what does No 1 mean

deckhand

Featured Posts

59 minutes ago, WotEver said:

With a name like Schweizer it's hardly difficult, David.

It took a long time, but you got there eventually, but I often wonder how many people make the connection. The Spelling (without a "t") is the main clue. It doesn't happen much these days, but  used tio be asked frequently whether I was related to Albert Schweitzer, who was Austrian. My family are Swiiss from the Emmental, and we still have a family farm there.

Edited by David Schweizer

16 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

It took a long time, but you got there eventually...

Not really. I’ve known for years since when you first told the story. Hence the joke 9 hours ago about the spelling. 

• Haha 2

I own a boat called Pathfinder No. 2.

That's because the first owners first boat was called Pathfinder.

The original owner when he sold Pathfinder 2 then commissioned another boat which he called Pathfinder 3.

Out of interest Pathfinder is a nod to his family (father iirc) who was a member of the famous elite WW2 squadron.

• 3 weeks later...

It was common for boat hire companies to give different boats of the same class the same basic name but with different numbers. The boat we hired on the Thames for my first holday afloat in the 1970's was "Gay Fantasy 4". 

Edited by Ronaldo47
Delete duplicated text

19 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

It was common for boat hire companies to give different boats of the same class the same basic name but with different numbers. The boat we hired on the Thames for my first holday afloat in the 1970's was "Gay Fantasy 4". 

Thames registration requires that each boat based there has a unique name. So number suffixes are quite common, especially among the fleets.

On 04/09/2020 at 20:27, PD1964 said:

Some builders put numbers on like Louis & Joshua running in sequence for the boats they built. I think the last one they built was around No 150??? (Someone on here might know the exact No)

There is a Jonathan Wilson “No1 Embrace” which they say was the first complete boat he built, hence the No1.

I think most newer boats the numbers are just for show or maybe have some relevance to the owner maybe a birthday??

Louis & Joshua was on number 101 when the owner Mike Lewis died and the firm closed. They had also done re-fits etc on barges such as Sobriety.  

Over in the Netherlands a star on the bow denotes that the craft is free of any finance, so being a bit of a nerd i put some on.

1601127952884-13175952.jpg

When Dave Moore lettered our boat he painted: the FMC Fleet number, the GU gauging number, the BCN gauging number, The Waterman's Company number, the health registration number and finally the BW number. ? 

Then he did them all over again on the other side.