Classic dog walker.

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

On the Macc this morning, dog craps on the towpath, owner dutifully picks it up, bags it. Puts bag tidily on lock landing bollard next to where I'm waiting to go up Bosley. "Dog bin at the next lock", I say. "There's one just back there" he says, walking off. "I'll pick it up on my way back. I'm not walking around carrying that about".

The bin at the previous lock is about ten yards from where he's left it. And before you ask, by the time the conversation was done I was in the middle of the cut going in the lock, so I'm afraid i left it there, as did the boat following me.

I saw exactly the same thing on moorings on the Shroppie last week. Bloke gets off his boat with his dog, walks 20 feet till dog craps, he then picks it up in a plastic bag and throws it into the hedge.          Not being a dog owner this set me wondering ---- what do all you boating dog owners do with the crap you pick up from your dogs??

17 minutes ago, tosher said:

I saw exactly the same thing on moorings on the Shroppie last week. Bloke gets off his boat with his dog, walks 20 feet till dog craps, he then picks it up in a plastic bag and throws it into the hedge.          Not being a dog owner this set me wondering ---- what do all you boating dog owners do with the crap you pick up from your dogs??

I have a bigger poly bag on the front deck and I put the (knotted) dog poo bag in there and keep it till we find a refuse disposal place. The bag sits under the gunwale near the front  where there is no chance of it being trodden on ? .  With supermarkets not giving free poly bags now I was running short till I started getting food deliveries and I found that they put only a few items in each bag so my "stock" is now greatly increased.  One small good thing about Covid!

haggis

Edited by haggis
  • Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, tosher said:

Normally goes in the rubbish double bagged or in a nearby dog poo bin.

I have also been known to flick it into a hedge back/undergrowth un bagged, which is the suggestion of the forestry commision as it cuts down on plastic waste. Not where a path might be strimmed though.........yuk.

https://www.forestryengland.uk/dog-code

Edited by The Happy Nomad

We went to Delamere Forest a few years ago, and there were signs all over the place asking you not to put it in a plastic bag, rather find a stick and flick it into the bushes/undergrowth.

Given that it takes plastic a long time to break down, I generally leave the bags open, and put them in the bin. Sometimes I flick it into a hedge - depends.

I have a canvas bag that contains pooh bags, treats, keys and phone that I take with me every time I walk the dogs. I put full, knotted pooh bags in it and we have a small, lidded plastic bin on the back which gets emptied into any handy dog pooh bin or put in with our rubbish when we get rid of it. I really don’t understand why people bag it then realise they will have to carry it round with them so resort to leaving it behind!

Edited by Beo

8 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

What I don't understand is why the dogs can't be persuaded to defecate in the owner's garden?

They can.

But when you are on your boat and your garden is 200 miles away it seems a long way to travel........just for a dump.

9 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

What I don't understand is why the dogs can't be persuaded to defecate in the owner's garden?

Dogs can and do defecate in their own gardens. Dogs also require exercise and just like with humans that can get the old bowels going. 

12 hours ago, tosher said:

Put it in a bin if there is one. If not it gets double bagged and put in the rubbish bin on the boat which then gets emptied at the next available place.

11 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Sydney is a funny sod and will only wee and poo in our garden as an absolute last resort. Not sure why as we would be quite happy for him to do so but he won't!

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

Sydney is a funny sod and will only wee and poo in our garden as an absolute last resort. Not sure why as we would be quite happy for him to do so but he won't!

Ours is the same - regular as, er well, a regular thing. A measured distance from home and he crouches and poos for England. Must have been holding it in but he will NOT go within a certain distance of home.

Are biodegradable poo-bags the first product designed for those who deliberately use them wrong?

• If you flick the poo into the undergrowth with a stick (as we do in open country) you don't need a bag at all
  • If you bag it and take to the next suitable bin (as we do when the above isn't possible) it doesn't need to be biodgradable

The only reason for biodegradable poo bags is to allow for those who "bag it and chuck it"?

Most days I walk to dog with a litter picker/carrier bag and pick up peoples poo bag/poo lying on the floor as well as the normal crap people drop. At the peak of the walk there is a handy bin it gets dropped into.

I must admit it may be counter productive as the imbeciles that think this is acceptable  must walk the same route and pat themselves on the back that it's biodegraded.

Had a first early today - a woman saw me picking up litter and asked if she could put her fresh poo bag in my carrier!   Being a softy and suprised I mumbled yes.  At least she did not hang it in the bushes!

Edited by mark99

14 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Dog ownership among peole with boats seems to me very common . So it may be  some of the dog walkers are boaters . So perhaps no garden is available.

In any case I think part of the idea of walking a dog may be to get it to keep its bowels moving .

15 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I had one that did, You could walk him for ages, as soon as he was home it was out in the back garden. I am glad the later ones wern't like that, can you imagine what it would do after a month away on the boat, I would needed to get a digger in.

4 hours ago, 1st ade said:

The only reason for biodegradable poo bags is to allow for those who "bag it and chuck it"?

And are they biodegradable or just break down into micro plastic

15 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

If Darwin's theory was correct, cats should have learned to use a tin opener by now ...

Why would the cats  bother to do that when they have human slaves to do it for them.?

There's a point on the K&A between Bathampton and Bath where there's a chain link fence and a side path joins the towpath. Early last summer I walked past it and there must have been forty or fifty bags of dog crap (in various stages of rot) hanging off the fence. What lovely people.

16 hours ago, Onionman said:

What lovely people.

The mind boggles, doesn't it? 

Still, after all of the above, we ought to bear in mind that this thread is mis-titled. I don't believe we are talking about the "Classic Dog Walker" here. Most folk I see clean up after their dog and take the bag with them.

What we're actually discussing here are inconsiderate twits. They're not "Classic" dog walkers, drivers, cyclists, fishermen, boaters, or whatever walk of life they infest. They're a minority who poison the well wherever they go. We should try bear that in mind whenever we come across them.

• Greenie 2