Modern Canal Diversions

Heartland

Featured Posts

Some modern canal diversions, such as Stoke on Trent, have been discussed recently, but there are others which are not so obvious. On the BCN at Broad Street, in Wolverhampton, the canal was made in a new semi circular channel to pass under a wide road junction in previous times the canal had gone straight on past Hay Basin to the top lock.

Broad St 11.jpg

The view from the Waterways Archive shows a straight canal and a heritage bridge, now at the Black Country Museum-

Broad St 10.jpg

Edited by Heartland

1 hour ago, jake_crew said:

Banbury, as Athy said ..................old route in yellow, new route in red.

..banbury.jpg.108c6b18bcf1ef2c6ec27eec2a2db872.jpg

What a pleasingly clear graphic.

As well as the old arm below the yellow line, used for moorings, there's a little stub immediately above it - just right for turning round.

58 minutes ago, Loddon said:

The last 61metres of Limhouse Cut put in  to link into the Regents Canal Dock and  bypass the old lock into the Thames.

Opened in 1968. 

Or does this count as a new canal ?

Approximate line of original canal (Limehouse Cut) in pink, new section in blue. 

I don't claim this is perfectly accurate as I just made it up off top of my head. Old maps would probably show it more accurately.. Blue dot is my current location :)

IMG_20200911_135443.jpg.ea9a55b9d280c1ee3a4a226d48bbd632.jpg

Actually a bit more complex than that...

Screenshot_2020-09-11-13-59-34-100_com.android.chrome.png.5fbc8dc152731ba337cae38cdffdbf69.png

Edited by magnetman

This shows just how close to the canal I used to live: from age 13 I lived in Packington. Yet I didn't have the faintest idea that the canal was there and never heard it mentioned, even though it was still commercially active for several years after my family moved to the area.

Progress seems to have slowed down, which is a pity.

Edinburgh & Glasgow Union Canal : Diversion 200 yards or so west for M8 crossing, diversion from old lock 1 to Falkirk Wheel, utilising Port Maxwell arm, plus a few other minor ones.

Forth and Clyde : Diversion from old lock 3 to join River Carron.