Wheel or Tiller on a widebeam

Lady J

Featured Posts

On 04/09/2020 at 00:15, bizzard said:

I used to dine in a High chair. We lived in a pre-fab. When I'd had my din din the highchair was passed over the fence to Mrs Harold in the pre fab next door so that daughter Lyne could have her din din sitting in it. It was a wooden one. I'm uncertain who it belonged to, my mum or Mrs Harold. We shared lots of things, even the toilet because they kept getting bunged up. All sorts of things were shared over the fences in those days and gossip.

OIP.nv3jyfiehFyvJobzB9Ek-gCkEs.jpg

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, PD1964 said:

I wasn’t going to post on here again but I will answer this. This is what I posted 

“.Please do a search as this has been asked many times before with good advice. Will save you time and typing”

Along with a link, I was not rude or bad mannered, I just informed the OP of the search engine as the same question was asked in July 2019 and it was answered comprehensively, if anyone disrupted the Thread I would say it was “Happy Nomad” with his snide patronising comments to various posters and not one piece of constructive advice to the OP. 
  The search engine works so I don’t see why people don’t use it to save time.

As you can see from the thread a number of people agree with my point about using the search engine so I am not sure why you actually have bothered to post again.

(I would love to know what you removed though).

As for the snide comments? - well given the several snide and patronising comments you made in thread I would say you are not really in a good postion to complain.

Pot calling kettle springs to mind.

Oh BTW and I did offer advice saying my preference was for using a tiller because I found them more 'precise'. Your response to that was to nit pick about the choice of word saying perhaps I should have said 'responsive'.  ??

Edited by The Happy Nomad

25 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

As you can see from the thread a number of people agree with my point about using the search engine so I am not sure why you actually have bothered to post again.

(I would love to know what you removed though).

As for the snide comments? - well given the several snide and patronising comments you made in thread I would say you are not really in a good postion to complain.

Pot calling kettle springs to mind.

Oh BTW and I did offer advice saying my preference was for using a tiller because I found them more 'precise'. Your response to that was to nit pick about the choice of word saying perhaps I should have said 'responsive'.  ??

You just don't give up do you.

Oh, yes, your imaginary granddaughter has got one of these hasnt she...

tenor.gif

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

You just don't give up do you.

Oh, yes, your imaginary granddaughter has got one of these hasnt she...

The argument had long since subsided and died down and it was reserected so I responded. Your 'dont give up' comment would have been better directed elsewhere.

Not sure what the last sentence is about, my daughter and granddaughter are far from imaginary so that frankly is an utterly stupid thing to say. They also have a mini dash, which is what I said when I responded last time.

Just for confirmation though they both feature in this news item, you can hear the dog in the background. Ive posted this before on here.

Evidence enough?

Oliver, her Miniature Dachshund

20200807_185832.jpg

7 minutes ago, Lady J said:

Huge thanks to all of those who have taken the trouble to offer me valued advice.

As for my starting WW3 re not following search protocol to reference old threads - I am very sorry.

I am new to owning a widebeam (and to this platform) and I am understandably apprehensive regarding navigating a huge (to me) boat 

I have owned small cruisers but never a narrowboat. One of the reasons I have made the decision to live on a widebeam on a marina is my past experience re the love shown by the boating community - I have never known such  kind and helpful people - sadly I cannot say quite the same about the hostile reception here! So many wonderful people here too, but sadly the 'canalworld police' are not so warm. Maybe newcomers to this fantastic forum should be allowed a little understanding until they fin their way around! 

And yes, I am a woman! xx

Lady J . Take no notice of all the silly crap above ''including mine if you like'' Old codgers you know, they can't help it.  Hope you have a very. happy time on your new boat. :)

• Greenie 4

1 hour ago, Lady J said:

Huge thanks to all of those who have taken the trouble to offer me valued advice.

As for my starting WW3 re not following search protocol to reference old threads - I am very sorry.

I am new to owning a widebeam (and to this platform) and I am understandably apprehensive regarding navigating a huge (to me) boat 

I have owned small cruisers but never a narrowboat. One of the reasons I have made the decision to live on a widebeam on a marina is my past experience re the love shown by the boating community - I have never known such  kind and helpful people - sadly I cannot say quite the same about the hostile reception here! So many wonderful people here too, but sadly the 'canalworld police' are not so warm. Maybe newcomers to this fantastic forum should be allowed a little understanding until they fin their way around! 

Ignore the childish bickering and enjoy your life on your widebeam and, hopefully, here :)

• Greenie 2

By the way this performance with the Highchair was carried out three times a day, even in the rain, breakfast, dinner and teatime. who got the Highchair first was the hungriest. I also shared my tricycle with Lyne, Ken and Pam in the pre fab on the other side of us.  The main big perambulator with big wheels and hood was also shared between us, Mrs Harold, Mrs Bolton, mum of Ken and Pam and Mrs Willie mum of Vernon and Malcolm, who lived in a flatlet in Loxford Hall opposite us, Mr Willie was the caretaker there.

When the big pram became redundant I removed the body, mounted it upon a plank, using its wheels to make a steerable trolley, soapox cart they call em now.

All these mums used to come to our pre fab quite regularly, wher In the kitchen my mum and sister used to perform home hair perms on em all, with the ''Toni home perm kits''.  Everything stank of ammonia and peroxide, even the cups of tea were tainted with it.  My sister used to plait Pams hair into Pigtails, she should have been a sailor and Pam a pirate.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Paul HD said:

I am sure I have seen a wide beam that had both wheel and tiller. Would that be possible?

Many cruisers are wheel steering, but have the ability to 'lift a hatch' and insert a tiller arm so, in case of power or hydraulic failure the boat can be steered manually.

