Isuzu 35 overheating

Featured Posts

Hi guys

So, I have a raw water cooled Isuzu 35 in my Springer which has just started to pump out steam and then my overheating light came on soon after. Been running for only about 2hrs,mostly at tickover.

Can anyone advise the best places to start looking to diagnose please?

TIA

Brett

Raw water cooling comes in two versions. Direct raw water where you never have to fill the engine with coolant and Indirect raw water where you do have coolant in the engine and often a car type radiator cap. If the things @TheBiscuits do not solve the problem we probably need to know which type of raw water cooling you have. As its an Isuzu so in a Springer a replacement I suspect its Indirect but who knows for sure.

After two hours my guess would be a blocked inlet strainer and remember those should be checked before starting each day. Also things like carrier bags can get sucked over the inlet and block it so the strainer is clear but the water can't flow in.

Hey all, so I have disconnected the inlet pipe and opened the valve fully and am getting only a drip through!

Can anyone tell me what is between this valve and the canal flowing in???

I have poked about through the external grill but is there anything else in between that I'm missing???

Thanks

15997515375256355690319425835584.jpg

Have you had the swim hard against the clay and have you felt around the outside of that inlet?

There shoudl be nothing apart from possibly a strainer on the outside of the hull. The strainer is often domed and rather larger in diameter than the inlet hole in the hull because the holes in the strainer are small so you eed ore of them to get the correct amount of water through it.

The "gate" on those gate valves can fall off, have you made sure the valve is actually open? Push something up the pipe.

3 hours ago, maverickcoddiwompler said:

Hey all, so I have disconnected the inlet pipe and opened the valve fully and am getting only a drip through!

Can anyone tell me what is between this valve and the canal flowing in???

I have poked about through the external grill but is there anything else in between that I'm missing???

Thanks

15997515375256355690319425835584.jpg

It looks like a skin tank to me or is it something stuck on the swim

Edited by ditchcrawler

27 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

It has a wet exhaust and plastic silencer so it must be getting cooling water from somewhere. I suppose it could have a skin tank and a raw water cooled exhaust but that seems unlikely. It must have a raw water strainer somewhere? Doesn't seem to have one on the intake.

42 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

It looks like that acoustic foam to me.  Look near the fitting, where it's been roughly cut to fit - that's not a skin tank hopefully!

13 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

It must have a raw water strainer somewhere? Doesn't seem to have one on the intake.

It's at the top left of the photo.  You can see a shiny brass tail where the intake hose has been removed.

• Happy 1