Wanted automatic bilge pump

tagulablue

Featured Posts

As an afterthought, unless you are always going to be operating it in person, the cigar plug is about the worst possible connector for a bilge pump, as they randomly disconnect themselves.

If you will always be using it in person rather than leaving it connected this isn't an issue, but in that case you don't need to pay the extra for an automatic pump with a float switch.

1 minute ago, tagulablue said:

Thanks Biscuits ...the pump as 3 wires and cigar lighter 2 wires... please excuse my ignorance

One of the wires is manual override, one is via the float switch and the other is neutral.

You only need to connect 2 of the wires, either always on when plugged in or only on when there's enough water to trigger the float switch.

See my earlier post for why it's not ideal for leaving connected to a cigar soçket.

If it's a permanent installation, you could take the power from the connections behind the cigar soçket instead.

2 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

Pedant alert - NEGATIVE

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

And/or COMMON?

Thanks both ... Yes!

Brain fade on posting - I can't even blame that one on autocorrect.

I think of it as being accurate rather than pedantic, as I used the wrong term for what I was discussing and it does matter in this case.