Under the gunwale - storage

Sir Percy

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Sir Percy said:

At any point along the hull, did you cut back on insulation or omit it altogether, to accommodate storage under the gunwale?

How did it turn out - a cold spot, or was it mitigated by the dead space of the storage?

Dont even think about it. You will regret it, good insulation is paramount to a comfortable boat. You will get damp quickly in any uninsulated or badly insulated locations.

• Greenie 1

think of it this way - insulation holds in heat.  if you omit insulation the heat will leak out like from a burst pipe.  don't omit any and also ensure that any cold spots (windows, window frames, gaps around doors, etc.) are fixed/insulated to the best of your ability.

....................  and as Missus Melly points out - a cold spot will cause local condensation.  the water vapour from all sources (breath, gas stove, kettle) will want to condense at the poorly insulated spots which will be damp and mouldy until next summer.

Edited by Murflynn

35 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

think of it this way - insulation holds in heat.

Yes, I'm asking anyone who has put in thinner insulation behind a storage unit has had problems with a cold spot there. I see examples of storage utg and can't see how there is enough useful space without compromising on insulation.

3 hours ago, Sir Percy said:

Yes, I'm asking anyone who has put in thinner insulation behind a storage unit has had problems with a cold spot there. I see examples of storage utg and can't see how there is enough useful space without compromising on insulation.

And hot spots in summer, which may spoil whatever is in your storage unit.

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Cupboards are already areas where there will be poor air circulation, compared with the open areas of the cabin. Cut down on insulation at the back of the cupboard and you are just inviting condensation and mould.

Yep, very true. Under the sink for instance on all our boats even though well built need ventilating occasionaly during winter to stop damp patches.