates emptied it faster than water could flow round the boat plugging the gap... ?

Just made it through lock 1e on hnc. Level was a good 16 inches lower than the by wash. When leaving the lock the water mark on the top gates from the cill was about 3 foot. I'm 2foot ten draft. Crt guy was on the site and we had to get into the lock before the pound dropped. 

58 minutes ago, IanD said:

Yes it almost happened to us too, around the same time. We had already called CRT out because we couldn't get the lock to fill. The CRT person fiddled with the bottom paddles, insisting that it was our fault we hadn't shut them properly, then with water running through the lock above and the top paddles open he insisted that there was plenty of depth and we should assist him by using the boat to help push the top gates open. Just in time I realised that the level was dropping and the bows were on the cill; luckily (and despite his protests) I managed to get the boat back into the lock in time. The lock then emptied completely and we reversed back down through a couple of locks. Then CRT drained the pound below the lock and discovered that one bottom paddle was missing completely.

Edited by Keeping Up
Duplicate text removed

11 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

Yes it almost happened to us too, around the same time. We had already called CRT out because we couldn't get the lock to fill. The CRT person fiddled with the bottom paddles, insisting that it was our fault we hadn't shut them properly, then with water running through the lock above and the top paddles open he insisted that there was plenty of depth and we should assist him by using the boat to help push the top gates open. Just in time I realised that the level was dropping and the bows were on the cill; luckily (and despite his protests) I managed to get the boat back into the lock in time. The lock then emptied completely and we reversed back down through a couple of locks. Then CRT drained the pound below the lock and discovered that one bottom paddle was missing completely.

Looking back through my photos it was 2013 when this happened to us, can't remember for sure which lock it was but looking at photos it could have been going up 27W -- we got stuck on the top cill coming out of the lock but managed to reverse off it before things went completely pear-shaped. The next time we did the HNC in 2017 the W locks seemed less leaky, but this time we were going down them so wouldn't have seem the same problem.

Edited by IanD

29 minutes ago, IanD said:

Looking back through my photos it was 2013 when this happened to us, can't remember for sure which lock it was but looking at photos it could have been going up 27W -- we got stuck on the top cill coming out of the lock but managed to reverse off it before things went completely pear-shaped. The next time we did the HNC in 2017 the W locks seemed less leaky, but this time we were going down them so wouldn't have seem the same problem.

Ah, different then, it was 2009 for us; but it looks like it was probably the same lock -definitely either 26W or 27W. Also I see I made a mistake, it wasn't CRT then of course, it was BW.

Yes - as clarified I'm not at all worried about cilling myself traditionall in a lock, more the possibility of what is being described. I decided it sounded more sensible to keep it as a canal to do with crew rather than one to relax on myself (though I do appreciate the advice on how to minimise the risk on my own). And of course, there wouldn't be much relaxing by oneself regardless of sinking potential! So many locks, so few miles...

Leeds & Liverpool wins, and then I'll decide at some point in the future whether to come back across the Pennines by either of the Rochdale or Huddersfield Narrow, or whether to continue on the eastern side.

7 minutes ago, tehmarks said:

Leeds & Liverpool wins, and then I'll decide at some point in the future whether to come back across the Pennines by either of the Rochdale or Huddersfield Narrow, or whether to continue on the eastern side.

Decision made then.

I'd recommend doing the run into Liverpool if you haven't done it - it's fantastic - but again it gets closed over winter.  Last available exit day is 16th October, but there's good availability for the next month.

16 hours ago, dmr said:

I have read about that sinking but had not appreciated that even if you could get water down quick enough that it might not get past the boat. The more locks that we do the more things I find to worry about ?.

If the top paddles were left open until the boat was safely out of the lock would that allow enough water to get in to the lock as it wouldn't have to go around the boat..?

2 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

If the top paddles were left open until the boat was safely out of the lock would that allow enough water to get in to the lock as it wouldn't have to go around the boat..?

1. Which would likely happen anyway if you were trying to get out of a lock quickly. Open paddles would certainly help but on a tiny canal like the HNC and with low water levels the boat would also obstruct the inlet to the paddle chambers?
  2. not sure what all this number 1 and 2 stuff is about, nuffin to do with me, the computer did it itself
  3. honest guv ?

