Classic dog walker.

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

Even in this environmentally aware time so many people tend to bag dog poo then leave it hanging from a tree or fence. Plastic poo bags should be shunned in rural areas. Behind our house is a lane leading up to the moor. Every British animal known to man craps along there so it boils my blood when hikers bag their dog's poo and hang it on the willows or leave it on the stone gate posts. Unless you are one of those brain-dead morons who just leave in for someone to tread in, flick stick it into the bottom of the hedge where it can decompose naturally and swiftly. 

The public spirited thing to do when finding poo bags swinging in the bushes next to the towpath is to transfer them to the centre of the towpath. The public spirited thing to do when finding unbagged poo in the grass next to the towpath is to spray paint it luminous pink. This will promote awareness of the issue amongst the public, dog owners and non dog owners alike and in time, may lead to a change in behaviour. I don't carry paint with me, I'm not certain of the environmental impact of doing this but certainly, any bags I find in public view are moved to where they are more in the public view.

5 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

The public spirited thing to do when finding poo bags swinging in the bushes next to the towpath is to transfer them to the centre of the towpath. The public spirited thing to do when finding unbagged poo in the grass next to the towpath is to spray paint it luminous pink. This will promote awareness of the issue amongst the public, dog owners and non dog owners alike and in time, may lead to a change in behaviour. I don't carry paint with me, I'm not certain of the environmental impact of doing this but certainly, any bags I find in public view are moved to where they are more in the public view.

That's amazing, I can't work out if that's the antisocial or prosocial thing to do.

1 hour ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

...any bags I find in public view are moved to where they are more in the public view.

Might I just offer a view from a different perspective? 

If you move someone else's fly tipping, you're also fly tipping and liable to prosecution.  Maybe this isn't quite the same, but there's a very close relationship here as you are the one who has actually put a bag of dog poo where is now sits very prominently and where you got it doesn't really matter. The next person coming across it doesn't know it's part of your attempt to draw attention to the issue - they just think someone inconsiderate has left it there.  If you're going to move it, wouldn't it be better to do the right thing with it rather than make things worse?  

11 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Might I just offer a view from a different perspective? 

If you move someone else's fly tipping, you're also fly tipping and liable to prosecution.  Maybe this isn't quite the same, but there's a very close relationship here as you are the one who has actually put a bag of dog poo where is now sits very prominently and wheare you got it doesn't really matter. The next person coming across it doesn't know it's part of your attempt to draw attention to the issue - they just think someone inconsiderate has left it there.  If you're going to move it, wouldn't it be better to do the right thing with it rather than make things worse?  

I don't agree. If people are allowed to hang dog poo bags in the trees without this being challenged the practice will continue unabated. While placing them in a more prominent place might technically be a crime the intention is to bring this anti social practice to an end by highlighting to the public that it's very common. I'd be breaking the law for the purpose of the betterment of society, for the greater good. I'd be quite happy to stand in front of a judge and explain this. Anyway, this is all hypothetical. People creating year round Christmas trees along the towpath aren't seen when they carry out their nasty deed, and neither am I when I bring their behaviour to the attention of the public.  

12 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I don't agree. If people are allowed to hang dog poo bags in the trees without this being challenged the practice will continue unabated. While placing them in a more prominent place might technically be a crime the intention is to bring this anti social practice to an end by highlighting to the public that it's very common. I'd be breaking the law for the purpose of the betterment of society, for the greater good. I'd be quite happy to stand in front of a judge and explain this. Anyway, this is all hypothetical. People creating year round Christmas trees along the towpath aren't seen when they carry out their nasty deed, and neither am I when I bring their behaviour to the attention of the public.  

Not sure I follow your logic. If the person hanging a poo bag on a bush doesn't see you  removing it and placing it on the towpath, how are you challenging the practice and how will poo bags on the ground make people stop hanging poo bags on bushes? Your logic seems to be that if a poo bag hanger sees poo bags on the ground they will think "there are a lot of poo bags on the ground therefore it must be common to hang poo bags on bushes therefore I will stop doing it!"  Not sure it would work that way . I am not a fan of hanging poo bags on bushes but at least there, no one will stand on them .

haggis

11 minutes ago, haggis said:

Not sure I follow your logic. If the person hanging a poo bag on a bush doesn't see you  removing it and placing it on the towpath, how are you challenging the practice and how will poo bags on the ground make people stop hanging poo bags on bushes? Your logic seems to be that if a poo bag hanger sees poo bags on the ground they will think "there are a lot of poo bags on the ground therefore it must be common to hang poo bags on bushes therefore I will stop doing it!"  Not sure it would work that way . I am not a fan of hanging poo bags on bushes but at least there, no one will stand on them .

haggis

Yes, it wouldn't highlight the issue of Christmas trees but it would highlight that fact that a percentage of dog owners behave anti socially. Highlighting things brings publicity. Publicity around anti social behaviour is a good method of reducing the instances of it. An alternative method might be to place a sign close to where the dog poo bags litter the towpath "All of these bags were collected from the undergrowth on or around the canal towpath"

On 13/09/2020 at 20:50, buccaneer66 said:

A lot just throw it in the bushes.

