Wheel or Tiller on a widebeam

Lady J

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I have developed an interest into how forums operate, over about 14 years.

The one thing that fascinates me is the forum poster who complains about the behaviour of others but then immediately displays the exact same behaviour themselves......it is extremely prevalent on here.......as in extremely. 

Or the one who complains about an argument in thread whilst re igniting a long since dead argument.

There must be a phd in that?

I apologise if I have offended you @happynomad. I was sending a message to Lady J to encourage her to continue with the forum. Perhaps it would have been more appropriate if I had sent a private message. M

7 minutes ago, MrsM said:

I apologise if I have offended you @happynomad. I was sending a message to Lady J to encourage her to continue with the forum. Perhaps it would have been more appropriate if I had sent a private message. M

Absolutely no need to apologise.

I was simply making a comment on the back of your post, BUT  your response was valuable as it proves the potential for misunderstanding.....which is another isse with forums.

8 hours ago, MrsM said:

@Lady J please don't let it put you off. As an ex-teacher I thought young teenage girls were the most quarrelsome creatures on the planet, but occasionally these guys give them a run for their money! ? They are all usually brilliant though and I have learnt so much since first lurking and then eventually joining in. Enjoy your boat and your new life afloat. Mx

lol, that's pretty accurate...

sometimes I feel like a sassy teenage girl... and there are quite a few of us ... ?

• Love 1

Our old barge was wheel, chain and wire with an emergency tiller.

We could see the top of the rudder from the wheelhouse so didn't need a rudder indicator, on a widebeam I suspect you'd need one.

Our cable snapped one day in the middle of nowhere (lucky because we didn't hit anything, unlucky because there were no shops to buy new cable).  

We had to use the emergency tiller to go a few miles including down a lock.

I stood on the rear of the boat with the tiller while my wife operated the throttle and bow-thruster from the wheelhouse. 

If I was having a new boat kitted out I'd go for wheel and a strong bow-thruster. (Now being a certain age and fitness level). 

On 07/09/2020 at 22:35, MrsM said:

You cerainly didn’t offend me MrsM... I suspect a case of mistaken identity between me (happynomad) and the similary named @The Happy Nomad.

• Happy 1

• 11 months later...

Personally, I found our 35ft wide beams cruisers on the Thames with wheel steering, provided sufficient feed back  provided they had Morse single cable steering. The mechanical systems were  less so and  the few hydraulic ones I have driven even worse. We did mark a wheel spoke to indicate the straight ahead position.

There is a safety concern with a tiller in certain circumstances. that is when winding or backing into the cill in a lock,if you are standing or sitting within the tiller arc,there is a possibility of being shoved off.

A wheel I find more comfortable and also fitting a steering knob,as well as being a rudder indicator,it allows rapid lock to lock turns when winding or mooring in confined spaces.

17 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

There is a safety concern with a tiller in certain circumstances. that is when winding or backing into the cill in a lock,if you are standing or sitting within the tiller arc,there is a possibility of being shoved off.

A wheel I find more comfortable and also fitting a steering knob,as well as being a rudder indicator,it allows rapid lock to lock turns when winding or mooring in confined spaces.

Easily remedied by not standing in the arc of the tiller when steering.

Hated the wheel-steered widebeam we hired earlier this year on the L&L-- no feel, unresponsive (Vetus gear with 6 turns lock-to-lock!), difficult to keep straight at canal speeds even with rudder indicator (behind steerer, on top or rudder).

Wouldn't touch one again with a bargepole of any length... 😞

5 hours ago, IanD said:

Hated the wheel-steered widebeam we hired earlier this year on the L&L-- no feel, unresponsive (Vetus gear with 6 turns lock-to-lock!), difficult to keep straight at canal speeds even with rudder indicator (behind steerer, on top or rudder).

Wouldn't touch one again with a bargepole of any length... 😞

You dont need one with 2 barge poles at the front...

20210909_224024.jpg

• Horror 1