Using high powered magnets on a canal boat

Eloisec93

Featured Posts

On 11/09/2020 at 13:36, Cas446 said:

Yup used magnets for many years. I used these, although my panels are flat.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184140469497

Obviously your panels could be stolen, but once the magnets are on, it's not an easy or quick task to lift them back off.

Also what I use. To be fair though, I work for Guy (the seller on eBay) so it seemed daft to use anything else. They held the panels in 70mph+ gusts during the storms early in the year.

On 12/09/2020 at 12:29, jenevers said:

As an aside, is there any evidence that magnets on fuel lines has a positive effect?

They were fitted to the fuel lines on Spitfires and Hurricanes during the war, and presumably to other Rolls Royce Merlin engined planes. No. I am not quite that old to have been there.

On 11/09/2020 at 18:04, ditchcrawler said:

I have been convinced for years that Tesco have big magnets as I can never cruise past one without stopping.

It's the brand new cars that are magnetic - there is always at least one in the car park.

33 minutes ago, pig said:

I had powerful magnets on the boat for a while; travelling North was fine, any other direction was a problem.

I would have thought the compass told you that you were travelling north all the time.

On 12/09/2020 at 12:29, jenevers said:

As an aside, is there any evidence that magnets on fuel lines has a positive effect?

No.

What magnetic material is there in petrol (or diesel)?

2 hours ago, jenevers said:

Interesting. There must have been some reason for that.

This site makes some interesting claims. I wonder what @Dr Bob thinks of them?

http://permagconditioner.com/doc/RAF_and_NASA_fuel.pdf

This site talks all about a patent for similar:

https://patents.justia.com/patent/6024073

• Happy 1

9 hours ago, WotEver said:

This site makes some interesting claims. I wonder what @Dr Bob thinks of them?

http://permagconditioner.com/doc/RAF_and_NASA_fuel.pdf

This site talks all about a patent for similar:

https://patents.justia.com/patent/6024073

Well wot an interesting read. Thanks Tony for bringing it to my attention. Physical chemistry is one of the 4 main branches of chemistry dealing with the make up of materials such as protons and electrons and the spin orbitals and energy levels and all that crap about Schrodingers's wave equations. I was never very good at that! I did know about para and orthodox hydrogen and it is fascinating to read about how it affects fuel burns and that patent is a star at describing how you can combine magnets with catalysts to enhance combustion due to separating out small molecules etc. 

Now this all got me thinking about how well my ecofan ( other fans are available) is working. We have a very old fashioned Telly near the stove and it's magnets must be having an effect on the stove in a similar way to what was described in the paper you linked to. The fire certainly burns hotter each evening when the Telly is on but I am now postulating the fan goes round faster as the magnet must be producing more ortho hydrogen in the coating of said fan thereby giving it far more energy. If the hydrogen electrons are spinning in the reverse direction, this may mean the fan is also spinning in reverse? I have not been aware of this issue so never even looked closely. I wonder if I introduce another magnet if I can get said stove fan to go even faster? I am not 100% sure where to place it as incorrect polarity placement could cause a decrease in energy that would be detrimental to the excercise. If anyone has any ideas then please let me know. One thing though, please don't tell Smelly we are discussing this. I don't think he likes TVs with big magnets.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

I was wondering the same thing. Keeping any detritus well away from the cylinders. 

Probably more about keeping debris well away from the small holes in the carburettor passages and jets, not to mention Miss Shillings orifice.

N

I used a couple of 75mm diameter NdFeB magnets that I bought from ebay to keep my dinghy alongside my boat and paint the shaded side of my cabin at my mooring. The bank side was in the sun and far too hot to paint.

s-l1600.jpg

I covered them in cloth to protect the paint but I still needed a 8" long extension bar from a socket set levered through the eye of the magnet to get them off when I needed to move the dinghy.

DSC01964 - Copy.JPG

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 2

On 13/09/2020 at 14:19, Tracy D'arth said:

They were fitted to the fuel lines on Spitfires and Hurricanes during the war, and presumably to other Rolls Royce Merlin engined planes. No. I am not quite that old to have been there.

Wasn’t that tin pellets?

3 hours ago, Dartagnan said:

@blackrose what a great ides.

Thanks but I can't take credit, it was one of my neighbour's idea. I have to admit when he initially suggested painting from my dinghy on the shady side of the boat using magnets to keep the dinghy secured I thought it was a stupid idea, but the more I thought about it the more feasible it seemed. And it worked really well.  

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I know nothing about pellets but dad had a tin hat with ARP stencilled on it. Didn't fly Spitfires either.

They have a revival every so often with all sorts of claims made for them, usually with a reference to their use in the Spitfire.  Better mpg, reduced emissions and various other wonderful improvements designed to take in the gullible.

With all the fuss about emissions and CO2 wouldn’t they be standard if they worked?

1 hour ago, dor said:

They have a revival every so often with all sorts of claims made for them, usually with a reference to their use in the Spitfire.  Better mpg, reduced emissions and various other wonderful improvements designed to take in the gullible.

With all the fuss about emissions and CO2 wouldn’t they be standard if they worked?

Spitfires on BBC4 right now