On 15/09/2020 at 22:36, tehmarks said:

Various previous threads on here, such as this one. Admittedly that isn't even close to current, but it made me a bit reticent to verify the accuracy for myself!

That said, if it's actually not a well-known problem, I may have to reconsider.

Did you see the one on the Saffs and Worcester canal https://www.expressandstar.com/news/transport/2020/08/22/three-elderly-people-rescued-from-sinking-narrowboat-in-canal-lock/#:~:text=Crews from Wolverhampton and Wombourne,the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal.

7 hours ago, tehmarks said:

Yes - as clarified I'm not at all worried about cilling myself traditionall in a lock, more the possibility of what is being described. I decided it sounded more sensible to keep it as a canal to do with crew rather than one to relax on myself (though I do appreciate the advice on how to minimise the risk on my own). And of course, there wouldn't be much relaxing by oneself regardless of sinking potential! So many locks, so few miles...

Currently you can not get from the eastern L&L (Leeds) onto the Huddersfield or Rochdale as the Calder & Hebble is closed at Figure of Three locks until well into 2021, only date for completing the repairs is "spring 2021", which could be anything in a 3 month window.

Link to Pennine Waterways site

1 hour ago, PeterF said:

Currently you can not get from the eastern L&L (Leeds) onto the Huddersfield or Rochdale as the Calder & Hebble is closed at Figure of Three locks until well into 2021, only date for completing the repairs is "spring 2021", which could be anything in a 3 month window.

Link to Pennine Waterways site

Across the L&L to Wigan, down into Liverpool for a week or two (two is better) back to Wigan, down to Manchester, up the Rochdale (worth spending several months once past Rochdale), Calder and Hebble, then the HNC, Peak Forest and Macclesfield.

...................Dave

23 hours ago, dmr said:

Across the L&L to Wigan, down into Liverpool for a week or two (two is better) back to Wigan, down to Manchester, up the Rochdale (worth spending several months once past Rochdale), Calder and Hebble, then the HNC, Peak Forest and Macclesfield.

...................Dave

That involves two passages of the Bridgewater Canal between Leigh and Castlefield. So unless there is a clear 28 (I think) days between these, you will end up having to pay the Bridgewater lot for the privelege of the second passage.

There was supposed to be a new CRT/Bridgewater reciprocal arrangement coming into place at the beginning of September, but I haven't heard anything more about it.

52 minutes ago, David Mack said:

There was supposed to be a new CRT/Bridgewater reciprocal arrangement coming into place at the beginning of September, but I haven't heard anything more about it.

Did you miss the 2021 bit? It's just under a year away ...

Edit: Ignore this, I was talking bow locks ... See below for actual information from CRT linked by @David Mack

Edited by TheBiscuits
Talking bow locks ...

28 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Did you miss the 2021 bit? It's just under a year away ...

From https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/boating-blogs-and-features/the-boaters-update/boaters-update-31-july-2020#bridgewater

"An agreement has been reached between Bridgewater Canal Company and the Canal & River Trust, effective from 1 September 2020, that gives licence holders for each organisation permission to cruise between Trust waterways and the Bridgewater Canal."

But then there is a note:

"3 Sep 2020 - Please note that there is a delay in implementing this change. Once active, it'll be announced in a future Boaters' Update."

And nothing since. So hte new agreement is presumably still in limbo.

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

From https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/boating-blogs-and-features/the-boaters-update/boaters-update-31-july-2020#bridgewater

"An agreement has been reached between Bridgewater Canal Company and the Canal & River Trust, effective from 1 September 2020, that gives licence holders for each organisation permission to cruise between Trust waterways and the Bridgewater Canal."

But then there is a note:

"3 Sep 2020 - Please note that there is a delay in implementing this change. Once active, it'll be announced in a future Boaters' Update."

And nothing since. So hte new agreement is presumably still in limbo.

Oops!

My apologies, I was convinced it was next year.  I really should learn to double check my facts before posting.

My only defence is that I've been posting here for years, and must have been contaminated with the alternative truth ...

23 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Oops!

My apologies, I was convinced it was next year.  I really should learn to double check my facts before posting.

My only defence is that I've been posting here for years, and must have been contaminated with the alternative truth ...

No worries! I had to check back on the CRT website, in case you were right and I had misremembered.

That said, with the deferral, it might not happen until September 2021 anyway!