Air intake for Multi-fuel stove

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

Can only see one advantage of having an external air feed for a stove,and that is to make it "room sealed".

If you have a gas leak or if petrol powered a fuel leak,then it is obviously safer,but only untill you open the stove door to re-stoke it.

There is another advantage for HOUSE use unless they have changed the regs. Above a very small output stove you require permanent ventilation and that  may mean a dam great fixed open vet in the window so you get a lot of colt draughts. When I had our stove foitted we were not even allow to vent from under the suspended floor close to the stove,

4 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

......but are you observing all the effects? By drawing air from outside the cabin you are reducing the air return at floor level so reducing air flow round the cabin...as I explained in an earlier post. It's not condensation on your pipe I would be worried about. It's condensation in the cabin that will be worse.......but you won't be able to compare this.

Certainly this will be an issue - I don't know enough to make comparisons. But having heard about other types of heating used on boats - i.e. solid fuel stoves v radiators or hot air heaters - does anyone have any firm opinions as to the condensation levels in these different scenarios? 

Edited by alistair1537
missed a word

2 minutes ago, alistair1537 said:

Certainly this will be an issue - I don't know to make comparisons. But having heard about other types of heating used on boats - i.e. solid fuel stoves v radiators or hot air heaters - does anyone have any firm opinions as to the condensation levels in these different scenarios? 

If I heat my boat using the eber and rads I seem to get more condensation than when I heat using the stove. It also feels "damper"

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

If I heat my boat using the eber and rads I seem to get more condensation than when I heat using the stove. It also feels "damper"

Well, I have two humidity meters installed - both normally hover around 70% - I'll be keeping an eye on those for any changes. It is very simple to disconnect the air duct at the rear of the stove so I could even run comparative tests over half a day each way - external draught or internal? I'll have to fettle a stopper for the duct though, or I'll be adding an extra vent when the stove is uncoupled.

19 hours ago, Loddon said:

The real test is when you have some clothes drying in the cabin and then cook the dinner. Boiling water puts a lot of water in the air, which needs the stove to drag it out. No way would I want my stove air intake not taking this out. Alistair needs to try his stove options out with a cabin full of wet clothes and the hob bubbling away.

19 hours ago, alistair1537 said:

Well, I have two humidity meters installed - both normally hover around 70% - I'll be keeping an eye on those for any changes. It is very simple to disconnect the air duct at the rear of the stove so I could even run comparative tests over half a day each way - external draught or internal? I'll have to fettle a stopper for the duct though, or I'll be adding an extra vent when the stove is uncoupled.

I wouldnt have a clue what humidity should be lol, however having read this post Ive just looked at mine and it says 47 per cent, is that good bad or indiferent?? I will start looking at various times now just for the hell of it ?

IMG_20201124_092106.jpg

Edited by mrsmelly

35 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I wouldnt have a clue what humidity should be lol, however having read this post Ive just looked at mine and it says 47 per cent, is that good bad or indiferent?? I will start looking at various times now just for the hell of it 

We've got a few humidity meters on our bote. Sheet of glass with an aluminium strip around them. A few on each side at the front. Draw the curtains when you don't want to see them.

• Happy 1

• 2 months later...

I have realised that I owe you all an update. Here it is. It works fine. Still alive... Been toasty warm all winter. Not had any issues at all.

I do get a bit of smoke if I yank the door open too vigorously, when filling with more fuel, but that's the norm with or without an outside duct.

Do you need pics? 

2 minutes ago, alistair1537 said:

I have realised that I owe you all an update. Here it is. It works fine. Still alive... Been toasty warm all winter. Not had any issues at all.

I do get a bit of smoke if I yank the door open too vigorously, when filling with more fuel, but that's the norm with or without an outside duct.

Do you need pics? 

Pictures would be good.

I'm still curious what advantage this system gives you, my set up is bog standard and I to only get smoke blow back when I open the door too vigorously 

5 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Pictures would be good.

I'm still curious what advantage this system gives you, my set up is bog standard and I to only get smoke blow back when I open the door too vigorously 

That, probably is an unmeasurable thing unless it was done under controlled conditions. If the fire burns well with both then when you run trials there may be more or less breeze, a different direction, temperature or even pressure. The way I see it the only thing that would show up would be if the ducting didn't work.

15 minutes ago, alistair1537 said:

Do you need pics? 

Thanks for the update. As  per the other thread, I was more worried about control of ventilation and dampness. Our stove does a huge job of sucking air down teh boat at floor level to burn and thus keeps the humidity very low. As it is your first boat, you wont know the 'normal' level of humidity (no one measures it apart from Smelly) but the stove keeps the condensation down, the key measure of ventilation. You wont be getting that.

I think the pics are fairly self explanatory - The stove runs fine - after lighting on an fully open draught control - No. 6, we run the entire day/night on No. 1 - nothing more to see. If the fire dies andd we need to add more logs/coal we just open up the control and then back it down when things have caught on.

4 minutes ago, alistair1537 said:

Ok, I'll upload some pics I just took.

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-21 at 19.50.59.jpeg

Ideal levels for home humidity are between 35 and 50 percent. Condensation on windows is one of the most obvious signs of high humidity. ... Humidity levels above 50 percent create a number of problems that affect air quality. First, mold and mildew are more likely to proliferate when moisture levels are above 65 percent.

It looks as if 60% humidity is going to affect air quality an start to produce mold.give you some serious mold

4 minutes ago, alistair1537 said:

47 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ideal levels for home humidity are between 35 and 50 percent. Condensation on windows is one of the most obvious signs of high humidity. ... Humidity levels above 50 percent create a number of problems that affect air quality. First, mold and mildew are more likely to proliferate when moisture levels are above 65 percent.

It looks as if 60% humidity is going to affect air quality an start to produce mold.give you some serious mold

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+the+average+humidity+in+ireland&rlz=1C1SQJL_enIE908IE908&oq=Ireland+humidity+levels&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i390l3.12764j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

34 minutes ago, alistair1537 said:

From the same link :

What is healthy humidity? It is recommended to keep indoor relative humidity between 30 and 50 per cent, 

Conversely, when the level is above 60 percent, the air is too wet, which is also harmful to both the home and the homeowners.

Surely you are not trying to replicate the outside humidity inside your barge : what happens when it rains ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield