Classic dog walker.

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

On 18/09/2020 at 17:14, haggis said:

You've still got to pick it up ? . I think by the time we got home to our yard (if we had one) when we were boating the dog would have crapped several times .  Stick and flick is fine if you can flick into an area where no one walks and there will be enough wee beasties to eat the poo before it starts to smell. 

Cats, however, I find (and we used to have cats) prefer to do their crapping in next doors garden and the fact that they bury it means that when you are gardenning you run the risk of getting cat poo on your hands. At least with dog poo you can see it ? 

haggis 

I think my dog crapped after each meal, fairly predictable, let it crap on your property, not someone else"s

49 minutes ago, Jerra said:

They are also virtually impossible to "pick up" after.

Not to worry, they Bury it, they don't smear it all over the leaves of grass in a park, where a toddler comes along and gets a disease causing blindness, 

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Not to worry, they Bury it, they don't smear it all over the leaves of grass in a park, where a toddler comes along and gets a disease causing blindness, 

Having kept cats for 4 decades I can assure you they do not always bury it and it is  just as capable of passing on toxocariasis.

33 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Cats have a special status in law, you are trying to compare apples  with pears. 

Its not the animal that doesn't clear up, its the owner who doesn't clear it up. I know people who's cats use litter trays and crap in the house

23 minutes ago, LadyG said:

In next door kiddies sand pit or the flower boarder that the wife tends

Edited by ditchcrawler

17 hours ago, Jerra said:

Cats, well not really, your neighbours will find it in their flowerbeds. 

Edited by Jim Riley

Of course one big difference between dogs and cats is that the owner of a dog is legally responsible for clearing up its poo, but the owner of a cat has no responsibility for its actions. This was brought home to me when my neighbour took me to court on two counts. Firstly, when I was at home our dog pooped in our back garden and, when I was working long hours and particularly if the weather was bad, it was sometimes 2 or occasionally 3 days before I cleared it from the lawn; our neighbour (successfully) claimed this was a public health issue. Then secondly, while I was away cruising, her cats pooped on our lawn and nobody cleared it up until I returned which could be 2 or 3 weeks; again she successfully claimed that it was a public health issue and was my responsibility.

On 25/09/2020 at 20:42, Jerra said:

I think that is enough, we are responsible animal owners, the problem is that we are becoming a minority,

I was in a pub today, there was a dog so fat it could hardly waddle, owner was feeding it treats! The RSPCA have considered  prosecuting horse keeper ftfor allowing horses to be obese, this is the first obese dog I have seen....... 

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Also in kiddies sand pits and flower borders, they like nice soft dry material like, loam, sand or cat litter so they can do it indoors

Exactly the point.  If the ground is too hard such as grass they often just attempt to cover it by scratching at the grass.   Nice dry soft material isn't all that common along canal sides.

On 27/09/2020 at 02:07, LadyG said:

I think that is enough, we are responsible animal owners, the problem is that we are becoming a minority,

I was in a pub today, there was a dog so fat it could hardly waddle, owner was feeding it treats! The RSPCA have considered  prosecuting horse keeper ftfor allowing horses to be obese, this is the first obese dog I have seen....... 

If today is the first time you have seen a obese dog, then you haven't been out much!

Bod.

On 14/09/2020 at 15:24, Onionman said:

There's a point on the K&A between Bathampton and Bath where there's a chain link fence and a side path joins the towpath. Early last summer I walked past it and there must have been forty or fifty bags of dog crap (in various stages of rot) hanging off the fence. What lovely people.

I've seen the same thing at Rugeley, rows of dog crap bags tied to the chain link fence by the industrial site. Three weeks ago I was at Bugsworth basin moored in the short arm where there is a large grassy area. The opposite side of the grass was a moored boat that hat 4 dogs. I was there for 3 days and every morning  and evening the 4 dogs were put out and allowed to run around unsupervised to crap. I had a word with the owner to pick up his dog crap and put it in the bins provided and was told to f**k off and mind my own business. I collected all of the crap and when it was dark deposited it in his well deck without the plastic bag. I reported it to Pedro the warden and the boat soon departed.

9 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

I've seen the same thing at Rugeley, rows of dog crap bags tied to the chain link fence by the industrial site. Three weeks ago I was at Bugsworth basin moored in the short arm where there is a large grassy area. The opposite side of the grass was a moored boat that hat 4 dogs. I was there for 3 days and every morning  and evening the 4 dogs were put out and allowed to run around unsupervised to crap. I had a word with the owner to pick up his dog crap and put it in the bins provided and was told to f**k off and mind my own business. I collected all of the crap and when it was dark deposited it in his well deck without the plastic bag. I reported it to Pedro the warden and the boat soon departed.

Last time we were at Bugsworth a few years ago we moored near next to a grassy area towards the Navigation end, but had to move because there was so much dogshit on it that even in the daylight it was literally impossible to walk across the grass without treading in it. Most of it looked like it came from the same dog(s), going by the quantity it looked like the owner (no boat moored there) had done exactly what Flyboy said and used it as a doggy toilet for several weeks -- I wonder if it was the same bloke? Utterly disgusting and inexcusable... ?

The thing is that, as far as I can see, dog owners are so used to their own dogs, and happy with their behaviour, that they simply don't notice stuff that others might object to. My friend has a deaf dog which responds well to sight signals, but has loud barking fits in the house which are ignored and will run up to people and dogs in the park when off the lead. While she complains about other dogs approaching hers, her animal's similar action just doesn't get seen. It's like a blind spot and appears uncurable. The real problem with antisocial dog behaviour is that it isn't a minority of owners, but most of them, including the ones who maintain innocence. They just aren't aware of it, and nowt can change that.

The thing that gets me is the dog owners (who no doubt "always pick up after my dog") walking along the towpath and their dog walking off the lead some distance behind them. Said dog stops for a crap and the owner continues on walking oblivious to what is going behind them. I've watched this many times from the tiller whilst cruising and give a short toot on the horn to draw their attention.  But what if I wasn't there? Crap gets left behind and the dog owner is oblivious to it.

• Greenie 2