Earthquake near the Marsworth Reservoirs

Tanglewood

Featured Posts

I remember the tremor that happened just north of B.Stortford a few yoears ago. It was in the early hours. I was asleep and suddenly dreamt I was in the Crazy Cottage at the Southend on sea Kursal on the ''Cake Walk''. My bed must have been shimmering.

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

I remember the tremor that happened just north of B.Stortford a few yoears ago. It was in the early hours. I was asleep and suddenly dreamt I was in the Crazy Cottage at the Southend on sea Kursal on the ''Cake Walk''. My bed must have been shimmering.

First night of my first ever visit to Japan I had terrible jetlag, with this weird nightmare about the bed jumping up and down and trying to throw me out. At breakfast the following morning I found it was the biggest earthquake they'd had for several years, and thirty floors up the bed *had* been trying to throw me out...

Edited by IanD

One of the girls I used to work with was holidaying in New Zealand when they had their big earthquake in 2011.

She was driving when it occurred and stopped the car to see what was wrong with it. Only when she got out of the car did she realise that the shaking and vibrations were nothing to do with the car! ??

I recall one in that exact same area reported in the early 80s.

I heard about it because my Father was living at Aston Clinton at the time which is a few locks down the Aylesbury cut.

So if that's two in 40 years I guess it means, errr ....... summat. Yes you heard right.

3 hours ago, tree monkey said:

What scale of naff-all are you using, metric or imperial 

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

4/5ths must be imperial. Otherwise it would be 0.8 naff-alls or 8 centi-naff-alls

Since the Richter scale is logarithmic, "neither" is the correct answer, but since naff-all is zero, it is dimensionless anyway.

3.8 is 10% of 4.8, which is 10% of 5.8, which is 10% of 6.8, which is starting to feel like a real earthquake (ie when it is 1000 times bigger).

6 hours ago, IanD said:

First night of my first ever visit to Japan I had terrible jetlag, with this weird nightmare about the bed jumping up and down and trying to throw me out. At breakfast the following morning I found it was the biggest earthquake they'd had for several years, and thirty floors up the bed *had* been trying to throw me out...

Indeed. I lived in Tokyo for 10 years so used to experience them regularly.