Reasonable price for a used 60ft Braidbar?

helmsman

Featured Posts

Hi all. Looking for some kind of reality check before I let heart over-rule head and pay over the odds for a boat I really rather like the look of but feel is a little over priced at approaching £80k.

Any thoughts on what I should expect to pay for a 2008 60ft Braidbar boat built on a Tim Tyler shell?

TIA.

26 minutes ago, helmsman said:

Hi all. Looking for some kind of reality check before I let heart over-rule head and pay over the odds for a boat I really rather like the look of but feel is a little over priced at approaching £80k.

Any thoughts on what I should expect to pay for a 2008 60ft Braidbar boat built on a Tim Tyler shell?

TIA.

That does seem a lot for a 12 year old boat, even if it is by one of the best boat builders but as Old Goat said, it depends on condition etc.

haggis

Even a 12 year old boat can have problems - the hull can corrode away inside 18 months if there are loose electrical worms about, it may not have been blacked, had engine serviced etc etc.

I bought a 2 year old boat that was 'sunk-recovered' that needed a lot of work done to the 'mechanicals', starter motor, alternator etc.

So really the answer is it overpriced is a choice of Yes / No / Maybe.

39 minutes ago, helmsman said:

TIA.

It really depends on the spec. As new it would probably have cost somewhere between 100 and 140k. Obviously if it were the bottom end it is a bit over, but if the top end, probably in the right ball park depending on condition.

Edited by Phil.

If you have got almost £80k to spend on a boat, a couple of ways to help settle your mind, and give some reassurance:

What else could you get for similar money, and would it be as good, or better?

Have a look at a few £50k to £60k boats, (even £70k), and see if anything compares.

You could probably do this quite quickly online.

Depends on spec as sagely said above. What's the engine?

On board integrated genny?

What's the main kit?

How's the paint outside?

Tyler do a range of shells with some having added bells and whistles.

Braidbar fit outs are higher end of quality.

Most Braidbar owners appear to take good care of their botes from observation.

Link to advert?

Edited by mark99

As others have said how long is the piece of string. The hull IS the boat, so you are paying 80k for a 12 year old Tyler shell. You will be able to buy other 12 year old boats on Tyler shells for much less so you have to ask what price for the fit out and general overall condition???????

49 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

If it is what you want but you don't think it is worth the asking price then all you can do is make an offer of what you are happy to pay, if that isn't accepted then you have a choice, pay more or don't buy it.

Except that he doesn't know if it's worth the asking price - hence the question.

My perception is that he likes the boat, a lot, and is happy to pay the price if it's reasonable, given the market.

You also have to consider that the STARTING price for a Braidbar was £160K 12 months ago with a 3 year waiting list.

We paid £45K for our 20 year old boat 5 years ago which was the price it was sold for when new. We haven't regretted it. 

If you've got the spare cash go for it.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, helmsman said:

TIA.

I am helping a couple, with a similar budget to yours, source a boat they have looked at several - looked at one yesterday that had JUST been advertised, went home to think about it, phoned the broker this morning to put down a deposit and it had sold yesterday afternoon.

If the boat is worth its money it won't be there when you have had a few days thinking about or waiting for reassurance from the forum. If it meets your requirements and it within your budget get a deposit on it.

The way the market is moving, you don't pay too much, but are maybe paying next months price.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 2

31 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Except that he doesn't know if it's worth the asking price - hence the question.

My perception is that he likes the boat, a lot, and is happy to pay the price if it's reasonable, given the market.

My point is it is worth what he is willing to pay for it, if he doesn't think it is worth £80k then that's that. I might look at it and think it is only worth £60k because the fit out might not be to my liking and therefore may think it needs £20k to modify it so surely price is a bit personal.

When we bought our boat we looked at lots in a similar price bracket, the one we purchased ticked the most boxes so therefore was worth to us what we offered for it.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I am helping a couple, with a similar budget to yours, source a boat they have looked at several - looked at one yesterday that had JUST been advertised, went home to think about it, phoned the broker this morning to put down a deposit and it had sold yesterday afternoon.

