New LPG suitcase generator issue

Tessy

Featured Posts

I have just purchased this dual fuel generator:

https://www.championpowerequipment.co.uk/products/Champion-Inverter-Generators/Champion-20000-Watt-Inverter-Generator-Dual-Fuel-82001i-E-DF

I have tried to start it for the first time using LPG only. It will not start. I have noticed that, although the LPG gas bottle is full, nothing comes out of the other end of the hose (the generator end) when it is not clicked into the generator. I do not think that the hose mechanism is  sophisticated enough to prevent the flow of gas when not connected to the unit. I suppose the two regulators on the hose do not prevent this either? Am I right in thinking the hose is somehow blocked? 

Any help is much appreciated!  Pictures of hose attached. 

IMG_20200906_181143709.jpg

IMG_20200906_181200169.jpg

IMG_20200906_181229308.jpg

3 hours ago, Tessy said:

It will not start.

Is the oil level absolutely up to the filler? Try tipping the genny backwards slightly to get just a little more oil in. The automatic oil level cutouts on gennies are very sensitive. Ensure it’s sitting on level ground too, for the same reason. 

14 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Silly question but does this need to be started on diesel and then switched over to LPG, my mate had to do this with his car as it wouldn't start on LPG?

I doubt that a diesel Genny would run on LPG and the Link given goes to a dual-fuel (petrol & LPG) Chinese suitcase generator

The Champion Power Equipment 82001i-E-DF-EU 2000-Watt Dual Fuel Portable Inverter Generator is designed in suitcase style with a unique patented easy changeover switch it's capable of operating on LPG or petrol. 

The features list states it will start on gas, plus it reinforces my point about low oil level. 

Dual Fuel - Operate your 2000-watt portable generator right out of the box on either petrol or propane, plus the unit holds 378ml of oil (recommended 10W-30) and has a low oil shut-off sensor.

When I had our LPG honda generator serviced, the starting advice was only to use the flood button for only 2-3 seconds.  The effect apparently is similar to the old fashioned "choke" on a car engine, it's possible to over gas the engine, which needs to be pulled over several times to clear the excess.

Certainly works for us, along with new oil, which does have to be to the point of overfull, and a new spark plug.

Bod

• 2 months later...

The larger " regulator" needs to be vertical  using the included black plastic clip mechanism.

You'll also need access to the priming hole for every start so I drilled a small hole in mine.

The choke setting isn't best aligned and needs to be closer to, just before the 9 o'clock position. 

Don't forget it's a maximum of 1440w on LPG