Why is the virtual pub now only available to members?

Featured Posts

I seem to recall from other forums that this is the norm. The pub is usually restricted entry, though I've personally never seen the point, unless it's to encourage people to sign up. Sometimes it's an unmoderated bit, which could be the reason, but that doesn't apply to us.

5 hours ago, StationMaster said:

Just curious to know the answer. Doesn't really matter unless it becomes a trend to move more content towards 'member only'.

It's the same on other forums(weather and football) that I use, if I dont sign in, I cant see quite a lot of content.

I thought the reason was because that is where the vast majority of the controversial posts were argued out. Some members didn't want to see the thread titles and/or didn't want the temptation to look at the argumentative threads. So it was made a members only place which means that you would need so mant posts before you could view the content and the thread title wasn't shown on the main page unless you were logged in. Make of that what you will. As said it all seems a bit pointless but there ya go.

15 minutes ago, pete.i said:

I thought the reason was because that is where the vast majority of the controversial posts were argued out. Some members didn't want to see the thread titles and/or didn't want the temptation to look at the argumentative threads. So it was made a members only place which means that you would need so mant posts before you could view the content and the thread title wasn't shown on the main page unless you were logged in. Make of that what you will. As said it all seems a bit pointless but there ya go.

Surely that was why the "Political and Current Affairs" forum was excluded from "View New Content" But as a member, you can get everything else in Virtual Pub through VNC.

35 minutes ago, Maryonboard said:

What is the virtual pub?

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/forum/16-the-virtual-pub/

According to the text on that page there is a subsection of the VP which is members only, but the rest should be visible to members and non members alike. For the members only section it says:

"Members only area

This small area is available to signed-members only for promotion of closed social events and other non public discussions. Non-members can see topic titles but not content."

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, David Mack said:

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/forum/16-the-virtual-pub/

According to the text on that page there is a subsection of the VP which is members only, but the rest should be visible to members and non members alike. For the members only section it says:

"Members only area

This small area is available to signed-members only for promotion of closed social events and other non public discussions. Non-members can see topic titles but not content."

If I remember right it was set up to allow the organising of a Teams banter

3 hours ago, tree monkey said:

If I remember right it was set up to allow the organising of a Teams banter

That was the case, but things changed more recently than that change (which whilst I felt the reason was wrong because anyone can become a member, I understood the reason and accepted it as it was explained at the time).

The VP has only very recently become for members only and no explanation, hence the query.

3 hours ago, StationMaster said:

That was the case, but things changed more recently than that change (which whilst I felt the reason was wrong because anyone can become a member, I understood the reason and accepted it as it was explained at the time).

The VP has only very recently become for members only and no explanation, hence the query.

Possibly the same reason, to avoid scaring the horses or the casual browser. The latter would only really be interested in the general or advice section. The pub, as in the real world, can sometimes be an unpleasant place and it's fair to assume that once joined as a member, you're tough enough to cope! It's still on the VNC, unlike the political bit, which I'm very pleased is not.

It's not exactly hard to sign up, should one want full access.

Edited by Arthur Marshall