You can see it on our 'Cat' (circled).

It is about the same size as a fuel filler or pump-out 'screw cap', remove cap and insert emergency tiller arm down the hole and it locates into the rudder.

InkedIMG_1041_LI.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

On 04/09/2020 at 07:40, WotEver said:

I did that on a mate’s little Norman. I couldn’t keep the thing straight for love nor money. He took over and did a marvellous job. I left him to it and had another beer. 

I was very close to buying a norman 20, did a test drive(?), although the owner praised my skill (which he taught me in 5 mins), it was really hard to keep it straight, nearly hit a moored narrowboat.

I guess the bigger fatter grps handle better.

On topic: think the wheel can be operated while sitting on a chair... so that's an advantage

18 hours ago, Lady J said:

Please don't get offended, the people who you think are 'rude' will be your best mates.... do hang around... and women are equal to men now a days, so its irrelevant :)

I believe the original advice to search before you post was made in good faith, not to attack you. However I would prefer if new members open a new thread, because every case is slightly different, plus what is a forum without new threads?

Edited by restlessnomad

On 04/09/2020 at 19:22, magpie patrick said:

This is also a discussion forum and there is no harm in having the same discussion again, it may tease out something new and it certainly gives the chance for a new angle on questions.

Telling new members to use the search forum is rather like telling the new guy or girl in the pub to shut up and go away - we were all beginners once. 

Virtual green thing and a real pint if we ever meet in the real world

• Greenie 3

2 hours ago, Paul HD said:

I am sure I have seen a wide beam that had both wheel and tiller. Would that be possible?

A friend and I hired a narrowboat with a wheel and a tiller from the Lyneal Trust https://www.lyneal-trust.org.uk/the-lass/ to take a disabled friend on a canal holiday,  so it is eminently possible.  However I suspect it is not a cheap option.

On 06/09/2020 at 11:39, peterboat said:

I can connect a tiller to mine, I then have to turn valves on the H block, I think it's a BSS requirement? But could be wrong 

It's tucked away in MGN280 (Small Vessels in Commercial Use for Sport or Pleasure, Workboats and Pilot Boats – Alternative Construction Standards)

9.1.3 When steering gear is fitted with remote control, arrangements should be made for emergency steering in the event of failure of the control. Arrangements may take the form of the following, and be to the satisfaction of the Certifying Authority:-
.1 a tiller to fit the head of the rudder stock; or
.2 a rod attachment which may be fitted to a Z-drive framework; or
.3 a steering oar; or
.4 in the case of twin screw vessels manipulation of power distribution between the drives.
In the case of twin stern-drive arrangements, means should be provided to lock the drives in the midships position; or
.5 in the case of a vessel fitted with outboard(s), a means to control the direction of thrust.
  • Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Paul HD said:

9 hours ago, WotEver said:

Yup, perfectly possible.

9 hours ago, peterboat said:

I can connect a tiller to mine, I then have to turn valves on the H block, I think it's a BSS requirement? But could be wrong 

7 hours ago, cuthound said:

A friend and I hired a narrowboat with a wheel and a tiller from the Lyneal Trust https://www.lyneal-trust.org.uk/the-lass/ to take a disabled friend on a canal holiday,  so it is eminently possible.  However I suspect it is not a cheap option.

There you go Lady J, Go for both.

On 04/09/2020 at 19:22, magpie patrick said:

As  boater I would say it depends on the boat, the water and on the power - the bigger the boat, the rougher the water and the more powerful the engine the better a wheel will be simply because a tiller gets very cumbersome and might even fight back. On a 60 foot long widebeam it will be six of one and half a dozen of the other, on a channel ferry a tiller would throw the skipper over the side, on most narrow boats a wheel simply isn't necessary

That's a good point Patrick. I've been up and down the tidal Thames through London in very choppy waters and the tiller didn't seem particularly difficult to handle, but a wheel probably would be easier. 

On 05/09/2020 at 17:23, Lady J said:

So many wonderful people here too, but sadly the 'canalworld police' are not so warm. Maybe newcomers to this fantastic forum should be allowed a little understanding until they fin their way around! 

Just ignore them. There's a small minority on here that can't let the other guy have the last word. Get two of them on the same thread and the ding dong just continues without any new points of value being made. The rest of us oldies here get just as p***ed off about it as newbies like you do.

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

On 05/09/2020 at 17:23, Lady J said:

I replied early on as an owner of a similar size widebeam that I have converted from tiller to wheel, l expressed my thoughts on the issues but on the whole the wheel is better for me than the tiller. I do go out cruising and whilst the tiller is quicker the comfort and having the controls to hand make for me the wheel better. 

This real personal experience over 10 years with my boat 

@Lady J please don't let it put you off. As an ex-teacher I thought young teenage girls were the most quarrelsome creatures on the planet, but occasionally these guys give them a run for their money! ? They are all usually brilliant though and I have learnt so much since first lurking and then eventually joining in. Enjoy your boat and your new life afloat. Mx

• Greenie 2

7 hours ago, MrsM said:

@Lady J please don't let it put you off. As an ex-teacher I thought young teenage girls were the most quarrelsome creatures on the planet, but occasionally these guys give them a run for their money! ? They are all usually brilliant though and I have learnt so much since first lurking and then eventually joining in. Enjoy your boat and your new life afloat. Mx

I have developed an interest into how forums operate, over about 14 years.

The one thing that fascinates me is the forum poster who complains about the behaviour of others but then immediately displays the exact same behaviour themselves......it is extremely prevalent on here.......as in extremely. 

Or the one who complains about an argument in thread whilst re igniting a long since dead argument.

There must be a phd in that?