generator question

jenevers

Featured Posts

I have a 6K Genny and an 80A charger. Batteries were low this morning so I put the Genny on. The charger started putting 66A into the batteries but when I put the 1K immersion heater on the charge went down to 50A. Switched the heater off and charge went back up to 66A. Why can a 6K Genny not give out enough to run the heater and give full power to the charger??

9 minutes ago, jenevers said:

I have a 6K Genny and an 80A charger. Batteries were low this morning so I put the Genny on. The charger started putting 66A into the batteries but when I put the 1K immersion heater on the charge went down to 50A. Switched the heater off and charge went back up to 66A. Why can a 6K Genny not give out enough to run the heater and give full power to the charger??

Was the immersion heater being supplied by the generator, or, was it running off the batteries via the inverter ?

31 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Was the immersion heater being supplied by the generator, or, was it running off the batteries via the inverter ?

Good question. I'll have to investigate.

Can't check the wiring yet. But my Mass Inverter Charger Control  is all over the place! Reading (on bulk charge) is fluctuating every couple of seconds from 10A to 43A and every where in between (12.9volts). Looks like the charger might be on its way out?

Edited by jenevers

1 hour ago, jenevers said:

Good question. I'll have to investigate.

Can't check the wiring yet. But my Mass Inverter Charger Control  is all over the place! Reading (on bulk charge) is fluctuating every couple of seconds from 10A to 43A and every where in between (12.9volts). Looks like the charger might be on its way out?

How old are your batteries? I have found over my not inconsiderable full time lifestyle that when odd things happen with the lectrics even stuff that on paper doesnt make sense its invariably a duff cell, battery or batteries.

10 minutes ago, smiler said:

Do you have solar?

If so, could the charger be working against the solar charger - sending each other into float?

Yes but it's dull today.

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

How old are your batteries? I have found over my not inconsiderable full time lifestyle that when odd things happen with the lectrics even stuff that on paper doesnt make sense its invariably a duff cell, battery or batteries.

6 X 5 year old Trojans. I'll have to test them individually.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, jenevers said:

Mastervolt whisper 6000 (3000rpm)

Can't measure voltages at mo.

I THINK that a Mastervolt 6k output voltage is controlled by a capacitor. If so it may be that this is failing. Thats what happened on my Pagaru 4000 and output voltage just plummeted. Some years ago a Mastervolt 4k was a re-badged Paguro. 

On 09/09/2020 at 11:09, Alan de Enfield said:

I turned my inverter off while the Genny was running and the immersion heater stayed on. Same goes for my electric hob.

• Happy 1

On 09/09/2020 at 13:57, Slim said:

I THINK that a Mastervolt 6k output voltage is controlled by a capacitor. If so it may be that this is failing. Thats what happened on my Pagaru 4000 and output voltage just plummeted. Some years ago a Mastervolt 4k was a re-badged Paguro. 

Yes I've changed the 4 capacitors twice over the years so maybe it's that time again. Genny's only done 3,300 hours btw.