Air intake for Multi-fuel stove

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, Rickent said:

we dry all our wet clothes around the stove in winter, the stove draws the damp out.

Drawing air from outside is crazy.

Never had a problem with condensation. 

Is a room sealed stove really any crazier than a room sealed instant gas water heater for example? I really don't know.

But if the stove draws the air from outside I really don't think it will prevent the drying of clothes. It's the heated air that draws the damp out of the clothes and I don't think that's dependent on the air source.

Edited by blackrose

Oil based paint is air drying, warmth will only help a little bit. We had a chap here that varnished the entire inside of his boat, lit the stove, blocked up all the vents to keep the heat in which he thought was the paint dryer. He went away, came back 3 days later expecting it to be all lovely and dry. It was just as wet as when he first varnished it. He opened the vents and door, left the fire out and went away again for a couple of days. It was all lovely and dry when he returned.

Talking of that we can all learn something from posts like the O/P's is good.  I tried to do this once and got much worse rebuke. It was my invention of the ''Electric dark bulb''. A bulb that fitted into ordinary light sockets and when switched on made the room during daylight hours go all dark, ideal for insomniacs and night shifty workers I thought that couldn't sleep in a room with any light in it during the day.  I spent many nights outside collecting and trapping black darkness in jam jars to experiment and make the bulb.

The bulb didn't work.   :(.

• Haha 1

No risk of lack of air on my boat, the fit of the joinery sees to that. As for humidity, solid fuel is pretty good at producing dry air but boats are even better at producing cold wet air and the length of most canal boats makes it hard to get the warm dry air to the ends of the boat, Air movement is always helpful.

3 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Oil based paint is air drying, warmth will only help a little bit. We had a chap here that varnished the entire inside of his boat, lit the stove, blocked up all the vents to keep the heat in which he thought was the paint dryer. He went away, came back 3 days later expecting it to be all lovely and dry. It was just as wet as when he first varnished it. He opened the vents and door, left the fire out and went away again for a couple of days. It was all lovely and dry when he returned.

Talking of that we can all learn something from posts like the O/P's is good.  I tried to do this once and got much worse rebuke. It was my invention of the ''Electric dark bulb''. A bulb that fitted into ordinary light sockets and when switched on made the room during daylight hours go all dark, ideal for insomniacs and night shifty workers I thought that couldn't sleep in a room with any light in it during the day.  I spent many nights outside collecting and trapping black darkness in jam jars to experiment and make the bulb.

The bulb didn't work.   :(.

Basic error, the electric that you used was full of volts. If you use a battery without any volts in it you are nearly there. The tricky bit is finding a battery with two negative posts, that will make minus volts and produce dark.

32 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Is a room sealed stove really any crazier than a room sealed instant gas water heater for example? I really don't know.

But if the stove draws the air from outside I really don't think it will prevent the drying of clothes. It's the heated air that draws the damp out of the clothes and I don't think that's dependent on the air source.

I really don't know, clothes will still dry in front of a stove with air drawn from the outside.

My point is, the damp air is drawn through the stove and goes out the flue.

3 minutes ago, Bee said:

Basic error, the electric that you used was full of volts. If you use a battery without any volts in it you are nearly there. The tricky bit is finding a battery with two negative posts, that will make minus volts and produce dark.

I think it's failure was due to the colour of the wires to the switch and ceiling light socket, they weren't all black ones.  Anyway I'm not bothering about it anymore, I have better things to experiment with.

10 minutes ago, Bee said:

No risk of lack of air on my boat, the fit of the joinery sees to that. As for humidity, solid fuel is pretty good at producing dry air but boats are even better at producing cold wet air and the length of most canal boats makes it hard to get the warm dry air to the ends of the boat, Air movement is always helpful.

That is why I think its important to try to use every trick you can to move air about the boat - including the much derided stove top fans.

4 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I think it's failure was due to the colour of the wires to the switch and ceiling light socket, they weren't all black ones.  Anyway I'm not bothering about it anymore, I have better things to experiment with.

That sounds ominous. I hope these better things are not cute and furry

8 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

SMELLY!!!!!!

Tony says they work!!!!!

Therefore they must work!!!!!!

Result!!!!!!

but, but I saw the results of your tests and would rather believe the scientific method than personal opinion. Any way I can feel a low speed fairly high volume aid flow from mine.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

Room sealed boilers and water heaters are room sealed so that they cannot leak the products of combustion back into the room.

1 hour ago, alistair1537 said:

Exactly. What can you glean from that?

They are fan assisted. The fuel delivery system is a regulated flow. A boat still has to pass its ventilation requirements, in all other respects, as laid down for the BSS

16 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

SMELLY!!!!!!

Tony says they work!!!!!

Therefore they must work!!!!!!

Result!!!!!!

?

16 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

but, but I saw the results of your tests and would rather believe the scientific method than personal opinion. Any way I can feel a low speed fairly high volume aid flow from mine.

He's a scammer Tony ?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, alistair1537 said:

...the point of the ducted vent is to minimise heat loss through the chimney. 

Skimming through this thread, I don't think anyone has picked up on this point.  The issue in a properly insulated boat is rarely minimising heat loss. More likely, once you have warmed the boat up from cold, you'll be opening windows to dump excess heat. 

The idea you're implementing can be a good one in a house, but it's simply not an issue in the confined space in a narrowboat.  Like many a ideas that buck the trend in narrowboat design or fit out, this is not necessarily a bad idea per se, it's just not good in this application.

19 hours ago, bizzard said:

I don't think you need all black ones, but you must reverse the red and black wires to allow the dark to escape into the room.  Plus you need extra-transparent shades (except they are not shades of course, they are "lights').

On 15/09/2020 at 08:46, Sea Dog said:

Skimming through this thread, I don't think anyone has picked up on this point.  The issue in a properly insulated boat is rarely minimising heat loss. More likely, once you have warmed the boat up from cold, you'll be opening windows to dump excess heat. 

The idea you're implementing can be a good one in a house, but it's simply not an issue in the confined space in a narrowboat.  Like many a ideas that buck the trend in narrowboat design or fit out, this is not necessarily a bad idea per se, it's just not good in this application.

Indeed, last Friday I put my 4kW (max) Old Dutch oil drip stove on because it was a chilly 16°C evening, and within a couple of hours of being on its lowest setting I had to turn it off because the saloon was up tp 30°C.

A heat source with a sealed balanced flue which draws air for combustion from outside is so called because under all conditions of wind the air pressure outside is the same on the product discharge flue and the air inlet. So it is safe, no flue gasses can enter the inside.

What you are talking about creating is not a balanced flue but a product flue and a remote air inlet which is not safe. It would not be allowed under building regulations if they applied to boats. The external air pressures can cause products of combustion to enter your living space. Carbo Monoxide is the silent odourless killer.

The best wheels are round, don't try to invent another shape.

Edited by Tracy D'arth