Yep, whenever I can, find a stick an transport it into the undergrowth. Without digging a hole, which I'll do if the ground permits, throwing it unbagged is the best way

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, sirweste said:

Yep, whenever I can, find a stick an transport it into the undergrowth. Without digging a hole, which I'll do if the ground permits, throwing it unbagged is the best way

As I said earlier though if you are going to 'flick' it give some thought to the fact the area may be regularly strimmed.

Haveing personally accidentally strimmed dog poo before I can atest to it being a pretty unpleasant experience. At least I didn't get any in my eyes as I was wearing safety goggles.

Wasn't there some pedantic clipboard warriors somewhere that fined a person for picking up rubbish and putting it in a bin.

Apparently once you pick someone's else rubbish up it becomes commercial waste for which you need a EA licence for!

Our local council sprayed all unattended poo with a pink, environmentally safe, spray.

Don't think it did much to dissuade the lazy baskets.

As a dog owner I hate seeing it just left, even worse I hate treading in it!

So as someone wrote earlier it's the minority that gets the majority blamed.

11 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

The mind boggles, doesn't it? 

Still, after all of the above, we ought to bear in mind that this thread is mis-titled. I don't believe we are talking about the "Classic Dog Walker" here. Most folk I see clean up after their dog and take the bag with them.

What we're actually discussing here are inconsiderate twits. They're not "Classic" dog walkers, drivers, cyclists, fishermen, boaters, or whatever walk of life they infest. They're a minority who poison the well wherever they go. We should try bear that in mind whenever we come across them.

Methinks 'We' boaters don't realise that thew vast number of population live in an urban environment and have  no concept of green walkways / towpaths and the like, that coupled with the attitude of 'it's not my job' leads to the attitude of " no bin, not my problem, dump it".

2 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

As I said earlier though if you are going to 'flick' it give some thought to the fact the area may be regularly strimmed.

Haveing personally accidentally strimmed dog poo before I can atest to it being a pretty unpleasant experience. At least I didn't get any in my eyes as I was wearing safety goggles.

This ^

In any area regularly maintained consider the poor buggers strimming, it is particularly disgusting to strim dog poo, frogs and slugs are bad enough 

• Greenie 2

On 15/09/2020 at 09:33, Midnight said:

Even in this environmentally aware time so many people tend to bag dog poo then leave it hanging from a tree or fence. Plastic poo bags should be shunned in rural areas. ......., flick stick it into the bottom of the hedge where it can decompose naturally and swiftly. 

This. Stick and flick wherever you can. If you cant, bag it and bin it.

We always think before bagging it 'where is the next bin' as you don't want to be left carrying crap for the whole damn walk!

Daniel

20 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Yes was aware you said that earlier. As I find is often the case on here replies to comments often assume the poster hasn’t fully thought through their actions fully, such as you telling me I should give some thought to...

but I understand why, you’re smarter and wiser than I am, so you’re educating for the greater good

2 minutes ago, sirweste said:

Yes was aware you said that earlier. As I find is often the case on here replies to comments often assume the poster hasn’t fully thought through their actions fully, such as you telling me I should give some thought to...

but I understand why, you’re smarter and wiser than I am, so you’re educating for the greater good

Oh dear.

I was merely reinforceing the point.

There is really no need to get quite so narky about it. I was recounting based on personal experience of having dog poo splatter over me, not nice.

I recently read a ridiculous notice from (IIRC) someone in our local Council, saying how you mustn't "stick & flick" it because you can't be certain what the dog may have eaten, therefore environmentally harmful substances may have passed through the dog and could therefore exist in the poo ready to leak out and cause harm when the poo rots down.

On 14/09/2020 at 09:55, Naughty Cal said:
On 13/09/2020 at 22:54, Machpoint005 said:

Sydney is a funny sod and will only wee and poo in our garden as an absolute last resort. Not sure why as we would be quite happy for him to do so but he won't!

Our Poppy is the same, she might wee in the garden, but for anything else she will wait till we take her for a walk.   Lucky lots of bins round here to dispose of it in biodegradable bags that we have.  

when on the boat we have a dedicated snap shut box which we put the offending bags in till we find a suitable bin.    

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Oh dear.

I was merely reinforceing the point.

There is really no need to get quite so narky about it. I was recounting based on personal experience of having dog poo splatter over me, not nice.

Fair enough, hard to figure out tone on here ain't it. Apologies for the narkiness

6 hours ago, DHutch said:

This. Stick and flick wherever you can. If you cant, bag it and bin it.

We always think before bagging it 'where is the next bin' as you don't want to be left carrying crap for the whole damn walk!

Daniel

Isn't that a responsibility you take on when you first get the dog?

• Greenie 1

Bring back the dog license. 
And limit the amount available. 
Too many dogs. 
And not enough of them kept on leads. 

An old fashioned way of training a dog not to piss in doors was to rub the dogs’ nose in it’s piss  
May be irresponsible dog owners should have their noses pushed in their dogs shit. 
That’ll learn ‘em. 

• Greenie 2

I love dogs and in general I'm all for as many freedoms as possible but I do sometimes wonder if dogs need to be controlled a little more. If a dog off a lead pees over my mooring ropes the owner will usually be highly apologetic. I'm not really bothered personally, but what strikes me is that the apology is completely meaningless. Because, inevitably, following the apology, the dog will still be free to pee over the next set of mooring ropes. I wish people wouldn't apologise in such circumstances. I'm more bothered by their totally false apology rather than what their dog did.