What roller to use for blacking

sunny

Featured Posts

To be honest I wouldn't use a roller for blacking. If you roll at the normal fastish speed it will roll over tiny pits without impregnating them, next day you find them popped and needing brushing in again.  Roll very slow or just use a brush.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

The two times I've blacked my hull I've used cheap 4" rollers, after cutting in the corners and hard to get bits with a brush. All pits filled, every bit of the hull covered, 3 or 4 times.

Exactly this. Roll quite slowly so that the blacking gets into all the pits and other unevennesses in the surface.

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I prefer any roller or brush that has someone else holding it!

More accurately, I tend to use a 4" gloss roller with a brush for the fiddly bits.  Last time we did 3 boats consecutively with all 3 of us helping each other.  

For clarity, we used 2-pack not bitumen.

18 hours ago, sunny said:

Best type of roller to use for hull blacking

Any longish fleecy type of cheap roller. Don’t use a foam one, they leave air bubbles that burst and can leave bare patches. 

I used to roller everywhere, then go back and brush into all the inaccessible corners and angles, or brush first then roller afterwards. 

Rollers work perfectly well, just take your time: brushing is a huge faff and hard work.

Rollers and brushes can be left in a bucket of water between coats, btw.

The above relates to use of bituminous paints, obviously.

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, David Mack said:

Exactly this. Roll quite slowly so that the blacking gets into all the pits and other unevennesses in the surface.

Unlike most marinas, who slap it on as quickly as possible- two coats if you are lucky.

I use chap 4” brushes, wrap in cling film between coats (good for two or three days) then binned.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, dor said:

Unlike most marinas, who slap it on as quickly as possible- two coats if you are lucky.

I use chap 4” brushes, wrap in cling film between coats (good for two or three days) then binned.

Not all marinas, as you know. My post is based on me having done a lot of blacking, always two coats after a seriously fussy power wash with a really strong, hot, jet washer.