Classic dog walker.

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

41 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I love dogs and in general I'm all for as many freedoms as possible but I do sometimes wonder if dogs need to be controlled a little more. If a dog off a lead pees over my mooring ropes the owner will usually be highly apologetic. I'm not really bothered personally, but what strikes me is that the apology is completely meaningless. Because, inevitably, following the apology, the dog will still be free to pee over the next set of mooring ropes. I wish people wouldn't apologise in such circumstances. I'm more bothered by their totally false apology rather than what their dog did.  

I like dogs too  

There’s just far too many of ‘em. 
And it don’t particularly bother me if a dog pees on me ropes. 
And if a dog puts it’s head in the cratch while I’m having me bacon sandwich I’ll gladly share 

But soon there’ll be more dogs than people. 
I’ve even seen pictures of dogs playing pool and poker, while smoking cigars and drinking.  

On 15/09/2020 at 11:31, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I don't agree. If people are allowed to hang dog poo bags in the trees without this being challenged the practice will continue unabated. While placing them in a more prominent place might technically be a crime the intention is to bring this anti social practice to an end by highlighting to the public that it's very common. I'd be breaking the law for the purpose of the betterment of society, for the greater good. I'd be quite happy to stand in front of a judge and explain this. Anyway, this is all hypothetical. People creating year round Christmas trees along the towpath aren't seen when they carry out their nasty deed, and neither am I when I bring their behaviour to the attention of the public.  

And there I was going around finding baggies on the towpath and hanging them up in a tree thinking the person responsible would be more likely to remember to collect it on their return if it was in a more prominent position, I feel such a fool now ?

• Greenie 1

I walk dogs for a living , so I walk a fair few miles normally in circuits my poo bags are distinctive so on the way back I can collect up to 8 or 9 bags, its these idiots who  bag and throw them in bushes etc that gives the rest of us a bad name tbh I usually go through 120 bags or more a month :unsure:

I'm onboard and some person has recently left a bag hanging on a bramble, near my rear doors, no reason for this, it's a well wooded area, if they want to 'clean up', just throw the poo in to tbe scrub, there is another crap about 100 yards away,

There is a large fine by LA here in Notts, very little poo in towns, though why folks take their dogs into towns, I don't know.

Maybe, the CRT could do something' about this, not sure what, as Ithe last thing I want to see are poo bins and litter bins on the cut.

I had a dog at a time when not so many people had one, he was trained to crap in tbe gutter in a town situation. I hate the stuff, so that is one reason I don't have a dog.  My cat is very secretive, in three years I've only seen him crap once, and he buries it,

41 minutes ago, LadyG said:

My cat is very secretive, in three years I've only seen him crap once, and he buries it,

That' is  due to cats being more intelligent and certainly more resourceful than dogs .

As for hanging bags of dog dirt in bags  trees that is , at least , better than leaving it on the ground .

But why do people feel a need to leave the poo hanging in a tree in the first place ? 

If people want a dog surely should go prepared with sufficient  bags and should be prepared to carry the stuff until they find a dedicated bin or take it home and bin it. And if walking several dogs simply take more bags and a big bag to put the little bags in.

Edited by MartynG
  • Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, MartynG said:

As for hanging bags of dog dirt in bags  trees that is , at least , better than leaving it on the ground .

But why do people feel a need to leave the poo hanging in a tree in the first place ? 

If people want a dog surely should go prepared with sufficient  bags and should be prepared to carry the stuff until they find a dedicated bin or take it home and bin it. And if walking several dogs simply take more bags and a big bag to put the little bags in.

Because they want the pleasure of owning a dog, but aren't prepared to face up to all of the responsibilities. Selfish people, basically.

Edited by The Welsh Cruiser

On 16/09/2020 at 18:50, Sir Nibble said:

Isn't that a responsibility you take on when you first get the dog?

Obviously there are responsibilities to owning a dog, and I take them seriously and would consider myself to be a responsible owner.

If we are in a built up, paved path/pavement type area, we will pick up our dogs poo and then carry it to the nearest bin, which is sometimes close and sometimes remarkably few and far between.

However if we are on a 4 hour walk in a rural location, in the Welsh hills of Lake District or just a 30-60 min walk the local woods/fields, then after much thought on the topic, I don't see a problem with the 'stick and flick' approach or an advantage to bagging it in single use plastic and then carrying it 6 miles back to the car. As per the premise at the start of the conversation, bagging it and leaving it is the worse of all worlds!

When we first got the dog, we got out bags, and used them frequently. We got through loads and loads of them, the internet suggested most of the 'biodegradable' claims did little reduce the impact or pollution, and then gradually a combination of adapting or walks to be in greener areas and those with less people which suited us and our slightly anxious rescue anyway, have cut down bag use to almost nothing, a few a week at most. I our own garden I observe usually they are well broken down with a week or max two. 

At which point, stick and flick is just simpler and better in almost all cases.

Daniel

On 16/09/2020 at 12:45, DHutch said:

This. Stick and flick wherever you can. If you cant, bag it and bin it.

We always think before bagging it 'where is the next bin' as you don't want to be left carrying crap for the whole damn walk!

