Newbie Questions Questions.

Skitz

Featured Posts

Completely new to the Narrow Boat but have watched Vlogs internet ecta for awhile. I am probably looking awhile down the line tbh. I like to do my research. My question is , I will be looking for a 2 berth permanent fixture bed as a continual to moor for the Winter months. I would be on my own for the majority. Any suggestions , advice for size ,type greatly appreciated . My budget is undetermined ,but any thoughts appreciated. Thank-You.

Please repeat in English, ideally after drinking less beer ?

I sometimes think that those who know about boats are out boating, and those who have limited experience write blogs about boating ?

so don't assume that internet blogs (and some websites) are a good source of knowledge.

...............Dave

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, dmr said:

Please repeat in English, ideally after drinking less beer ?

I sometimes think that those who know about boats are out boating, and those who have limited experience write blogs about boating ?

so don't assume that internet blogs (and some websites) are a good source of knowledge.

...............Dave

Another great welcome to CWDF..............

45 minutes ago, Skitz said:

Completely new to the Narrow Boat but have watched Vlogs internet ecta for awhile. I am probably looking awhile down the line tbh. I like to do my research. My question is , I will be looking for a 2 berth permanent fixture bed as a continual to moor for the Winter months. I would be on my own for the majority. Any suggestions , advice for size ,type greatly appreciated . My budget is undetermined ,but any thoughts appreciated. Thank-You.

There is lots of experience on here and people will be able to help but they will need more info.

Some idea about budget would be a start as that can be an indicator as to whether your dream is viable.

Be careful about what you take on from you tube, Dave is correct on that point.

'Cruising the cut' has a fair ammount to say and is realistic and grounded.

Good luck.

3 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Another great welcome to CWDF..............

The OP said " I will be looking for a 2 berth permanent fixture bed as a continual to moor for the Winter months."

It would be helpful if he gave a bit more info. I am struggling to understand 

Just now, PhilR said:

The OP said " I will be looking for a 2 berth permanent fixture bed as a continual to moor for the Winter months."

Yes, he needs to be a lot clearer.

He doesnt need on his first ever post to have his use of language mocked or somebody to suggest they are pissed.

37 minutes ago, PhilR said:

He means he wants a fixed bed rather than a cross bed (for example) that lifts up out of the way because he intends to live on his boat.  Additionally he doesn’t intend to be cruising in the winter and will have a winter mooring.

• Greenie 1

Hey, it was a very generic question apprecited.

But surely for such a simple question budget is N/A, Simply looking for seasoned veterans advice as in boat size ecta.

I dont particualry have budget issues, but would not wish to dive in at the deep so to speak.

And yes Cruising the Cut is the best.In my limited opinion.

Thanks for kind words people ,certainly not on the toot on a Sunday evening,when its work in the morning.

New to Narrow Boats,not stupid.

• Greenie 1

Hi there and welcome. Can you tell us a bit more about yourself? Will you need to be in a particular part of the country for work, family etc? How practical are you in terms of maintenance & repairs? It would definitely be easier to give advice if we had a rough idea of your budget as this will have a massive bearing on the type of boat you could realistically hope to buy. As a very rough ballpark figure people often work on circa £5K a year to run a boat. Purchase price is obviously variable but I haven't seen (m)any decent boats sub £30K. Spend some time browsing this forum - there is an incredible amount to learn about all aspects of buying and running a boat. 

2 minutes ago, Skitz said:

But surely for such a simple question budget is N/A, Simply looking for seasoned veterans advice as in boat size ecta.

I dont particualry have budget issues, but would not wish to dive in at the deep so to speak.

Thanks for kind words people ,certainly not on the toot on a Sunday evening,when its work in the morning.

Then if you wish to cruise the whole system (bar a very tiny bit I cant recall the name of) you need a 57ft Narrowboat. No longer (bar perhaps another foot), and definitely not a wide beam.

If you are happy to restrict your cruising area a longer boat would be fine as would a widebeam.

8 minutes ago, Skitz said:

The best thing to do is get yourself on as many boats as possible to get a feel for layouts, size etc. We all have such different requirements that it is pretty much impossible to offer useful suggestions. I think you will quickly get a idea of what feels right and how you imagine living on a boat.

9 minutes ago, MrsM said:

The best thing to do is get yourself on as many boats as possible to get a feel for layouts, size etc. We all have such different requirements that it is pretty much impossible to offer useful suggestions. I think you will quickly get a idea of what feels right and how you imagine living on a boat.

Best place to do that used to be Whilton Marina where they used to just let you have the keys to boats and wander at will. Not sure what they are doing during covid though.

I wouldnt necessarily advise buying a boat from or through them, but they normally have a lot of various types to look at.

3 hours ago, Skitz said:

Had a 30ft narrowboat with a crossways bed which had to be made up every night.

It was a pain!

30ft was too small for a liveaboard even for one person.I used to spend weekends and sometimes a week on it and found there was not enough room for storing a week's clothes or grub and beer.With toolbox,spare parts,spare ropes and other bits and bats it was soon full.

I think 40ft is the minimum size of narrowboat for a single person to live on (45ft would be better) and for two people bigger.

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Best place to do that used to be Whilton Marina where they used to just let you have the keys to boats and wander at will. Not sure what they are doing during covid though.

I wouldnt necessarily advise buying a boat from or through them, but they normally have a lot of various types to look at.

In the brave new Covid world most brokers seem to be letting you have the keys and wander at will, provided you call in advance, including Whilton. Though Whilton seems to be running out of boats...

14 hours ago, enigmatic said:

In the brave new Covid world most brokers seem to be letting you have the keys and wander at will, provided you call in advance, including Whilton. Though Whilton seems to be running out of boats...

I thought Wilton had always operated like that, it was the case 23 years ago (is it really that long) when I was looking to buy

41 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I thought Wilton had always operated like that, it was the case 23 years ago (is it really that long) when I was looking to buy

They have, but a lot of the others insisted on accompanying you on the boat(s) you were looking at.

It makes sense that the others have started letting you look inside without following you onboard in a <2m space though.