Oops! The Waverley has a broken nose

haggis

Featured Posts

31 minutes ago, haggis said:

The poor Waverley, which has just retired to service after an expensive boiler refit and Covid 19 has had a wee accident.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-54011504

haggis

We went on a trip from Llandudno 4 or 5 years ago aboard the Waverley. I was surprised at the speed a paddle steamer could achieve.

It is a lovely ship. I hope they sort out repairs asap.

Edited by PhilR
typo

4 minutes ago, PhilR said:

We went on a trip from Llandudno 4 or 5 years ago aboard the Waverley. I was surprised at the speed a paddle steamer could achieve.

It is a lovely ship. I hope they sort out repairs asap.

Hope so, Phil and thanks for the heads up on the typo ? 

haggis

I nearly went for a trip on it in 1982 at Hastings.  It tried to berth on the end of the pier but there was a big swell in the channel and it bumped the pier several times, couldn't so went paddling off round to Margate instead. It was moored on the Thames embankment for a while in the 1970's.

Waverley is a seriously difficult beast to handle.

An inability to oppose the paddle wheels makes for an interesting and speedy approach being the norm to keep water flow on the rudder. 

However, having almost 100% stern power is a bonus, but looks like it was not quite enough on this occasion.

1 hour ago, MarkH2159 said:

Waverley is a seriously difficult beast to handle.

An inability to oppose the paddle wheels makes for an interesting and speedy approach being the norm to keep water flow on the rudder. 

However, having almost 100% stern power is a bonus, but looks like it was not quite enough on this occasion.

Oh, that makes sense. What a shame that it is built like that, loses key advantage of a paddle steamer!

3 hours ago, Alastair said:

Oh, that makes sense. What a shame that it is built like that, loses key advantage of a paddle steamer!

If you are referring to not being able to run each paddle independently I have the impression there was a serious accident many years ago that cost lives that lead to independent paddles being banned.

Yes.

I remember a conversation with a fellow member of our model engineering club. He was a Commander (E) RN rtd.

(I think we were looking at the engine in the Waverley at the time, as were Tim 'n' Pru)

He talked about a paddle steamer, it might have been a tug, capsizing when the paddle wheels were put into contrarotation.

12 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Yes.

I remember a conversation with a fellow member of our model engineering club. He was a Commander (E) RN rtd.

(I think we were looking at the engine in the Waverley at the time, as were Tim 'n' Pru)

He talked about a paddle steamer, it might have been a tug, capsizing when the paddle wheels were put into contrarotation.

thanks for confirming, I thought it was a pleasure steamer on the London river, not that it matters.

2 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Yes.

Oh, OK, I can imagine that happening if done at speed or with high revs.

Sounds like operator error though; you can capsize a perfectly sound powerboat by turning it too tight through its own wake. Not design problem, operator error. 

2 hours ago, Alastair said:

Oh, OK, I can imagine that happening if done at speed or with high revs.

Sounds like operator error though; you can capsize a perfectly sound powerboat by turning it too tight through its own wake. Not design problem, operator error. 

But if the then Board of Trade decided it was no longer allowed that's it. Much as if the MRCA came up with a new regulation today.

15 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

But if the then Board of Trade decided it was no longer allowed that's it. Much as if the MRCA came up with a new regulation today.

To my Knowledge, commercial paddle steamers were stopped from operating with independant paddles many years ago. However, RMAS the MOD organisation that works with the Royal Navy had a class of paddle tugs built around the 1960's specially for Naval dockyard work especially to handle aircraft carriers and other major warships because of their great manoeuvrability. Maybe one of our ex Navy members may remember them. I can certainly remember seeing them in Portsmouth. 

Howard

2 minutes ago, howardang said:

To my Knowledge, commercial paddle steamers were stopped from operating with independant paddles many years ago. However, RMAS the MOD organisation that works with the Royal Navy had a class of paddle tugs built around the 1960's specially for Naval dockyard work especially to handle aircraft carriers and other major warships because of their great manoeuvrability. Maybe one of our ex Navy members may remember them. I can certainly remember seeing them in Portsmouth. 

Howard

I can't see civil regulations being applied to the services.The Navy can probably do as they like.

16 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I can't see civil regulations being applied to the services.The Navy can probably do as they like.

That is probably true but to some extent it is now academic. The Navy used paddle tugs for many years with the last one only going out of service in the 1980's. Although we now have a couple of large carriers, modern tugs can do the job better with modern traction methods - azithmuth pods, Voith Schneider and such - so paddlers have gone for good.

Howard

In the 1950's dad often used to take me on the Woolwich Free Ferry in East London when it was operated by paddle boats. A visit to the viewing area of the engine room was one of the highlights of the trip. I feel sure that the paddles were operable independantly, each paddle having its own engine and bridge telegraph. They were replaced by the present diesel ferry boats, themselves about to be replaced, in the early 1960's. 

We went for a trip on the Waverly a few years ago, Southend to Tower Bridge,  calling at Tilbury in both directions,  passing under Tower Bridge, but not stopping at Tower Pier. Gorgeous sunny weather!  I was surprised at how vibration-free it was, compared with diesel-powered ships, as well as the speed. Southend pier had been damaged earlier (not by Waverly!), but they managed to patch it up just in time for Waverly to use it. We were looking forward to another trip this year. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
Further thoughts, typo.