What to paint the roof with?

Featured Posts

I have seen a few people painting their roof's with different paint to the rest of their boats.

We have picked a International Toplac and want to paint the whole cabin with this, which might prove expensive.

Q1 - Is it common to use the same paint for the whole cabin including the roof, or use a different paint for the roof?

Q2 - the boat has at least 4 layers of paint, is it common to simply use an orbital sander to flatten and key the old paint ready for Toplac?

45 minutes ago, cairanvanrooyen said:

Q1 - Is it common to use the same paint for the whole cabin including the roof, or use a different paint for the roof?

I'd say yes.

Same type of paint but different colour - white, cream, or light grey for the roof keeps the roof from getting too hot.

45 minutes ago, cairanvanrooyen said:

Q2 - the boat has at least 4 layers of paint, is it common to simply use an orbital sander to flatten and key the old paint ready for Toplac?

It very much depends on the condition of the paint that you are leaving in place, any cracks or chips will show thru unless you do some extra work, any loose paint will mean that the new paint is also loose.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

i have recently repainted my roof with Symphony Narrow Boat paint  not cheap but very high quality, i was advised by professional  boat painters, not to thin the paint with white spirit ,as this can lead to flaking at a later date ,but thin with Owatrol oil which makes the paint flow more easily   and it contains a rust inhibitor . i have achieved a good finish but only time will tell. i did spend time treating the rusted areas with rust inhibitor prior to undercoat application. 

We use the same paint throughout, a Brunswick Green.

As said, a darker paint will get hot, but also will glare less when steering.

The paint we use is reasonably low gloss and not too slippy, to we avoid using gritted finish and the issues this causes with removal and or re-coating.

Another thing people do on historical boats is to paint the cabin top in a matt 'red oxide' which is obviously also not overly slippy when wet.

The roof is likely as large an area as both sides combined so using a cheaper paint will be an advantage on cost. 

Sometimes people paint a ring of the side paint below each roof vent. Which means amongst other things, overcoating the roof is fast.

Daniel

8 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Sometimes people paint a ring of the side paint below each roof vent. Which means amongst other things, overcoating the roof is fast.

To support this good idea from Daniel, fittings such as the vents are where rusting usually starts. Redoing this ring in its different paint is a far easier and gives a better finished result than doing a patch repair to the roof paint.

5 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

I've just done our roof with Black Country Paints paint. Much cheaper than Toplac, much more pigment and available in all RAL colours matt, semi gloss and gloss. They're also nice people to deal with.

Are they the people who used to make Craft Master paint in Phjil Speight's time?

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

Are they the people who used to make Craft Master paint in Phjil Speight's time?

No idea, but they're helpful, cheap and the paint is top quality. In comparison, Toplac is like a gold-plated pot of pi**.

8 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

To support this good idea from Daniel, fittings such as the vents are where rusting usually starts. Redoing this ring in its different paint is a far easier and gives a better finished result than doing a patch repair to the roof paint.

Whip off the mushrooms - sand and primed. Plusgas needed.

20200809_132602.jpg

Edited by mark99

Just done recently.

Rub down existing light blue, high build white undercoat and two topcoats. Roof was not too failed so not "to bare metal" repaint. Hatches removed and done separately. Cabin sides are dark blue. Craftmaster paint. Handrails were undercoated and topcoated too. Prep outside and main coats inside/undercover. Forget painting outside after Oct. (Dewpoint/weather). Nearly finished - just repainting rear harlequin (never again - takes ages).

20200810_175141_resized.jpg

20200822_105956.jpg

Edited by mark99

Raddle red done a couple years back.  High build undercoat (red and raddle two coats). On top of existing raddle which was patch repaired where bubbling up (primer used in patches). Note wet dock roof so infested with insects I had to "jury rig" my own tarp!  Harlequin just Alkyd varnished as in good nick at the time. The raddle looks glossy when freshly applied but it calms down to an eggshell finish quite quick.

20170408_131354.jpg

Edited by mark99

As I recall, Black Country Paints never mixed for Craftmaster. My local supplier, Atex, did and also what is now Symphony Coatings....they went under a different name then, Rapid Paint if I remember rightly. BCP is the paint of choice now for one of my customers, a long established yard.

20 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Symphony Coatings....they went under a different name then, Rapid Paint if I remember rightly.

I think you are, unsurprisingly of course, right. My boat was done in Rapid Paint and, although the "Fleet Green" went chalky early in its life under different ownership (for the want of Carnauba, I'm supposing) it's all still very sound at 12 years old.  Considering I budgeted for a repaint when I bought her, that's not a bad result in my book.

She's still very tidy and gets lots of compliments I don't really understand, but neither do I fear being pilloried for being a "Shiny Boater" (as if looking after you boat and taking a pride in it is a bad thing - go figure).

As a rank ameteur, as we almost all are compared to @dave moore , I'd certainly be happy shell out on Symphony.

4 hours ago, dave moore said:

As I recall, Black Country Paints never mixed for Craftmaster. My local supplier, Atex, did and also what is now Symphony Coatings....they went under a different name then, Rapid Paint if I remember rightly. BCP is the paint of choice now for one of my customers, a long established yard.

Would that be John Sanderson?

Personally I'd never paint my roof or any other deck with anything that didn't include a non-slip element, but being single handed I use my roof a lot. When I see a boat roof just painted in gloss I can't help thinking it's an accident waiting to happen, and as we know, slips and trips are the greatest cause of injures on boats.

I de-rusted, patch primed and undercoated a few areas of the roof this summer and went over the whole lot with light grey international interdeck, darkened with a bit of black Toplac. And yes I did check with international that they were compatible before mixing them together.

Edited by blackrose