The Black Dot

Featured Posts

Previously, if I wanted to go to the last read post in a thread, I clicked on the black dot to the left, and if I wanted to go to the beginning of the thread, I clicked on the title.  Now for some time clicking on the title also takes me to the last read post, not the beginning.  Is there some setting to return to the previous arrangement, or is this now a permanent feature?

There is a setting in the filter that is applied to the view that takes you to the first post or the first unread post. I use a custom filter where I have chosen the first unread post, maybe the default view is set the same now.

There is a setting in the filter that is applied to the view that takes you to the first post or the first unread post. I use a custom filter where I have chosen the first unread post, maybe the default view is set the same now.

Screenshot_20200905-143631.png.50f78ce72522b5b8a0fe037678188605.png

Thank you for that.  I changed to "Unread item links take me to the top of the page"   and it's gone back to what it used to do.  But the choice offered there is very misleading.  There is no top of page involved - it's either first unread post or the beginning of the thread, however long.  

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Its very customisable, both to the global settings and to the users, which is in many ways very. However, at times, makes changes all to easy!

Glad you have got it sorted.

But yes, with the right settings, the title takes you to the start, and the dot (or star if you have posted in the thread before) takes you to the last unread section.

Either way, be grateful this is isnt Pistonheads, the system they have is:

- If you have never read the thread before, the link takes you to the last unread post.

- If you have read the thread before, the link takes you to to the first page of the thread.

- There are no 'skip to the end' of thread buttons either, just the next page or next five pages.

This is, like a lot of other issues on the site, well known, and documented, but nothing is done. Images have to uploaded one at a time via 3rd party popup, are only shown in small res and until recently where (as the site still says they are) limited to 2mb. Chunks of the site dont work on the 'mobile version' and nobody cares!

Daniel