Bent tiller bar

Onionman

Featured Posts

Mrs Onionman is significantly shorter than I am and suffers arm strain when she's steering us as her hand is up nearer shoulder level than waist level.

We're considering having a tiller bar for her with an S bend in it. Does anyone have experience of this. We have plenty of good engineering firms around who should be able to do it; just wondering if anyone's done similar and if there are any drawbacks.

5 minutes ago, Onionman said:

Mrs Onionman is significantly shorter than I am and suffers arm strain when she's steering us as her hand is up nearer shoulder level than waist level.

We're considering having a tiller bar for her with an S bend in it. Does anyone have experience of this. We have plenty of good engineering firms around who should be able to do it; just wondering if anyone's done similar and if there are any drawbacks.

I have seen aSwan Neck with two tiller stubs about 6" above each other but can't find the photo at the moment but like this 

tiller.jpg

1 hour ago, Onionman said:

Our old share boat had a second tiller bar with two right angle joints in it to lower it (by a few inches) for the shorter owners.  

I noticed that the geometry magnified the little bit of play between bar and swan neck, but it seemed to work well enough for those that wanted to use it. 

10 hours ago, Ray T said:

Being of shorter stature I stand on this Box.

The box also holds goat chains, some tools and other useful items.

DSCF2193.JPG

Tiller adapter.

631333180_13z2021.jpg.8458f1f65e30f4e8b713dbd9be91e280.jpg

Tha's a great solution (IMO). Saves taking the tiller off to weld something on and looks reasonably easy to make.

We're lucky in that we live in the country (where birds shout and Coos poo) hence there is a blacksmith around to make things. Probably more difficult in an urban environment...

Thanks for all the ideas. The step idea is a good one as Mrs Onionman has trouble seeing the front of the boat.

However, a step would cause a major problem, namely that if I were crossing the empty vastness of the Sahara on foot, I'd trip over a coffee table. I'm so clumsy it's unbelievable. Add a step to the back of the boat and I'd be over the side before you could say "Don't trip over the st".

It's a shared boat so welding an extra tube, while a fine idea, is not going to happen.

I'll post whatever we end up with.

Thanks again, all.

8 minutes ago, Onionman said:

It's a shared boat so welding an extra tube, while a fine idea, is not going to happen.

Show a metalworker the image in the post above yours and ask him to make the top bit a sliding fit over the tiller, and the bottom bit to be a hinged clamp that you can tighten with a wingnut.  Bingo! No welding.

16 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Show a metalworker the image in the post above yours and ask him to make the top bit a sliding fit over the tiller, and the bottom bit to be a hinged clamp that you can tighten with a wingnut.  Bingo! No welding.

Got it. Like that idea.

On 03/09/2020 at 20:30, Onionman said:

>> We're considering having a tiller bar for her with an S bend in it. Does anyone have experience of this. We have plenty of good engineering firms around who should be able to do it; just wondering if anyone's done similar and if there are any drawbacks.

The only drawback I can think of is that it would annoy the purists if it was steel and not shiny yellow metal.

If you have a tiller with a 'Z' kink in it, the tiller pin will hold it quite happily, so get your local tin basher to fabricate one. I suggest you then paint it in a vivid colour, preferably one that clashes violently with the boat livery. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Onionman said:

Thanks for all the ideas. The step idea is a good one as Mrs Onionman has trouble seeing the front of the boat.

However, a step would cause a major problem, namely that if I were crossing the empty vastness of the Sahara on foot, I'd trip over a coffee table. I'm so clumsy it's unbelievable. Add a step to the back of the boat and I'd be over the side before you could say "Don't trip over the st".

Plasterer's stilts for Onionwoman ... ;)

412KAIbj7SL._AC_SY400_.jpg

She can see over the boat and you won't trip over a step!

• Greenie 1

21 hours ago, Onionman said:

I'll post whatever we end up with.

Thanks again, all.

You could get some stilts for the missus, however she would have to be careful not to trip over them when she takes them off ???

Damn, The Biscuits got there first. Teach me to read all of the thread before responding.

Edited by cuthound
To add the last paragraph