How much would a 'start all over' interior refit cost?

Featured Posts

Our 58' semi-trad got sadly caught out in divorce proceedings and so sat unloved for some years unused and has deteriorated. However, I do want to get her back on the cut properly but the interior condition is quite poor. The hull is sound (as is the relatively new engine and gearbox) and will be grit-blasted shortly.

My questions for all you knowledgable folk are......

....what would be a ball-park figure for stripping out the interior and starting again inside....to a summer holiday cruising quality not upmarket live aboard. Think one or two notches above cheap and cheerful. Excluding fridge, cooker, toilet, heating....just ceiling, flooring, six berth (two singles, dinette double, fixed double)?

I appreciate that this is a 'how long is a piece of string' question to most, but I suspect there are some here who know enough about boat fitting to give a broad estimate. 

Im nowhere nearly skilled enough to do much work myself, so it would need to be done by an individual fitter or a yard.

This boat has great memories for the family and both "sides" are keen to create new memories so we are all reluctant to get rid of it and we feel it can be restored for that.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks, so far.

There isn't much free labour available and the boat is not close to where we live (south coast) or work (Africa). The cost of stripping out stuff is well made and so I will factor that in. But I'm trying to estimate (even extremely roughly) the kind of cost for a boatfitter to put in a new interior.

The 6 berth is really to have space for two sets of couples...grandparents, friends...rather than a source of labour realisticly.

Many years ago (15 +) a NB that we bought had just had some work done converting the 'backend' bedroom and Bathroom, the yard had charged £50 per hour + VAT (so £60 per hour) the cost of taking out the old bed, building a new bed, building a wardrobe to take two-folding bikes, removing pump out tank, replacing toilet with a cassette system, moving bathroom wall and 'making good' was £11,000

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Many years ago (15 +) a NB that we bought had just had some work done converting the 'backend' bedroom and Bathroom, the yard had charged £50 per hour + VAT (so £60 per hour) the cost of taking out the old bed, building a new bed, building a wardrobe to take two-folding bikes, removing pump out tank, replacing toilet with a cassette system, moving bathroom wall and 'making good' was £11,000

I did think of doing it by an "hour rate"....visualising it taking about two weeks for two people at £80 per hour.  So 160 hours ....£12,800 then doubling that for materials. This is a perversed way that I calculate cost of work at the house whereby I double the price of materials to get a ballpark figure for the total job.

So around £25,000. Does that sound reasonable? Maybe I'm way out.  

Just now, stort_mark said:

Does that sound reasonable? Maybe I'm way out. 

It is impossible to guess - Example are you using 'wood', MDF, chipboard, or Granite for worktops ?, Plywood, hardboard or wood for the floors & walls, ? What insulation are you using Polystyrene, Celotex, Spray-Foam etc etc etc ......................I'd say £25k should be achievable (excluding appliances)

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is impossible to guess - Example are you using 'wood', MDF, chipboard, or Granite for worktops ?, Plywood, hardboard or wood for the floors & walls, ? What insulation are you using Polystyrene, Celotex, Spray-Foam etc etc etc ......................I'd say £25k should be achievable (excluding appliances)

Thanks so much, Alan.

I realise that materials have a huge impact on cost, which was why I originally suggested cheap and cheerful :)

The boat is for weekend use and summer use.....like a two-or three-season tent....and not over-complicate things. I think when we originally fitted the boat out we put in too many things that took it 'upmarket' when our use didn't really warrant it - CH, big inverter and 240v, pump out toilet - and we didn't do it well enough. This time, I want it to be simpler, cheaper....

• Greenie 1

You can save a fair amount of money on materials, simply by having a layout plan and a list. Then keep a good eye on the websites. Which is the method I used for the current refit. For example, last October I spotted a Shaws Kitchen sink on ebay, these are not cheap £300 from the company. I brought the sink for £35 still boxed. it cost me another £35 to get it. I still saved £230 and had a very nice look sink. With things like tiles and kitchen units, compaines will soon start to clear out this years stock for next years. Great savings can be found, just make sure you buy enough to do the job, As often the tiles cannot be reordered as they are end of line items, but you be buying for 1/3 to 1/4 of the retail price, With kitchen doors, where possable use a standard size, this means you only need one spare.  With second hand items you do have to be careful moreso when it is gas.  By carefull buying you can cut up to a 1/3 of your planned purchases. You can often get a good deal in the afternoon of the last day of boat show if one was on.    

