Carter's Arm

wittonend

Featured Posts

Waterway Routes does not list it - Paul is perhaps the most reliable source of current status but not infallible. Not on CaRT Interactive map either. My own library photo of the arm is not positioned to tell how far you can push you bow into the arm but it does not appear to be blocked at the immediate start. Google confirms that at the date of the image then the arm is in water but the start section does not look all that savoury! (ie rather overgrown) However, the canal is about 50ft wide at that point and reasonably clear on the edge opposite the arm, so you do not need much distance into the arm.

Worst case is that you have to go to Salford Junction if going north but if going south then you have ascend and descend the 11 locks to Aston Junction.

Thanks for the advice. With a bit of maneuvering we managed to wind at Carter's Arm, although with my admittedly modest tiller skills I think this would be increasingly difficult with a boat longer than 50ft, the problem being a scaffolding pole stretching diagonally across the entrance.

Carter's Arrm.jpg

1 hour ago, wittonend said:

Thanks for the advice. With a bit of maneuvering we managed to wind at Carter's Arm, although with my admittedly modest tiller skills I think this would be increasingly difficult with a boat longer than 50ft, the problem being a scaffolding pole stretching diagonally across the entrance.

Carter's Arrm.jpg

Did you investigate the other am, Dowler's Arm, just along from Carter's Arm...?