Raw water genset cooling noise

Tasemu

Featured Posts

I'm getting quite a lot of noise from behind my genset, there appears to be some kind of nozzle at a high point in the piping after the secondary filter. It appears to be to let air out of the pipe. It is making quite a racket but I don't think its steam or anything. I'm slightly worried though and was hoping someone may be able to inform me why its doing that.

Cheers for any help!

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

Anti siphon valve?   Picture?  More info- which genny?   You know we like detail on here. 

Good point sorry! I'll add a picture once my phone charges. Its a beta BZ 482 with raw water cooling. Installed in the engine bay. There appears to be a separate weed hatch for it, which then pipes to a secondary filter, then to this valve or nozzle (looks like an upside down plastic drip tip) and then into the genny. :)

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Sounds like a vacuum break on an exhaust swan neck but that has nothing to do with filters so once again photo.

Never heard of a secondariness filter on cooling system.

It could be the only filter, i just heard it called that by another boater. :) Pics incoming shortly!

1 minute ago, Tasemu said:

Good point sorry! I'll add a picture once my phone charges. Its a beta BZ 482 with raw water cooling. Installed in the engine bay. There appears to be a separate weed hatch for it, which then pipes to a secondary filter, then to this valve or nozzle (looks like an upside down plastic drip tip) and then into the genny. :)

It could be the only filter, i just heard it called that by another boater. :) Pics incoming shortly!

Thanks.

If its what I think it is that secondary filter would normally be referred to as a strainer or water/sea inlet strainer. If you have a mud box that would cause some to call the strainer a secondary whatever.

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

Thanks.

If its what I think it is that secondary filter would normally be referred to as a strainer or water/sea inlet strainer. If you have a mud box that would cause some to call the strainer a secondary whatever.

I think that is exactly what it is yeah

Anti-siphon valve all cleaned up but i couldn't spot any blockage or anything in the pipes or the valve, it did have a little rubber thing in it that is what i'm guessing is knackered and making it squeak. I've also noticed that there was very little water filling the strainer bowl when running. I put my finger on the anti-siphon valve for a second when it was running and now the bowl is about half full and looks to be pumping happier. I think i've been overheating the genny lately and maybe this is why? Is there an issue where a broken valve could cause the pump to pull more air than water and raise the temp? The genny still puts water out the exhaust either way though... I'm confused haha.

19 minutes ago, Tasemu said:

Is there an issue where a broken valve could cause the pump to pull more air than water and raise the temp?

Yes

The valve is knackered. Its  there to prevent water syphoning back into the engine. when a previous one of mine did this I bypassed it until I could get a replacement.

Incidentally neither of my last two raw water cooled engines have had that valve fitted.

Edited by Loddon

11 hours ago, Loddon said:

Yes

The valve is knackered. Its  there to prevent water syphoning back into the engine. when a previous one of mine did this I bypassed it until I could get a replacement.

Incidentally neither of my last two raw water cooled engines have had that valve fitted.

It all depends on exhaust height in relation to the waterline. If the water injection point is more than around 9 inches above the water line, it is not needed.

3 hours ago, Steve56 said:

It all depends on exhaust height in relation to the waterline. If the water injection point is more than around 9 inches above the water line, it is not needed.

Certainly on the Barge genset it was,  the Freeman I am not sure about, I will have to check the height on Loddon when I next get up there. The Snapdragon did have one but then the level above the waterline was forever changing ;)