distance measuring App

jenevers

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, PeterF said:

I used Google Earth once to measure canal width to see where I could turn my 55ft boat to save a lengthy return trip, although you can not tell if you can use the full width. Probably uses the same images and measuring as Google Maps.

Handy for showing tne width, but a shame it doesn't show the depth. ?

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Handy for showing tne width, but a shame it doesn't show the depth. ?

You need Google Marine for that. It’s not been launched yet but don’t think some bright young thing hasn't thought of it...

Edited by WotEver
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

Google earth regularly updates images and you can look at them all through the history button. Great for seeing how an area has changed. Some areas have images from 1945.

Imagine the effort that must go into wrapping all that onto a sphere and blending all the edges seamlessly together, instead of just showing it flat like it really is :D

On 09/09/2020 at 12:46, doratheexplorer said:

Then you don't need an app as such.  Go to google maps.  Turn on satellite view.  Use the measuring tool to measure from one side to the other.  I can't see any more accurate method without a tape measure.

image.png.35541a82c51d286a2d6f2da19624c194.png

Where is the measuring tool on Google maps?

11 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

Where is the measuring tool on Google maps?

Depends what device you're using.  The easiest way is with a laptop.  Right click anywhere on the map and a menu will appear.  One of the choices is the measuring tool.

On my phone you press and hold to drop a pin, then pull up the menu which appears at the bottom and choose 'measure distance'

Edited by doratheexplorer
  • Greenie 1