What are these canal features?

jetzi

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, ivan&alice said:

On the Birmingham new main line there are a number of these islands that leave a narrow channel on either side. My best guess is that they are the remains of bridges.

These are why the BCN  New Main Line is sometimes called the Island Line.

N

Something has just occurred to me. How did the company officials get to their toll booth for their day's work? Were there swing bridges, or did they keep a plank on the bank? I hope they didn't have to jump across.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Something has just occurred to me. How did the company officials get to their toll booth for their day's work? Were there swing bridges, or did they keep a plank on the bank? I hope they didn't have to jump across.

Good point :)

Pole vaulting ?

There is one of those islands on the Paddington Arm. First time I saw it I thought it was a large boat coming towards me so I waited for it as it was taking the deep water channel...

2712306_02d99cbe.jpg

Was this a toll island as well? I thought it was a structural part of the aqueduct. 

As for getting to them presumably staff were dropped off by boat for their shift. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Athy said:

A small plank swing bridge. It is visible in some of the old photos.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Plank I believe, you can see it in this picture

21E7EB6D-637D-4B14-84F2-CE7456577387.jpeg

• Greenie 1

47 minutes ago, magnetman said:

There is one of those islands on the Paddington Arm. First time I saw it I thought it was a large boat coming towards me so I waited for it as it was taking the deep water channel...

2712306_02d99cbe.jpg

Was this a toll island as well? I thought it was a structural part of the aqueduct. 

That's the North Circular Road Aqueduct. It was replaced a few years ago as part of the North Circular widening. It is now actually two aqueducts side by side.

49 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Pole vaulting ?

2712306_02d99cbe.jpg

As for getting to them presumably staff were dropped off by boat for their shift. 

It is not a toll island.  I am reasonably sure that when the north circular road was widened, the aqueduct was reconstructed in two channels, such that one channel remained open for most of the time.  There may have been a period when it was closed to boat traffic, but the contractor had to crane boats around.

It was a marked success of waterways campaigning at the public inquiry that the Paddinton branch was not closed for the best part of a year - which was the highways preferred option.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Lift bridge ie, plank, They didn't need three handrails and a toe board in those days

54 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

Love the design of the brickwork and the fancy chimney pot. Even for utility building our ancestors took trouble unlike today’s tin sheds everywhere.

They probably realised that being surrounded by good looking functional objects makes life better and is likely to result in higher morale and productivity. 

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, BEngo said:

These are why the BCN  New Main Line is sometimes called the Island Line.

N

Whilst I like the idea of that, I think the term Island Line predates the BCN new main line, there was a suggestion to link what was then a branch down Spon Lane Locks to a Branch at Tipton Green (now closed and infilled) to save boats going a long way round - that is the first reference I've seen to "The Island Line", presumably in some way related to creating or being perceived to cross an island

6 hours ago, Athy said:

A short while back  prob on another thread I cannot recall a photo with a plank in place.

I see it has now been re posted 

Edited by Mike Todd
  • Greenie 1