If the boat is worth its money it won't be there when you have had a few days thinking about or waiting for reassurance from the forum. If it meets your requirements and it within your budget get a deposit on it.

The way the market is moving, you don't pay too much, but are maybe paying next months price.

I agree. A year ago maybe £60k was the price but now it's £80K. The market has gone made with boats selling very quickly. There is also a shortage of boats in the £60k+ range so no wonder they are going quick.

If you have the money and it's a good boat then buy it subject to survey.

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Even a 12 year old boat can have problems - the hull can corrode away inside 18 months if there are loose electrical worms about, it may not have been blacked, had engine serviced etc etc.

I bought a 2 year old boat that was 'sunk-recovered' that needed a lot of work done to the 'mechanicals', starter motor, alternator etc.

So really the answer is it overpriced is a choice of Yes / No / Maybe.

I know absolutely nothing about Braidbar narrowboats but I recently had my boat surveyed for insurance purposes . Whilst discussing with the surveyor the merits of blacking the base plate he commented that he had surveyed a Braidbar boat that had huge pits on the base plate , 5 -6 mm I believe he said ,needless to say that base plate hadn't been blacked  . As Alan has mentioned those pits  could be have caused by other factors but the surveyor mentioned the boat had cost over £100,000 when new . I forget how old he said the boat was but it was certainly less than 12 years.

6 hours ago, mark99 said:

Rugby Boats have a webpage with an archive of sold  boats north of 75k if you want to get a feel?

I think Rugby Boats are very optimistic with their prices, we went to look at one up for £60k just after lockdown, in our opinion it was worth more like £40-45k so we didn’t place an offer as we doubted they’d drop that much.

problem is it never says what the boats actually sold for, only what they were offered at.

5 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

I think Rugby Boats are very optimistic with their prices, we went to look at one up for £60k just after lockdown, in our opinion it was worth more like £40-45k so we didn’t place an offer as we doubted they’d drop that much.

problem is it never says what the boats actually sold for, only what they were offered at.

Realistic, most boats are selling within 24 hours of listing from what I've seen, quite a few without the buyer actually viewing the boat in person. Asking price or thereabouts is usual for such quick sales. 

The only boat(s) that seem to be overpriced are because the owner dictates the price(sometimes against broker advice), so the boat sits there for a while before the owner has to get real and drop to an agreed sensible price.

• Greenie 2

Thanks to all respondents so far.

The boat isn't (based on what I have seen) a top end "money no object" Braidbar fit-out but it is a nice standard layout boat with few frills. Probably slightly over-priced to my mind and for less money there are a number of similar boats for sale on the usual brokerages. Are those other boats "as good"? To the casual observer, probably, but I can see the relative quality and the Braidbar boat is undoubtedly a better quality fit-out and has been well looked after based on the history I have seen.

I'm leaning towards this boat but just mulling over where to pitch an opening bid.

15 minutes ago, helmsman said:

mulling over where to pitch an opening bid.

Slightly below the maximum you're prepared to pay.  If they accept it, great.  If they don't, you can go up a bit.  If they still don't accept it then you can move on.

• Greenie 1

44 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Realistic, most boats are selling within 24 hours of listing from what I've seen, quite a few without the buyer actually viewing the boat in person. Asking price or thereabouts is usual for such quick sales. 

The only boat(s) that seem to be overpriced are because the owner dictates the price(sometimes against broker advice), so the boat sits there for a while before the owner has to get real and drop to an agreed sensible price.

I quite liked the boat Yarwood in there. Seemed actually a good price.

Edited by mark99

1 hour ago, helmsman said:

I'm leaning towards this boat but just mulling over where to pitch an opening bid.

I bought my 2007 Kingsground boat (very similar fitout standard to Braidbar but on an Alexander ot Reeves hull) six and a half years ago, we were tne first to see it and decided it was better than anything we had seen up to that point.

I offered 10% less than the asking price and it was immediately rejected.

I then offered 7% less which was accepted. The survey revealed the charger part of the combi inverter/charger was not working, so I reduced the offer back down to 10% and the seller agreed.

Bottom line is if your offer is rejected, you can always increase it.

Edited by cuthound
Clarification