Depth of water - spelling?

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

27 minutes ago, Athy said:

It's not so much us who struggle - it's those poor foreigners trying to master our language.

For example there are, I think, eight different ways of pronouncing "ough" in English.

I think I have mentioend this before, but a few years ago we were driving up the M1 with my son's American then girlfriend (now wife), and as we passed the junctions for Leicester and Loughborough, I asked her to say the place names....

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I think I have mentioend this before, but a few years ago we were driving up the M1 with my son's American then girlfriend (now wife), and as we passed the junctions for Leicester and Loughborough, I asked her to say the place names....

I can't be home in Frome, so I rent a room in Frome...

2 hours ago, Athy said:

It's not so much us who struggle - it's those poor foreigners trying to master our language.

For example there are, I think, eight different ways of pronouncing "ough" in English.

Even more confusing when you get different pronunciations of words spelt the same, thinking of Reading (the town) or reading (a book). Many years ago I picked up a couple of hitchhiker at M4 services who said they were on their way to 'Reeding', took me a little while to catch on:huh:

11 hours ago, Ianws said:

If you’ve not already seen this it’s worth a look https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghoti shows how bonkers our language/pronunciation can be.

Not bonkers, just the result of the many invaders over the centuries who brought their language when taking over the country, or part of it. Historically, we have not been very successful in keeping people out, or in restricting their influencing what are seen today as our traditions and language.

On 08/09/2020 at 14:10, Theo said:

By the way there was an article in the New Scientist about miscarriages a few weeks ago and the closing remark was to the effect that fine baby boy was delivered.  "No it wasn't" quoth I.  "The mother was delivered of a fine baby boy".  But then I am one of life's pedants.

Are you saying the second one is correct!? If so, please pass some wisdom on!

On 08/09/2020 at 11:57, Jim Riley said:

Of course Mark Twain would know. 

He would indeed!   Before writing drafts Samuel Clemens used to measure draughts.  The clue is in his name. 

Edited by bagginz
  • Greenie 2

On 09/09/2020 at 22:06, bagginz said:

He would indeed!   Before writing drafts Samuel Clemens used to measure draughts.  The clue is in his name. 

Glad there is a small patch of fertile soil in this barren land.