Help needed to identify the material

MajorJones

Featured Posts

Hi guys!

I'm trying to identify a material that I see now more and more often on the new builds - it looks like tongue and groove cladding boards, but actually it's just a visual effect and it's a panel, I'm not even sure it's a wood as from the cut it looks like some sort of compressed foam with the layer on top. I've attached a couple of photos. Any ideas?

panels.jpg

Note that is described as moisture resistant, not moisture proof.  Do not let if get very wet for any length of time or if will turn back into Weetabix.

All MDF is filthy stuff to work- you will want the proper PPE.

N

1 minute ago, BEngo said:

Note that is described as moisture resistant, not moisture proof.  Do not let if get very wet for any length of time or if will turn back into Weetabix.

N

I've worked with moisture resistant MDF before - won't work without PPE, the dust is toxic as hell.? 

2 hours ago, Paul Gwilliams said:

There are pvc versions available specifically designed for bathrooms and shower cubicles. All sorts of effects wood, marble and glitter

We are going to use it to redo shower and boat ceiling

https://www.claddingwarehouse.co.uk/pvc-k-panel-cladding-sheet-white

There are plenty of designs ( i.e. https://www.dbsbathrooms.co.uk/bathroom-panels/wall-panels ) - but I'm after specifically one that looks like painted tongue and groove - I really like how it looks under the gunwale (and above gunwale I plan to use marine leatherette in the same colour tone). 

15 minutes ago, MajorJones said:

I'm after specifically one that looks like painted tongue and groove

Have you considered painting some matchboarding?  You can still make it into panels by attaching it to some 6mm ply sheets. 

12 hours ago, WotEver said:

Have you considered painting some matchboarding?  You can still make it into panels by attaching it to some 6mm ply sheets. 

Don't really see a point to have a real wood for under the gunwales as I want to have it in solid white to be honest.  I want to have some wooden accents in the design, but mostly I prefer white and airy spaces.

On 15/09/2020 at 16:27, BEngo said:

N

Love the Weetabix but so very true, no matter how careful you are the lower section will sooner or later get damp at the bottom, and the upper section somewhere will have a window leak.  Plastic coated foam won't go to weetabix but Greenville tower was clad in that looked good but... Not to mention toxic fumes wood smoke is nasty but not in itself poisonous.

7 minutes ago, MajorJones said:

I see so many new build using what looks like MDF - have we wrongly identified the material used or do builders just don't care what will happen with the interior eventually? 

It could be either.  A quality fitout would be real wood, painted white if required or varnished according to taste. A cheaper fitout would be MDF.