Victron Multiplus settings and starter charging

cairanvanrooyen

Featured Posts

Hi,

So I recently installed 1 x Victron MultiPlus 1600VA, 12V Inverter Charger - 1.3kW and 5 x Multicell SFL120 batteries

My old installation had a Sterling battery charger and separate inverter. The Sterling charger had two outputs, one for leisure and one for starter. The new inverter/charger only has a single output and another which I cant see how to access.

Questions:

1. Is it possible to charge the starter battery using the Multiplus? There is this wiring diagram, which seems to suggest connection G connected to the starter battery, however, when you look at the photos, it is not clear how to access this connection and how to connect the battery to this terminal - does anyone have experience with this?

2. The Multiplus has a number of possible settings for batteries, namely, 3 dip switches on the bottom, however the manual is not clear on what settings I should use for my batteries - any advice would be appreciated.

For most users who cruise even a bit, the starter battery is used very briefly as it starts the boat and is then recharged pretty quickly and fully by the alternator on most/every occasion. Isolated on leaving the boat, it will then sit for days, weeks or even months with little drama. I have a Ctek charge indicator/connector on mine and could charge it with my little Ctek charger if it ever stopped flashing green. As my solar is only connected to my domestic bank, when left without charger connected for months under Covid lock-down it was still showing green and started the engine with no less vigour than usual.  Of course, the engine was now running, so it was then fully recharged by the alternator.  Frankly, I'd not waste too much time on trying to connect it to the inverter/charger unless you leave the boat for very long periods or have another good reason to charge it frequently from the mains.

6 minutes ago, WotEver said:

The manual states that it has a 1A charger output for the starter battery.

In which case, it doesn't have just the single output he found and he'll now need to waste very little time connecting it as designed, so worth doing. Good find. :)

Thanks all. Found a very small spade connector hidden in the middle of the Multiplus, which is the charging connection for the starter battery.

Setting one on the Multiplus gives an absorption voltage of 14.4V, float 13.8V and storage of 13.2V - where would i determine that this setting is suitable? The manufacturers provided no technical literature on their website.

55 minutes ago, cairanvanrooyen said:

Thanks all. Found a very small spade connector hidden in the middle of the Multiplus, which is the charging connection for the starter battery.

Setting one on the Multiplus gives an absorption voltage of 14.4V, float 13.8V and storage of 13.2V - where would i determine that this setting is suitable? The manufacturers provided no technical literature on their website.

Those are  pretty much standard settings for a flooded Lead Acid battery, which is what your Multicells SFL are, according to your link.

My yuasas are the same, except that they will absorb at up to 14.6 V.

N

• 3 weeks later...

My first starter battery lasted ten years without being connected to the Victron multi spade connection. This was in a marina most of the winter, so sometimes months between engine starts. The replacement battery has since been connected to the Victron starter battery charger outlet, but it isn't really needed.

Jen

45 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

My first starter battery lasted ten years without being connected to the Victron multi spade connection. This was in a marina most of the winter, so sometimes months between engine starts. The replacement battery has since been connected to the Victron starter battery charger outlet, but it isn't really needed.

Jen

The starter I finally had to replace during lockdown May had a date of 2003 on it. I probably killed it myself by linking it to the domestic bank over the winter whilst on a landline rather than leave it be.

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

The starter I finally had to replace during lockdown May had a date of 2003 on it. I probably killed it myself by linking it to the domestic bank over the winter whilst on a landline rather than leave it be.

I just had to change the original fitment battery on my 2007 S-Type, but only because the alternator failed; so starter batteries, even on cars, can last an awful long time.