what does No 1 mean

deckhand

Featured Posts

Some builders put numbers on like Louis & Joshua running in sequence for the boats they built. I think the last one they built was around No 150??? (Someone on here might know the exact No)

There is a Jonathan Wilson “No1 Embrace” which they say was the first complete boat he built, hence the No1.

I think most newer boats the numbers are just for show or maybe have some relevance to the owner maybe a birthday??

Edited by PD1964

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Some owners paint what number of boat ownership it is for them. So number 1 on their first boat, number 2 on their second etc etc.

so it doesnt necessarily form part of the name. We will be painting the outside in spring and are not looking at painting the number back on.  keeping the name, will just omit the number.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, deckhand said:

so it doesnt necessarily form part of the name. We will be painting the outside in spring and are not looking at painting the number back on.  keeping the name, will just omit the number.

Its your boat and if it has no real personal significance to you just lose it. I think like Ray said its a bit of a nod back to working boat days. A bit 'fake' really.

3 minutes ago, deckhand said:

Put your own number on, Birthday, Anniversary, children’s birthday, lucky/unlucky number and keep people guessing like yourself?

As a working signwriter, I’ve often painted “ No XX” on the cabin side of many boats. Often, these days, it refers to the number of the boat owned, be it first, second etc. As has already been mentioned, Number Ones in working days were owner boatmen, to distinguish those who worked for others. As the boat is the personal property of the owner, I’ve been asked many times to paint just that. Until a few years ago I shared a boat with Graham Edgson of Norton Canes Boatbuilders. I painted the name, Resolute, in an arc in the smaller engine room panel, and No 20 below. Why 20? We both lived in houses with that number.

• Greenie 3

12 hours ago, dave moore said:

As a working signwriter, I’ve often painted “ No XX” on the cabin side of many boats. Often, these days, it refers to the number of the boat owned, be it first, second etc. As has already been mentioned, Number Ones in working days were owner boatmen, to distinguish those who worked for others. As the boat is the personal property of the owner, I’ve been asked many times to paint just that. Until a few years ago I shared a boat with Graham Edgson of Norton Canes Boatbuilders. I painted the name, Resolute, in an arc in the smaller engine room panel, and No 20 below. Why 20? We both lived in houses with that number.

And you painted No.20 on our boat :-1740260263_EXT017.JPG.4d052a0fbfb571039bf75c5950141a79.JPG

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, WotEver said:

It was a joke, David, hence the big smiley face. 

And some fell on stony ground...

If I had a pound for every person who made that joke, I would be a rich man. It is compounded by the impression that most people seem to not understand the difference between Helvetia and Helvetica.

4 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

If I had a pound for every person who made that joke, I would be a rich man. It is compounded by the impression that most people seem to not understand the difference between Helvetia and Helvetica.

One's a land-locked country and the other is a boring typeface.

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

I figured it was either because you were advertising a large insurance company or one of the family were Swiss. 

Certainly nothing to do with the first suggestion. The second is correct but a bit vague, the connection is far more direct.