Looking to help

Grangersboatsworks

Featured Posts

Hello everyone, I’m G 

im build and renovate boats and have done so for 14 years now. I do 5/6 a year and sell them on or do them for clients. It’s just me and it’s hard work some times. 

I’ve just decided that I should really be teaching the skills I’ve learned over the years to the next lot of canal lovers like me. the only problem is it takes much longer to teach. So I’m looking for a little bit of mutual help. 

I don’t make a huge profit so slowing down the work I’m already doing by teaching on a boat would mean I’m out of pocket day one. but I was thinking if someone out there has a project they would like help with where I fully take over and do all the work onboard with the students, I could do that for free including materials if you was willing to lend us your boat to do the work on, we would most likely move it closer to my self in Yorkshire area. 

I have some funding from community grants etc so wouldn’t leave me out of pocket and would mean you can have your boat renovated for free. I think it could be a great trade. It would be fully insured and although most likely take about 8/12 months could be good for both of us. 

if anyone thinks they can help then please just message it will be great to chat 

thank you

22 minutes ago, Grangersboatsworks said:

Hello everyone, I’m G 

im build and renovate boats and have done so for 14 years now. I do 5/6 a year and sell them on or do them for clients. It’s just me and it’s hard work some times. 

I’ve just decided that I should really be teaching the skills I’ve learned over the years to the next lot of canal lovers like me. the only problem is it takes much longer to teach. So I’m looking for a little bit of mutual help. 

I don’t make a huge profit so slowing down the work I’m already doing by teaching on a boat would mean I’m out of pocket day one. but I was thinking if someone out there has a project they would like help with where I fully take over and do all the work onboard with the students, I could do that for free including materials if you was willing to lend us your boat to do the work on, we would most likely move it closer to my self in Yorkshire area. 

I have some funding from community grants etc so wouldn’t leave me out of pocket and would mean you can have your boat renovated for free. I think it could be a great trade. It would be fully insured and although most likely take about 8/12 months could be good for both of us. 

if anyone thinks they can help then please just message it will be great to chat 

thank you

Er- who will provide the liability insurance?

If the students are paying then the status of the boat and attendant requirements may/will get a lot more complicated to do it officially. I know because I looked into a roving canal boat cum classroom for the courses I once ran.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Hi Tony, liability insurance will be covered by me, it’s already in place. The students won’t be paying anything. An architectural practice I’ve done a few things with previously have offered to fund everything. It’s something I’ve been trying to get together for a few years now. Ideally I’d buy a boat to teach them the skills on and renovate with them but the cost just stops that idea so if I can help someone at the same time as save money then great. 

12 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I would strongly advise you to talk to CaRT. Unless the boat is ashore then I can see CaRT requiring a business license and/or a hire boat one if you are going to invite members of the public aboard.

I’ve already checked with CRT, I have a good working relationship with them, the boat would be in the water until we do 8 weeks on blackening, paining etc. We wouldn’t require a business licence or hire boat licence. We just have the usual requirement and restrictions on working aboard a boat, disposal of waste etc. Thank you really appreciate the advice 

• 2 weeks later...

If you post is as it purports to be, then clearly all the best with your endeavours! 

However I would certainly urge anyone thinking of embarking on such an exchange to make sure that they take great care at ensuring they have done a reasonable background check, and have worked out the details of who is paying for and or becomes owner of what, when, and that there is a robust contract in place between all parties.

Daniel

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/09/2020 at 12:58, DHutch said:

If you post is as it purports to be, then clearly all the best with your endeavours! 

However I would certainly urge anyone thinking of embarking on such an exchange to make sure that they take great care at ensuring they have done a reasonable background check, and have worked out the details of who is paying for and or becomes owner of what, when, and that there is a robust contract in place between all parties.

Danie;

This is an incredibly important point. I did.