Oil From The Crank Pulley Wheel?

Quattrodave

Featured Posts

Afternoon all,

Quick question, 2.2 BMC I have what looks to be oil coming from the centre of the front crank pulley wheel, i'm a little confused as to how its getting there.  If it was the back then I'd suspect the front engine oil seal, but the front of the pulley?

Any ideas??

Thanks

Dave

Edited by Quattrodave

If it really is from the centre, around the nut and washer that holds the pulley on, it must be coming between the crankshaft nose and the inside of the pulley because the front oil seal runs on the outside of the crankshaft boss.

I can only assume therefore that the pulley bolt is not tight and that oil is passing between the front of the crank sprocket and the rear of the crank pulley boss.

There is no seal there, it depends on a tight metal to metal assembly.

Download  https://faseopeseo.weebly.com/blog/bmc-22-commander-manual   and you will see what I mean.

21 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I can't remember enough to be sure but don't they have an oil thrower behind the pullet. If so I wonder if its been left out.

I can't remember either.  It was not a vital part, I suspect its main function was to seal between the pulley and the sprocket or gear being softer metal.

to be honest I thought it was a solid pulley, it was a friend that wondered if it was an harmonic damper. Definitely a 2.2. A good question about the nut being right, I'll check at the weekend, any idea what  socket size it is.  Is there a specific way to lock the crank?

5 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

to be honest I thought it was a solid pulley, it was a friend that wondered if it was an harmonic damper. Definitely a 2.2. A good question about the nut being right, I'll check at the weekend, any idea what  socket size it is.  Is there a specific way to lock the crank?

I think its the same size as the calor spanner. 

I lock the crank by removing the starter motor and put a bar in the ring gear.

On 03/09/2020 at 18:18, OptedOut said:

Recommend some sealant on the shaft should there be any 'slack running' wear present.

I would hesitate about putting any sealant on the shaft. The OP would never get the pulley back off.

I would put sealant between the bolt and the pulley and/or between the pulley and slinger/chain sprocket if the OP can remove the pulley.

I don't know but there might be a chance that the threaded hole for that pulley dog bolt in the crankshaft might be drilled through into the hollow crankshaft, in which case if it is it will be subject to the engine oil and pressure.

I think the OP should put some tissue under the pulley and use the boat for a while because I don't think the photo shows anything of major concern.  I am not convinced its still leaking if it ever was. The belt and the hose that seems to be in line with any oil being thrown off is absolutely oil free.

Thanks for the replies,

Yes, correct amount of oil. As along as the dipstick is correct!  The nut feels tight with the adjustable spanner I have with me, I'll bring the torque wrench with me in a few days and double check.  If I clean the pulley, it takes about 30 mins running to get back to how it looks in the picture.  I've put some white tissue below and it doesn't appear to be leaking elsewhere.  Yes the dog has got.a hole through it, I didn't realise that! Feels clean and dry in there tho...

P.S. I've just cleaned it, I want to double check it only leaks when running....

Edited by Quattrodave
typo

If you clean it off with solvent, that will dissolve whatever gunk there is behind the starter dog and that will spin out if you start it up. Let it dry before firing the engine up and see what shows then.

I've never seen a BMC engine that didn't have a minor oil leak somewhere, its traditional.

• Love 1

11 hours ago, Man 'o Kent said:

Cameras tell porkies but from what I see that looks more like the results of fretting corrosion than oil leak.

could be. The official marinisation came with a cast/machined pulley and this one seems to have had  a rivet replaced with a setscrew so maybe the blue pressed parts are fretting on the boss.

• 2 months later...
On 03/09/2020 at 18:06, Tony Brooks said:

I can't remember enough to be sure but don't they have an oil thrower behind the pullet. If so I wonder if its been left out.

My 1.5 certainly does.