Jump to content

Rivers restored to navigation


Featured Posts

Slightly off topic
This post has me thinking (nowt much else to do) about the devastated Figure of Three Locks on the Calder Navigation. There's an old lock above the damaged area that used to give access to the river. I'm wondering if it would be cheaper for CaRT to restore that lock instead of repairing the damage. The River would then need dredging at points down to Broadcut but that presumably would be the responsibility of the E.A. and if the original act of parliament was never rescinded wouldn't they be obliged to restore it for navigation? 

Edited by Midnight
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Midnight said:

if the original act of parliament was never rescinded wouldn't they be obliged to restore it for navigation? 

Hah! Let me tell you the sad story of Welches Dam lock, responsibility of the EA, through which a statutory right of navigation certainly exists.

 

MP.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MoominPapa said:

Hah! Let me tell you the sad story of Welches Dam lock, responsibility of the EA, through which a statutory right of navigation certainly exists.

 

 

Its being followed by the New Bedford River which I understand is almost impassable, two groundings / sinkings so far this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Really? I rather like the New Bedford. Is it too shallow?

 

MP.

Paul advised me not to do it even on a big tide which it is next week. He said that two boats, at separate times,  one cruiser and one NB had become stuck on the way up and effectively didn't refloat on the next tide. He said if I did want to do it I should do a recce from the bridge at Welney because you can see the problem from there.

Its a good run up there,  9 years since I last did it and that was in my Freeman.

Edited by Loddon
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Paul advised me not to do it even on a big tide which it is next week. He said that two boats, at separate times,  one cruiser and one NB had become stuck on the way up and effectively didn't refloat on the next tide. He said if I did want to do it I should do a recce from the bridge at Welney because you can see the problem from there.

Its a good run up there,  9 years since I last did it and that was in my Freeman.

Damn. I blame Brexit.

 

MP.

 

  • Happy 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Paul advised me not to do it even on a big tide which it is next week. He said that two boats, at separate times,  one cruiser and one NB had become stuck on the way up and effectively didn't refloat on the next tide. He said if I did want to do it I should do a recce from the bridge at Welney because you can see the problem from there.

Its a good run up there,  9 years since I last did it and that was in my Freeman.

Thanks, that is interesting (and a bit surprising). I nearly did the trip down from Earith last week, but the water was about a metre above normal at Earith,  and it would have meant an overnight stay on the smart new pontoons at Denver.  I last did the Earith to Denver run 12 months ago, with no problems. 

 

The EA were running a lot of water down the New Bedford a couple of weeks ago, and none down the Old, which explains why the level was high at Earith. I wonder if they were trying to flush out the silt at Welney ??

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/09/2020 at 14:00, buccaneer66 said:

There are channels and lock remains but I think it may not be done for navigation.

The Itchen was navigable to Winchester, hence the locks, but it was a long time ago. There are some very influential landowners down South who will prevent any navigation on the Itchen, including canoes. A friend of a friend proposed a canoe trip/protest many years ago but backed out, he honestly believed that he would be "accidentally" shot.

 

..............Dave

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.