Paying £80 an hour sounds a bit daft for a time frame job. Most boat carpenters/builders that I know charge daily rate averaging about £125 for a 8 hour day and they quote for the completed job inc labour and no mention of hourly rate.

Just did a strip and refit of a 57ftx12ft widebeam, new bedroom, bathroom(new shower/sink/toilet)full Kitchen (with all new appliances)new LED lights throughout, kept floor, bulkheads, side walls and most of ceiling, also new batteries, alternator and wiring plus wheel house refurb and new canvas roof, cost to customer, £16,000 all in inc labour. 
  The cost can vary enormously as to where you are in the country and to who you use. Just watch an episode of “Homes under the Hammer” to see the variations in prices, it’s the same with boats.

Edited by PD1964

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

Most boat carpenters/builders that I know charge daily rate averaging about £125 for a 8 hour day

I wish I could find even a 'jobbing goffer' for £15 an hour (£120/day), any one with any 'skills' would not get out of bed for that rate - and - getting a 'yard' to do the work is going to be in excess of £50-£60 / hr + VAT of which obviously there is an element of overheads and profit, holiday / sick pay etc, but that's what the customer had to pay.

19 hours ago, stort_mark said:

Thanks so much, Alan.

I realise that materials have a huge impact on cost, which was why I originally suggested cheap and cheerful :)

The boat is for weekend use and summer use.....like a two-or three-season tent....and not over-complicate things. I think when we originally fitted the boat out we put in too many things that took it 'upmarket' when our use didn't really warrant it - CH, big inverter and 240v, pump out toilet - and we didn't do it well enough. This time, I want it to be simpler, cheaper....

I would suggest that even for a "holiday" boat you are still going to need some heating, even if you only use it for a couple of months of the year.
And if you are going to fit an inverter then the bigger the better.

I would be amazed if on a complete stripout and refit, the stripping cost anything like half of the cost.

However I would not be at all surprised if a complete strip out and refit (even if you did the strip out) cost a good chunk of cost of a new fitted out boat!

Personally I would very much be looking to freshen up and replace certain bits while keeping as much as you practically could.

Depending on where you are you can get still get good trades people for £120/day, but £220/day is equally common and fitting out a boat is different to lane based work especially if it is floating and or not levelled up at the time. For a start, you cant use a spirit level for anything, which would render a decent chunky of carpenters speechless.

Depending on what the cladding on the walls/ceiling it, internal partitions etc I wouldn't see why that would need changing.

- You might want to expand the electrics including some more outlets for people to charge phones etc, maybe new led light fittings but the rest should be good.

- You might want a new or freshen up kitchen units and or worktop, or bathroom, new mattress on the beds.

But yes, certainly if you start saying "totally re-done, except for" rather than "how much to replace/renew xyx" you might struggle with sensible answers or anyone wishing to do the work!

Daniel 

Edited by DHutch
Missing 'half' added

2 hours ago, DHutch said:

I would be amazed if on a complete stripout and refit, the stripping cost anything like of the cost.

However I would not be at all surprised if a complete strip out and refit (even if you did the strip out) cost a good chunk of cost of a new fitted out boat!

can't quite get the meaning of this?

3 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

can't quite get the meaning of this?

I'm guessing there is some missing worms, maybe :

2 hours ago, DHutch said:

.....   would be amazed if on a complete stripout and refit, the stripping cost anything like of the cost.

Could be something like "I would be amazed if on a complete stripout and refit, the labout for stripping cost anything like 1/3 of the total cost.

(1/3rd strip out labour, 1/3rd Rebuild labour 1/3 rd materials)"