Towpath talk forum

Tiboo

Featured Posts

Hi! 

Someone on the London boaters fb group noted that it's funny to hear people talking on the towpath, often not being aware that boaters can hear them. The topic got quite some attention (70 likes at the time I read it) and someone suggested the idea of creating a place to share some funny or interesting passer-by quotes (in my words here), so I thought, that could be maybe a nice forum on canalworld... I think it would be good to have it as a separate forum so that they're nicely combined and can be read through... What do you think?

Edited by Njiruk

I find it is the opposite. People on the towpath can clearly hear boaters, but boaters struggle to hear what people on the towpath are saying because the engine is running.

Perhaps it is different in London because the boats don't move as frequently?

48 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I find it is the opposite. People on the towpath can clearly hear boaters, but boaters struggle to hear what people on the towpath are saying because the engine is running.

I wondered if you heard me saying "He must still be in bed." as we crept passed you at 8:15 this morning.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Oh, yes, while cruising it probably must be opposite indeed! It's more while being moored I guess. If it's much more of a London thing, I could propose it on the londonboaters.org website, but I thought it would be a more largely recognised phenomenon...

We had a cracker the other day, about 7.30am a small group of fishermen who had found a narrowboat (us) moored in the middle of where they were expecting to set up for a Sunday fishing match discussing between each other and on the phone to presumably the organiser.

"Yes, there is a boat in our the way" 

"It's in the MIDDLE of the canal"

"Yes, it is tied to the bank, but it's in the middle"

"I know, I don't know why"

"Its near my pitch, but right over Dave's"

"No I don't know what to do, but we can't fish here"

Got up and dressed to went to had a chat, which they appreciated significantly. Turns out we were moored 'between' spot 3 and 4 of something like 75, having moored at towards dusk and slightly abruptly with mild engine (boiler feed pump) trouble, we has pulled back 6ft to avoid being on 4 but not seen no3, and because we are deep drafted where a good 3-4ft away from the bank as often the case.. Offered to bow-haul back back to before 1, which for some reason was declined, they were more keen on making sure we were against the bank, not happening! So they moved 1/2/3/4/5 to clear us and we just had 71 to boat past at 65ft spacing first thing in the morning.

Obviously they can fish, presumably set up the markers the day before, and presumably can't suspended moorings but there was about 2miles, four bridges where you couldnt moor all day. Never thought about it before having along come across it while under way. 

On 05/09/2020 at 15:04, Njiruk said:

Someone on the London boaters fb group noted that it's funny to hear people talking on the towpath, often not being aware that boaters can hear them. ... someone suggested the idea of creating a place to share some funny or interesting passer-by quotes..... What do you think?

I think it is a good idea, but I am also aware that having a very large number sub-forum areas has as many problems and advantages.

Perhaps we can run it as a thread and see how that goes?

Daniel

6 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Oriental lady, on our front deck, " Can I come in and try this dress on?"

Some years ago, friends of ours were moored up on the towpath when a model and photographer turned up asking if they could model wedding dresses with her standing in the front well deck.

• 1 month later...

"They must chuck their poo under the bushes".

My favourite one was a bloke telling his wife forget it you cannot stand up in narrowboats. So I went to the open engine hatch and said hello when they walked past. He never looked me in the eye.

Edited by mark99
  • Haha 1

On 07/09/2020 at 13:46, David Mack said:

Some years ago, friends of ours were moored up on the towpath when a model and photographer turned up asking if they could model wedding dresses with her standing in the front well deck.

I think this must happen quite often.  This is not a modelling session though, but a real wedding pic.  I've no idea who they were.

Wedding boat.jpg

• Greenie 1

Braunston bottom lock.
Helm of boat 1 to helm of boat 2
"Would you like to go into the lock first as I have a 13mm base plate and my boat is more difficult to handle."

Helm 2 (quiscale) "okay."

Wife of boat 2 to wife of boat 1 whilst opening the paddles.
"Does he ever let you steer?"

Wife of boat 1 to wife of boat 2

"I wouldn't want to steer his boat in case I scratch the Bloody thing."

Edited by Ray T

The wedding thing. We live close to the Waterfront moorings at Merry Hill. Some time ago we had Resolute on the moorings. On the day in question, we’d walked to the shopping centre. On the way back, crossing the bridge by the adjacent Copthorne Hotel, I noticed a swarm of people both on and around the boat. I was about to remonstrate and tell them to go forth when I spotted a bridal gown. The wedding party was from the Copthorne, the photographer using the boat as a back cloth for pictures. I didn’t ask for a retainer.....

7 hours ago, Ray T said:

quiscale

quiscale

Noun[edit]

quiscale m (plural quiscales)

1. grackle

Noun[edit]

grackle (plural grackles)

1. Any of several American blackbirds of the genus Quiscalus, and related genera, having iridescent plumage.
  2. (formerly) Any of several Asian myna birds of the genus Gracula.

Sorry Ray I'm none the wiser.