Swan Hatch Perspex Cover

robtheplod

Featured Posts

Hi All

I'm look to rig up a perspex cover on our swan hatch to let light in and not the cold. The size is 61cm x 74cm and trying to decide how thick the perspex should be - don't want it to be too heavy or too bendy, but it will need to take small holes for the fixings

!

I'm thinking 5mm should do it - I'm after advice from others who have already trodden this path - is this enough or go thicker/thinner?  the cost difference is small ....  thanks!!!

27 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Hi All

I'm look to rig up a perspex cover on our swan hatch to let light in and not the cold. The size is 61cm x 74cm and trying to decide how thick the perspex should be - don't want it to be too heavy or too bendy, but it will need to take small holes for the fixings

!

I'm thinking 5mm should do it - I'm after advice from others who have already trodden this path - is this enough or go thicker/thinner?  the cost difference is small ....  thanks!!!

Having been menaced by a swan through the side door whilst working in the engine room yesterday, I'm personally more interested in a perspex cover for the bl**dy swans.

MP.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

A world shortage of Perspex is concerning (and perplexing) but now there's a world shortage of friends too?  This is start of the apocalypse I tell ye!

The government is introducing a world beating solution to the shortage of friends: from Monday, everyone will be limited to being in a group of just 6 friends - those taking more than their fair share will be fined. ;)

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

The government is introducing a world beating solution to the shortage of friends: from Monday, everyone will be limited to being in a group of just 6 friends - those taking more than their fair share will be fined. ;)

If everyone is limited to 6 maybe I'll get some leftovers?

16 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

And once a week we'll all clap the people with no friends?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

There is polycarbonate sheet and acrylic sheet, both look similar but polycarbonate is likely to be tougher and a little more scratch proof. Perspex is a trade name.

This sliding window on our undercloth conversion is made of 5mm polycarbonate. I'm very pleased with its durability. I made  previous windows with acrylic sheets, but these suffered from crazing*, discoloration and scratched easily.  

If you go for polycarbonate which is much stronger and easier to work than acrylic, make sure you get a sheet that is UV resistant and has a scratch resistant coating.

* I've tried to find why the acrylic sheeting failed, but having googled it, I'm none the wiser - possibly because of stress or the result of UV light.

20190928_171742 (1).jpg

Edited by koukouvagia
misplaced apostrophe
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Hi All

!

I made a double glazed one, not sealed but a lot more rigid and feels warmer. The out sheet of  macron plastic is larger than the aperture screwed to a hard wood frame to fit the aperture and thin cheaper plastic sheet on the inside

• Greenie 1

4mm should be sarong enough. We have done similar but ours slides in to channels that I machined into the wood surrounds. We use 3mm which is just about strong enough but also bendy enough to give if the hatch ever needs to be used as a fire escape.

.................Dave

• Greenie 1

55 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

If you go for polycarbonate which is much stronger and easier to work than acrylic, make sure you get a sheet that is UV resistant and has a scratch resistant coating.

That's the critical bit, and yes it costs a little bit more but it's false economy not to do it.

On 11/09/2020 at 14:20, koukouvagia said:

This sliding window on our undercloth conversion is made of 5mm polycarbonate. I'm very pleased with its durability.

Not sure what material but ours sound like this. Made/installed by the previous owner/fitter-out. Same sort of fittings as in #11 but white plastic (handles) and brass (bolts). Stored on board and fitted when required using the handles to manoeuvre into position and the bolts to hold in place using usual steel hatch sockets. And they are 5mm thick - light enough to position & store. Rigid enough not to rattle or flex. On narrow-boat/both sides.

• Greenie 1