Small PSA on Environment Agency Boat Registration.

Techy-Ben

Featured Posts

Just found out that the reason my boat registration has been delayed by 3 months is because, the link provided on the online forms was incorrect. So if you are trying to email in your boat registration to the Environment Agency, click the website link or type it in by hand. Do not click the link inside their PDF forms.

It might be a typo, autocorrect or using a strange font, but it does not go through, and also does not give a failed attempt response either.

I could have found out earlier if they had not lied and said "yes we have it here, and will process it" when I first called them. Also if they did not use ambiguous characters or symbols in their email addresses, as who here can tell the difference between these to email addresses? (There is one, and it's super hard to detect it!)

A short dash "boatreg@environment‐agency.gov.uk" and a full dash "boatreg@environment-agency.gov.uk".

Yep, most email clients, web pages etc all show them as identical. But copy/paste into notepad and they are very different. :( :banghead:

I have emailed them to ask them to correct it, but no idea if they will.

Edited by Techy-Ben
  • Greenie 1

Whilst the staff at E.A are "working from home" you may as well pi** in the wind.

After things eased, we decided the Thames would be nice so went to Oxford and into Osney Lock. Told the lockie I needed a licence. He can' issue one because he can't handle cash or a cheque (COVID). Can't pay on card because I would have to handle the card machine as the amount is above the contactless limit. He hands me a printed slip of paper with a phone number. I ring it and it's only the EA general enquiry line. He gives me another number for the licensing department. He can't transfer me because he's "working from home" (WFH). I ring it and yes it's the navigation department, Ring this number,; can't transfer me WFH. So I ring it and get through to the licensing department. Give the boat details, yes I'm told' your licence will be £210.00, but I can't issue it I've not been trained. Can I speak to someone who can? No WFH, ring back tomorrow on this number. I asked what would happen if I got someone else who wasn't trained. Can you get someone to ring me? The answer was no because they did not have the direct numbers, WFH. I eventually got someone who could take my money, but no licence. keep it on your phone to show if asked. I wish I'd never bothered as I wasn't asked about it at any locks for over 3 weeks. I could have saved the money.

Just a thought, If i want to buy anything from someone who needs my money to stay in business like Amazon, Ebay, Aldi, take your pick, with one phone call or click it's done.

• Greenie 1

PSA?

Prostate Specific Antigen is probably of interest to some of the older male members here, but in my younger working days it stood for the Property Services Agency, the organisation which was responsible for managing government-owned buildings.

And does your user name have a long or a short dash?

Edited by David Mack

I emailed the EA on the link on their website and had no trouble getting a registration number for a new boat. A wait due to Covid but not too long. They even joked about the licence fee. I was happy with their service.

Thanks for the info. I don't need to contact them but more knowledge is always useful and helps people to avoid tearing their hair out. Recently been phoning ferry companies, telecoms companies and loads more and totally fed up with ' You're call is valuable to us, you are no. 500 in the queue, we are axperiencing a heavy volume of calls  and beeeeeeeep. Also fed up with The rites of bloody spring played over a half inch speaker. There . I feel better now.

48 minutes ago, Bee said:

Thanks for the info. I don't need to contact them but more knowledge is always useful and helps people to avoid tearing their hair out. Recently been phoning ferry companies, telecoms companies and loads more and totally fed up with ' You're call is valuable to us, you are no. 500 in the queue, we are axperiencing a heavy volume of calls  and beeeeeeeep. Also fed up with The rites of bloody spring played over a half inch speaker. There . I feel better now.

Ah, the usual euphemism for "we really can't be bothered to employ enough staff at busy times" 

On 08/09/2020 at 12:35, pearley said:

I emailed the EA on the link on their website and had no trouble getting a registration number for a new boat. A wait due to Covid but not too long. They even joked about the licence fee. I was happy with their service.

Yep. The website has the correct link. But their forms have a typo. So if you download the form and click the email from in there then it will never reach them.

On 08/09/2020 at 10:15, David Mack said:

PSA?

Prostate Specific Antigen is probably of interest to some of the older male members here, but in my younger working days it stood for the Property Services Agency, the organisation which was responsible for managing government-owned buildings.

And does your user name have a long or a short dash?

Public service announcement or similar. My name? No idea. Whatever is on the keyboard. But as I'm not taking import registrations or payments I don't mind if no one can get hold of me. If they want me to pay then even better if they cannot! Oh, but if anyone wants to pay me...