Daniel

I would let the dog out inthe yard to crap, then take him for a walk.

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

You've still got to pick it up ? . I think by the time we got home to our yard (if we had one) when we were boating the dog would have crapped several times .  Stick and flick is fine if you can flick into an area where no one walks and there will be enough wee beasties to eat the poo before it starts to smell. 

Cats, however, I find (and we used to have cats) prefer to do their crapping in next doors garden and the fact that they bury it means that when you are gardenning you run the risk of getting cat poo on your hands. At least with dog poo you can see it ? 

haggis 

On 18/09/2020 at 17:14, haggis said:

You've still got to pick it up ? . I think by the time we got home to our yard (if we had one) when we were boating the dog would have crapped several times .  Stick and flick is fine if you can flick into an area where no one walks and there will be enough wee beasties to eat the poo before it starts to smell. 

Cats, however, I find (and we used to have cats) prefer to do their crapping in next doors garden and the fact that they bury it means that when you are gardenning you run the risk of getting cat poo on your hands. At least with dog poo you can see it ? 

haggis 

We had cats for years (decades) and presently have  our next doors neighbours cat as an adopted visitor.  Cat poo has never been an issue even when our own cat used our own garden as its toilet. 

If you really think about what is in garden soil you would know that wearing gloves and /or thoroughly washing hands after being in contact with it is a  sound plan.

On 18/09/2020 at 17:05, LadyG said:

We do that too, but one of the two doesn't usual go in the garden but instead ways for the first opportunity off lead. It's like clockwork. Only at the edges in the long grass.

Daniel

On 13/09/2020 at 20:50, buccaneer66 said:

A lot just throw it in the bushes.

Making a minor environmental problem major.  Much better to get a stick and push it off the path where it will rot down and cease to be a problem in not many days.

N

On 18/09/2020 at 14:04, DHutch said:

Obviously there are responsibilities to owning a dog, and I take them seriously and would consider myself to be a responsible owner.

If we are in a built up, paved path/pavement type area, we will pick up our dogs poo and then carry it to the nearest bin, which is sometimes close and sometimes remarkably few and far between.

However if we are on a 4 hour walk in a rural location, in the Welsh hills of Lake District or just a 30-60 min walk the local woods/fields, then after much thought on the topic, I don't see a problem with the 'stick and flick' approach or an advantage to bagging it in single use plastic and then carrying it 6 miles back to the car. As per the premise at the start of the conversation, bagging it and leaving it is the worse of all worlds!

When we first got the dog, we got out bags, and used them frequently. We got through loads and loads of them, the internet suggested most of the 'biodegradable' claims did little reduce the impact or pollution, and then gradually a combination of adapting or walks to be in greener areas and those with less people which suited us and our slightly anxious rescue anyway, have cut down bag use to almost nothing, a few a week at most. I our own garden I observe usually they are well broken down with a week or max two. 

At which point, stick and flick is just simpler and better in almost all cases.

Daniel

Heartily concur!

I am happy to take litter from folks walking along the towpath, but not their dog poo.

PS Would the person who left their dog poo outside my boat please pick it up,it is brown,semi solid and in a green bag, currently hanging on a blackberry branch. I would guess the dog is medium size, and fed on tinned food, with a few biscuits , there is no evidence of maize or plastic, bigger than a Westie, smaller than a Doberman, a Border Collie owner would not be such a selfish git, so now I am looking out for a lazy idle male ,  wearing black joggers with cheap trainers and a T shirt with Fcuk.

On 16/09/2020 at 12:45, DHutch said:

This. Stick and flick wherever you can. If you cant, bag it and bin it.

We always think before bagging it 'where is the next bin' as you don't want to be left carrying crap for the whole damn walk!

Daniel

Pity the poor man who has to empty the poo bin.

TAKE YOUR LITTER HOME. 

Dogs carry disease in their faeces,.

You wanted a dog, feed it and clean up afterwards.

I don't have a dog, because I am a responsible animal lover. I have had a dog, two dogs of my own, and two others, one a working dog, one a pet poodle.

Dogs are often intelligent, very sensitive,.

If you go to  an open day where working dogs are displayed you will be astounded. 

If you want a dog, fgs take a training course, then decide if you are a responsible adult or not.

I have worked with animals all my life, and have only got a grasp of their abilities, when you see a real  trainer working with their  trainee, you will be surprised. They must be astounded at how little their master understands.

A few months ago, I was walking past a standard poodle, his owner was allowing the dog to growl at me, so I asked him to stop it doing that, owner said "dog is my guard" or some such nonsense I looked at dog told it to shut up, which it duly did. The poor dog, not sure what it is supposed to be doing., not sure who is the leader of the pack. 

Edited by LadyG

10 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Pity the poor man who has to empty the poo bin.

TAKE YOUR LITTER HOME. 

Dogs carry disease in their faeces, you wanted a dog, I don't have a dog, because I am a responsible animal lover.

BejeesusX, if you wanta dog, fgs take a training course, then decide if you are a responsible adult 

But you have a cat and cats also carry disease and in fact they need worming far more often than dogs.

Much might be said on both sides of the argument. 

Haggis